Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Well minimum wage got me again

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well minimum wage got me again

I had a leaking heater hose so went ahead and replaced all my hoses on my truck since it is a 2000 and figured it could use it. well after getting done went and test drove the truck and found out that the water pump was seeping too. So went to Napa and all they had was a rebuilt, so even though I wanted a new one I went ahead and got the rebuilt one instead of waiting until monday. Well come home get the truck all torn down got the new pump off, swapped the thermostat housing, lower radiator hose extension, heater hose and temp sender, then put the pump in the truck. got it all bolted up lower hose on, pulley etc then realized I hadn't pulled the plug they installed where my fitting goes for the filter so put a wrench on it, and it feels really tight but starts to move then BANG it just falls out WITH THE THREADS. This is were min wage got me, figure they didn't care enough to put the plug in straight when they rebuilt the pump, cross threaded it in even though was tough and called it good. guess it's a good thing that I pulled that plug and it didn't come out while going down the road but still now have to take it all back apart to get a new pump on monday, or buy one from Orielies (anyone have an opinion on their water pumps?)

I do have another question though if your still reading. My neighbor used to work for a Ford dealer and he says that whenever they did water pumps on the powerstrokes they always used silicon on the lower hose extension and the entire oring gasket for the pump. I didn't, what has been everyone elses experience either way, do you feel a need to use RTV or have you had good luck with the orings sealing (since I have to redo it anyway, might as well find out from you guys)

Old 04-05-2008, 08:25 PM
GRECO
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my water pump about two years ago and bought a rebuilt from autozone. shhh dont tell anyone. It was before I started asking the experts here. However I went back with all the stock parts. I live in South Texas and haven't had a problem yet. but I will be watching this post just to find out what these guys say.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
griesera
Junior User
Roughly two years ago i put on a new pump from oreilly's and it's been holding out pretty good so far. I never used any silicone and haven't had any problems.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember using RTV on the lower hose extension. Don't think I used any on the pump mating surface.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:23 PM
avidbowhunter
Freshman User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
I had a leaking heater hose so went ahead and replaced all my hoses on my truck since it is a 2000 and figured it could use it. well after getting done went and test drove the truck and found out that the water pump was seeping too. So went to Napa and all they had was a rebuilt, so even though I wanted a new one I went ahead and got the rebuilt one instead of waiting until monday. Well come home get the truck all torn down got the new pump off, swapped the thermostat housing, lower radiator hose extension, heater hose and temp sender, then put the pump in the truck. got it all bolted up lower hose on, pulley etc then realized I hadn't pulled the plug they installed where my fitting goes for the filter so put a wrench on it, and it feels really tight but starts to move then BANG it just falls out WITH THE THREADS. This is were min wage got me, figure they didn't care enough to put the plug in straight when they rebuilt the pump, cross threaded it in even though was tough and called it good. guess it's a good thing that I pulled that plug and it didn't come out while going down the road but still now have to take it all back apart to get a new pump on monday, or buy one from Orielies (anyone have an opinion on their water pumps?)

I do have another question though if your still reading. My neighbor used to work for a Ford dealer and he says that whenever they did water pumps on the powerstrokes they always used silicon on the lower hose extension and the entire oring gasket for the pump. I didn't, what has been everyone elses experience either way, do you feel a need to use RTV or have you had good luck with the orings sealing (since I have to redo it anyway, might as well find out from you guys)
I replaced my water pump last Summer and have had no issues so far and i used no silicon anywhere. I hope i made the right choice!!! Jeff

Old 04-05-2008, 09:39 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kwikkordead has some slick stuff he uses from Napa on all o-ring surfaces. His theory is that you dont want to use RTV to stuff the o-ring in place, rather (the name just came to me, something like syl-glide, good name for a lube LOL), excuse me, rather let the lubed up o-ring do its job and this lubricant for the o-rings does just that. I agree with his theory.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:32 PM
DaveWilliams
Elder User
Picture of the stuff

Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Kwikkordead has some slick stuff he uses from Napa on all o-ring surfaces. His theory is that you dont want to use RTV to stuff the o-ring in place, rather (the name just came to me, something like syl-glide, good name for a lube LOL), excuse me, rather let the lubed up o-ring do its job and this lubricant for the o-rings does just that. I agree with his theory.

Here is a picture of the stuff you and KWIK are talking about. I printed this out and was going to get some when I did the 203 thermostat and billet housing, but haven't gotten around to it yet.....Hope this helps you get the right stuff.....In theory it sounds like a good idea to use it....Dave

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2008, 11:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

hmm I have always used grease to hold orings in place, sounds like i was making the right choice, just maybe not the right type of grease.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:38 PM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I replaced my waterpump with one from O'Reilly's about a year ago and I did use rtv on the lower o-ring no problems yet.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:14 AM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For some reason, I thought that O'reilly's had Airtex pumps, and from what I've seen both personally on my truck and read from others, they are good pumps.

I lubed up my pump body gasket with stuff similar to what has been shown. I actually used faucet grease from the hardware store, but it's the same stuff. Silicon based lube.

My Airtex pump is a one-piece unit from the body all the way down to the lower hose extension, so there's no need to worry about leaks there. However, my stock pump leaked at that joint. Not sure why the stock pumps are a two-piece design, but I would guess the removable lower extension is to aid in removal of the oil cooler if ever necessary.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Waterpump 2 years ago, Carquest new. No silicon used. No problems so far, (roughly 60K miles)

Old 04-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
New NAPA pump around 8 months ago. No RTV but I used spray silicone to lube the rubber o's

Stewart

Old 04-06-2008, 12:07 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Appearently I am not meant to have this water filter on this truck, went down this morning got a brand new water pump, went to pull the plug and the threads are stripped out WTF

Old 04-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 783 Likes on 595 Posts
You guys beat me to the silicone grease post, good job.
I've used that stuff for about ten years now and not one of the many fittings that I have installed has ever come back leaking.
I'm sold on it and never will put any o-ring fitting together without using it.
Especially the long formed ones that are on the back side of the water pump. Clean surfaces and a light coating on the o-ring and the flat area where the water pump bolts to will pretty much guarentee a leak free installation.
NO BLOBS!!!! Too much will create a hydraulic lock and that will cut the o-ring.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:10 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Thanks dan that was what i did when i put it back together. I had always used just axle grease to "glue" orings in place and ever had a problem. Don't know why I never thought of using silicon grease, one of those DOH moments I guess.

Was talking to the neighbor again about it and mentioned this, when he got to laughing. like i said he worked at a Ford Dealership and the powerstroke certified guys said to use Silicon sealant. we both are now thinking they went to a class on these things and the instructor meant silicon grease and they thought sealant so told all the rest of the mechanics that was how to do it. Me I had NEVER used sealant on an oring seal and never had one leak.

BTW got another pump and all is back together and no leaks. Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Well minimum wage got me again