The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Maverick6937
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
up here in western canada, it sucks man, im going through the "system" right now. You have to be 16 before you can go for you "Learners", you need to take one of those multiple choice test thats is worded just so as to screw you up. Then when you pass that you get a your L and then you have to get 60 hours behind the wheel, all the while with a driver over 25 mentoring you. Then after a year of that, you need to pay about a hundred bucks to get your Novice license. Then two years with that unless you take the stupid drivers ed course. 800 bucks for 4 in class lessons, and 2 in car lessons with 3 other kids, so you might get 15 minutes driving time. And then insurance.... my lord, i could rant on this for hours.... pisses me right off!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Iman901
Senior User
here in oregon, you have to be 16 and have had your permit for 6 months, and 100 hours of driving practice or 50 if you took drivers ed, you also have to prove that your're still in school

Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 AM
purecountry
Senior User
Wow some of you guys have expensive as hell insurance.........Mine is $60 dollars a month. And Tenn. it was permit at 15, restricted at 16, curfew, no more than one non-relative, then full liscense at 17.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Going between the cones? Try that in an 18 wheeler! It's called a serpentine maneuver. Parallel parking is a real challenge with a 53' X 102" trailer! Now that's 2.5 Million Miles talking. I've had to move quickly too many times for my liking! Remind yourselves that you are learning to drive a 1900 - 5400lb. BULLET , When I'm driving an 80,000lb BOMB! (Drove 1980 - 2002) Guys, Do me 1 big favor,,,,, Don't get behind the wheel thinking your "BULLETPROOF" either! AND,,,You're no Nascar, NHRA,IHRA Drivers also! That's the BIG problem. Now, on the driving test, take it slow and steady, but up to the instructor's requests! BTW, When I was in Driver's Ed.,,, The instructors did little tricks to get you to drive safely and in a "Professional Manner" like putting a cup of water on the dash to get you used to doing "Progressive" starts & stops. So, From me to you learning to drive,,,,,"Think, Before you Turn The Key" And I'm not talking about your dates either!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:15 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote=purecountry;6294185]Wow some of you guys have expensive as hell insurance.........Mine is $60 dollars a month.quote]

Geeezus, I hate you. I pay 65 a month just for my bike.

Colorado just changed to licence at 17 I think? When I lived there I got a full licence at 16, the only restriction was a midnight curfew in the town next to where I lived, but it wasn't enforced. A friend of mine got a full hardship licence at 14 and a half, because he lived with his grandpa couldn't walk.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:26 AM
bliff_man
Senior User
Im from Texas, at 15 I went to Drivers ED. I think it was like 2or 3 weeks long. It was a combination of classroom study and drving. At the end you take a drivers test, which allows you to go to the DMV to take the written test. At 15, you are given a permit. I think the permits allows you to drive with someone at least 21 I think. When I got my license at 16 there really werent any rescritions, but from my understanding they now have a curfew and a few other restrictions.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM
hillbilly4ever19
New User
in north carolina, you take drivers ed at 14 at your high school and then take a written test to get your permit at 15. for the first six months you cant drive from 9 pm to 5 am and you can only drive with someone over 18. then at 16 you get a limited provisional license that allows you to drive unsupervised but not between 9 and 5.but after six months if you have no tickets you get your full provisional license which lets you whenever. yall aare talking about insurance, my familys is thru the roof. we have three cars on it and both me and my sister have had wrecks and she has 2 speeding tickets.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:36 PM
irishguy824
Freshman User
Ohio:

At 15.5 years you can get your temporary lisence. This is a written test, not a road test. The passenger in the vehicle you are driving must be 21 years of age or older and have a valid drivers lisence. You must have so many hours (I think 40) driving.

You must attend a drivers education course which includes 24 hours of class time and passing a test, and 8 hours of in-car instruction from a school instructor.

At the age if 16 years old you can get your drivers lisence. You must pass a manuverability test and then a road test. You can take the test three times, after a third fail you must wait one year before taking the test again (unless this law has been changed since 2003). Also, if you pass manuverability and fail the road test, you do not have to re-take manuverability, just the road test.

As far as I know there is no law as to how many people are allowed in the vehicle dependant upon the age of the driver, as long as it's a safe number.

There is a curfew, as far as I know, that states a person under the age of 18 cannot drive between the hours of 12 AM and 5 AM except for driving to or from work or school activites. These hours may vary depending upon local curfew laws enforced by the city you are in.

Also, at 18 years old, you are no linger required to take a drivers education course or to have a certain numbers of driving with your temps. You can get you temps on your 18th birthday and then take your drivers exam the very next day.

I'm 23 and got my lisence at 17. Those were the laws in effect when I started driving, I am not sure of any have changed since then. If so, I apologize for the wrong information.