Sponsored by:

Dirty Air

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink Dirty Air

I just changed the cabin air filter on my late model TOYOTA (yes, Toyota has enough respect for human life to equip its cabin air-condition. heating system with an air filter). I was horrified to see how much crap this thing has filtered out of the air my wife and I breathe.

So - question - has anyone tried to adapt a cabin air filter element to our EX's cabin air system? I suspect it would be near impossible to catch the OUTSIDE air, from the way the system is designed, but what about when the controls have it set to use only INSIDE air ? Any ideas? Where are the air intakes for the "front" and "rear" systems ?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you search you'll find that folks have adapted furnace filters to filter the incoming air.

It may be in the SD forum but I know there are instructions over at ford-trucks.com

Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
krcole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gee whiz......

I'm glad a great Japanese company like Toyota "has enough respect for human life" to include a cabin filter for you.

One question. The air circulating around your "cabin" is the exact air you suck in when not in the car or in the car with the windows down so... do they also issue a respirator for you to wear when you aren't in that fine automobile or the windows are cracked a bit?

If not just buy one and wear it when you ride in the Excursion and no modifications to the car will be necessary. This way you can ride with the windows down and not have to worry about the cabin filter not filtering all of the air before you breathe it.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:44 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6686L
I just changed the cabin air filter on my late model TOYOTA (yes, Toyota has enough respect for human life to equip its cabin air-condition. heating system with an air filter). I was horrified to see how much crap this thing has filtered out of the air my wife and I breathe.

So - question - has anyone tried to adapt a cabin air filter element to our EX's cabin air system? I suspect it would be near impossible to catch the OUTSIDE air, from the way the system is designed, but what about when the controls have it set to use only INSIDE air ? Any ideas? Where are the air intakes for the "front" and "rear" systems ?

Did your horny squirrel die? MAybe you should get another before cleaning air...or a respirator is a nice touch...

Old 04-07-2008, 12:28 PM
whjco
Elder User
Filtering the rear air intake should be real easy. You'd just need to install some filter bat behind the service door in the passenger side rear. The front would be a little more difficult because you'd have to mount the filter behind the baffle under the glove box and you'd have to defeat the controls to allow the intake to stay in recirculate position.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
6686L
Elder User
Originally Posted by whjco
Filtering the rear air intake should be real easy. You'd just need to install some filter bat behind the service door in the passenger side rear. The front would be a little more difficult because you'd have to mount the filter behind the baffle under the glove box and you'd have to defeat the controls to allow the intake to stay in recirculate position.
Yeah - that's what I figured -thanks for the response !

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
CommercialNuke
Senior User
Hey. Maybe you could strap the horny squirrel to your face. Then you would have squirrel filtered air and the squirrel would have something to do.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:51 PM
JWISE
Junior User
Originally Posted by CommercialNuke
Hey. Maybe you could strap the horny squirrel to your face. Then you would have squirrel filtered air and the squirrel would have something to do.
Shheese!!!!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:56 PM
improvement54
Senior User
Looks like "Krole" and "Igotone" are your typical "city boys" who have NO idea how us "country boys" live, and since they believe the world revolves around them, could care less.

Let me explain. Many of us who buy "severe service" capable vehicles like the Excursion, actually have a legit. reason for needing them. Much of our driving is on un-paved roads, or no roads at all. Here in northern Arizona, we have long periods, often half a year or more, when there is NO rain. Not so much as a drop. So our trails roads get dusty. REAL dusty, as each vehicle that passes, grinds up the talculm-like powder into ever finer particles, that are not good to breathe.

I am happy for you city boys that you can spend all your time on paved roads, just driving around in a vehicle like a Excursion to show how ruff and tuff you are, not necessarily because you actually NEED its capabilities.

Incidentally, IF you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that Toyotas are AMERICAN cars - designed here, built here, assembled out of AMERICAN sourced materials. Look at the "Monroney Sticker" next time you are at a Toyota lot - the Toyota Sienna is 100% AMERICAN. My understanding is that there is no such thing as a Japanese Toyota Camry any more - both "right" and "left" hand drive versions are built HERE, because the Japanese recognize that American labor is the BEST when treated and paid fairly.

I dont know how much of my Ford Excursion is actually AMERICAN sourced. The GMC 6500 "Top Kick" I just got rid of, had a SPICER transmission that was a hard-to-shift piece of junk - it was built in MEXICO. The rear axle was an EATON, made noise from the first day - well, it was sourced from some other latin country. Lord knows WHERE they got its miserable electrical system, which was continually shorting out.

So, yeah, I like to buy AMERICAN products, designed and built by AMERICANS who CARE about their customer's health.

Thanks to Monsta's helpful comments, I will probably figure out how to set up an air filter on my EX, that will give me the same health/safety protection as the one already factory built into my AMERICAN Toyota.

( I STILL want to know what that guy does with an Excursion on an ISLAND!).
Note to self...don't forget squirrel mask when traveling in Arizona.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:32 PM
6686L
Elder User
If you guys could see the crap that the cabin air filter on our Toyota filtered out, you'd understand why I think this is a neat feature, and why I am cooking up something for our Excursion.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:39 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
If you guys could see the crap that the cabin air filter on our Toyota filtered out, you'd understand why I think this is a neat feature, and why I am cooking up something for our Excursion.
So did you ever do anything about your "dirty air", because that might be something I might do to the Excursion.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM
krcole
New User
?

How did our grandparents ever get by without great companies like Toyota filtering there air?

I would go for the respirator just to be completely safe. And you'll need to leave it on when you get out of the Excursion as well or that darn dirty air will get ya. I've got some PVC sheeting that we could make a big bubble out of if the respirator gets to uncomfortable to wear out and around the house.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
More illness are airborne than anything else. Given the fact that interiors of vehicles aren't typically kept as clean as a person's house having air filtration isn't a bad idea.

I gave the wrong forum above. There are instructions at dieselstop.com.

I see no need to put a filter in the back since it's a recirculating system anyway.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:55 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monsta
More illness are airborne than anything else. Given the fact that interiors of vehicles aren't typically kept as clean as a person's house having air filtration isn't a bad idea.

I gave the wrong forum above. There are instructions at dieselstop.com.

I see no need to put a filter in the back since it's a recirculating system anyway.
Do you by any chance have a link to it?

Old 06-13-2008, 07:51 PM
ptolalibertad
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you guys crack me up when you fight.. my chevy venture minivan has a cabin filter and yes, you should see the crud it collects in short order...but i do commute 30miles a day by bicycle and work as a local truck driver..so im sucking in all kinds of particulate and fumes..i should be dead in a week

Quick Reply: Dirty Air