2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F150 2WD - I Want to Lift It, NEED INFO...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
bcowdell
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2006 F150 2WD - I Want to Lift It, NEED INFO...

I installed a leveling kit myself and love the look much better than stock. Now I want to do a 3" lift - just to make it look a bit higher. I am told that on a 2WD you have 2 options: the afore mentioned leveling kit, or a 6" suspension lift. I was cautioned against a 3" body lift??

So what do you guys know about this? Is a 3" body lift a bad idea - I am not an off-roader, it is just for the look that I am doing this...

Help me start my research the right way... Thanks.

Last edited by bcowdell; 04-01-2008 at 06:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Cut Em 4x4
Freshman User
I have a friend who is running a 3" lift and 35s on his 04 f-150 and no problems so far. However i would check into the lift for a 2wd. Are you going to lift it yourself or professionally done? If professional, look into lift kits from namebrand co.'s such as superlift, skyjacker, fabtec, procomp, ect. Go buy a 4x4 magazine and do some research on a 2wd lift before you end up getting 12mpg. Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:50 PM
jllang2
Senior User
probably not buying one, from what i have seen i like the truck, but i only have 50k on my 05 so i should not be in the truck market for quiet some time, i figure that I should be able to get at least 200k out of my truck.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
don't waste your money on a 3" lift. you can do it for cheap and use oem parts

get the 2.5" as leveling kit
get the rear 1-5/8" block that comes on 4x4's...make sure to get the 4x4 axle u-bolts

you can also install 4x4 coil-overs up front for more height. and AS sells a 3" block for your rear axle.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by jllang2
probably not buying one, from what i have seen i like the truck, but i only have 50k on my 05 so i should not be in the truck market for quiet some time, i figure that I should be able to get at least 200k out of my truck.
Misplaced post?

Originally Posted by tylus
don't waste your money on a 3" lift. you can do it for cheap and use oem parts

get the 2.5" as leveling kit
get the rear 1-5/8" block that comes on 4x4's...make sure to get the 4x4 axle u-bolts

you can also install 4x4 coil-overs up front for more height. and AS sells a 3" block for your rear axle.
A slight observation... but I believe we have someone that is already trying to lower the rear of his 4x4 by removing his rear blocks... maybe you two should swap parts? (Jus' an idea..)

Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
A slight observation... but I believe we have someone that is already trying to lower the rear of his 4x4 by removing his rear blocks... maybe you two should swap parts? (Jus' an idea..)
good idea

thought I should clarify my earlier post.

the 4x4's front coil-overs are about 1" taller than 4x2 coil-overs...not to mention stiffer

so, if you can get a set, you've already gained 1"...then slap the AS 2.5" kit and you'll get anywhere from 3.5" to 4" of lift in the front. then you can get the rear 1-5/8" block off a 4x4 (and u-bolts). this should make your truck sit dead level.

if the truck doesn't sit level, AS sells AAL or blocks for under $150.

if you choose to go with the AS block, you don't need the OEM 4x4 block (and u-bolts) as the AS block is designed to completely replace the OEM block. the AS block is 3" tall and comes with brand new u-bolts.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
felixr
Elder User
Tylus, tried to contact you but you arent allowing contact from members so I'll ask you on here . . . do you happen to know the part number for the 4x4 block? I have a diagram from my local ford dealership's parts dept (idiots) and i cant tell which one it is . . . where does it sit?

they dont know what the rear block is (the guy i spoke to anyway--the one that speaks the best english i guess *eyeroll*)

anyway so from looking at the diagram it looks like its either 5598 or 5594
5598 looks more like a block but it has some sort of beak looking thing to the side of it

5594 looks like a plate of some sort . . . its thinner and looks like it has some machining on it

does anyone know part numbers or where the blocks sit so i can tell on the diagram if Tylus doesnt know? thanks in advance!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
motorwerks
Freshman User
I dont really like any of these options but I am an off-roader. If I were you I would look into (in order of the way I would look into them). Camburg, Dixon brothers does NOT make a kit for these trucks yet but I would keep an eye out, NDC customs (I think they do a mid travel or something along those lines for 2wd) and LAST but not least, Fabtech. I will not ever, ever, ever run another body lift. My Toyota cab had holes rubbed into the cab floor till the cab was being held up by the interior cage. Bad news....

Old 04-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by felixr
Tylus, tried to contact you but you arent allowing contact from members so I'll ask you on here . . . do you happen to know the part number for the 4x4 block? I have a diagram from my local ford dealership's parts dept (idiots) and i cant tell which one it is . . . where does it sit?

they dont know what the rear block is (the guy i spoke to anyway--the one that speaks the best english i guess *eyeroll*)

anyway so from looking at the diagram it looks like its either 5598 or 5594
5598 looks more like a block but it has some sort of beak looking thing to the side of it

5594 looks like a plate of some sort . . . its thinner and looks like it has some machining on it

does anyone know part numbers or where the blocks sit so i can tell on the diagram if Tylus doesnt know? thanks in advance!
sorry, don't know the part #. you are looking for a metal block that is litterally sandwiched between the leafs and the axle itself. it's 1-5/8" tall.

honestly, I'd just go to a junkyard and find a wrecked F-150 4x4. they can't want more than $10-20 tops for these 2 blocks. If they're anything like the ones at home, they'll even put the "donar" truck on a forklift so you can unbolt the axle from chest height.

another option is the AS link I put earlier. they'll sell you the 3" block or a 1.5" block. you should give them a call and discuss what you want to do. these guys are based out of Idaho and I'll bet they can get you dialed in exactly with what you want/need

AutoSprings eBay Store

Old 04-05-2008, 03:00 AM
felixr
Elder User
actually, i ordered the Hell Bent Steel front leveling kit just like two days ago
i will see how it works out

69 bucks for the kit and 69 for an alignment down the street . . . not horrible

incidently, i parked on a stump yesterday at my old man's house and almost had a . . . well lets just say i was excited . . . the way it sat so high off the ground (only on one wheel of course lol) MAN I wished so bad it was always that high!!!

the rocker arm was knee high . . .i LOVED IT! THATS how high I want it to be so . . .unless someone knows of a better way, I have decided to get a full Fabtech type (or other brand) 6" lift kit.

it will be next year as they cost like 1600 bucks but I'm definitely doing it!!

Old 04-05-2008, 03:40 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

there is no other way besides the lift kit. you can get your truck to the same height as mine currently sits, but thats about it without one

Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
glenerd51
Senior User
hey bcowdell checkout the pics of my truck in my gallery its a 06 supercrew 4x2 with a 2" auto spring leveling kit in the front and 1/2" blocks in the back riding on 20 fx4 wheels and tires my front fenders measure 39" which is 5" higher than a stock truck