N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Damn, got my wings clipped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:43 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn, got my wings clipped!!!!!

Spent most of yesterday at the hospital, going back tomorrow for another cat scan and an ultrasound test. Getting tired of seeing my insides!

Doctors had fit when I told them I was going to Wendover for speed week - they are threatening to pull my driver's license. I know my driving has gotten worse, but I have not hit anyone in years, and never ran into any of them.

They want to restrict me to no more than 6 hours a day, 3 hours at any one time. No night driving or pulling a camp trailer. If I let them that pretty well screws my summer.

I don't know how they would ever check on me so it is tempting to go anyway, except if they do make it official the state will take the license, and make getting it back very difficult. You are better off with a DUI than a medical hold on your record!

Not sure just what I will do - I could go back to Wyoming and get a driver's license there, while I still have a valid California license to turn in. But it is very difficult to buy California insurance with an out-of-state license.

Getting old sucks, and if you are also sick they really screw you!!!!!!!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:25 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
That's a bummer Clint. The drive you have to Speedweek doesn't lend itself for much sight seeing along the way.

You might try posting up on the HAMB, I'd bet there's quite a few Californians heading that way, might find one to share the driving with you.

Old 07-25-2007, 12:00 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Don't they run shuttle buses out of Salt Lake City for speed week? Rent a hotel room in Wendover and fly to SLC?

Just an option that wouldn't require any driving by you.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:19 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AnOldDog
Don't they run shuttle buses out of Salt Lake City for speed week? Rent a hotel room in Wendover and fly to SLC?

Just an option that wouldn't require any driving by you.
Had not thought of using an airplane - they set aside a part of the Salt Flats where you can land a private plane. You see about anything with wings there - even had a couple of WW2 fighters parked there last year.

Forget getting a room in Wendover this late, but you could stay in about any small Nevada town and fly in every morning - would be fun!

Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 AM
Mecinoid
Elder User
What's the driving distance to Speedweek? 850 miles ???

Old 07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Mecinoid
What's the driving distance to Speedweek? 850 miles ???
For me, if I take the interstate and go through Reno. My preferred route is across Tioga Pass, (through Yosemite) and the secondary roads across central Nevada. This is about 100 miles shorter, and has lots of interesting country to look at. It also has a lot of junk to see - mostly old mine equipment and some ranch implements, but lots of old trucks too.

I like to make a big circle of my trips - not sure how I would return, maybe through Reno but could go through Las Vegas. I used to tell Liz I was taking a shortcut, but now that I am retired I can admit to going where ever the wind blows me.

I thank you guys for your concern. Mostly I was shocked to learn the Doctors could cause me to lose my driver's license.

More pictures today, and a long talk with my primary doctor have convinced me I should pass on Speedweek this year. They were concerned not only with the driving, but also with the high elevation, high heat, long days, large crowds, and being so far from medical help.

Things could go bad in a hurry, and, if so, most local hospitals would not be able to help me. Better to wait until I am healthy again before I get so far from home.

But thanks for your concern - there is always next year!

Old 07-26-2007, 06:51 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Ya boy, if your Doc's are concerned about other Doctors and being on the road, most definitely follow thier advice.

You can still come to Oakdale at the end of August for a cold one and a burger can't ya?

Heck, I'd even cook you and Liz a "as-needed" meal, long as you tell me what you want.

Of course my "meals" will be the basic things

Old 07-26-2007, 08:00 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I been known to break my diet for one meal, but you need to ask Dan how to make up a slab of ribs!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
I been known to break my diet for one meal, but you need to ask Dan how to make up a slab of ribs!
What's wrong with a slab of ribs? I make the BRITU (best ribs in the universe). All the fat melts away and what makes it taste juicy is the cartilage breaks down into geletin and stuff. A little salt, pepper, cayenne, sugar, cumin, and other secret stuff...

How could that do anyone harm? Well, there are those pesky nitrates.

I can cook up 6/8 racks at a time. I just need to plan about 6/7 hours of smokin' time.

Last edited by AnOldDog; 07-26-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Did I mention that I can make a North Carolina pulled pork sandwich that tastes so good it makes you want to lick a hole in the roof of your mouth?

Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Damn, and I was thinking burgers and bird...okay, I'll drag out a few other BBQ's if you guys need to get creative...I think the old Gas-CharBroil is set up, but I need to fill it with lava rock.

Just say the word and I'll be prepared.

Now I gotta get back to this block of Nugent on 104.1

Old 07-26-2007, 10:11 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Oh, in case ya wondering, it's Wango Tango right now

Old 07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I will bring up a gas fired grill - but I will not take it home. we got a new one and this one needs new ownership.

On edit, I seem to have lost one of my posts - anyway, I intend to hold the old dog to his promise, "so good it makes you want to lick a hole in the roof of your mouth."

Last edited by WillyB; 07-26-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
AnOldDog
Elder User
Originally Posted by WillyB
I intend to hold the old dog to his promise, "so good it makes you want to lick a hole in the roof of your mouth."
It takes about 16/18 hours to smoke pork butt to that point. I'll need to come up a day early to get 'er started.

I may be a pitifully poor mechanic, but I can COOK!

Old 07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I smoked some turkeys one year - 3 at a time and we still ran short. Fed over 50 people that time. Someone else tried to deep fat fry a couple, but his were not as popular as my smoked ones.

Smoked meat is a real treat. You ought to see the setup dan has built. He uses a woodstove to make the smoke, and then pipes it into the smoker.

Quick Reply: Damn, got my wings clipped!!!!!