2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Edge installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by motorwerks
you have to go to the web site and do an Update.... the update you are looking for wont be where you think it should be it will be in product updates like it should be but you are going to want to download the Fusion software, not Lightning.

I updated it using the Fusion software prior to installing it in my truck...

According to Edge the program in my truck is newer than the programs they have available so I have to wait until Wednesday of next week for them to update the program I need.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:11 AM
XolieX
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i might lean towards getting the edge instead of the CAI on my king ranch but i am a california resident! i am no sure on the modifying car's here in california. somebody at the dealership said that cars are being taken away from cops that are modified! i'll be a cold day in hell if somebody took my truck for just having a tuner and a CAI.

anybody know the CA laws here? i know for my old mustang, there ain't **** though!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 AM
rocky3539
New User
I just purchased a 2004 F150 4x4 with the 5.4 it has a 6" lift with 315/70-17 BFG all terrains what model of edge are you using is it Old: EEF2400
New: 15051 and what is the difference with the Edge product and the Hypertech HyperPAC with a touchtone screen??

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
bememe
Senior User
My Edge was manufactured 02/08 and had both the new and old part numbers on the box. I don't know why the part number changed. Don't know anything about the Hypertech, I was unaware there was another programmer with a display screen.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
motorwerks
Freshman User
Originally Posted by XolieX
i might lean towards getting the edge instead of the CAI on my king ranch but i am a california resident! i am no sure on the modifying car's here in california. somebody at the dealership said that cars are being taken away from cops that are modified! i'll be a cold day in hell if somebody took my truck for just having a tuner and a CAI.

anybody know the CA laws here? i know for my old mustang, there ain't **** though!
Edge is supposed to be 50 state legal, I'm in CA and havent had a problem with it..... its only been on for a week though

Old 04-02-2008, 11:25 PM
motorwerks
Freshman User
Originally Posted by patriots6800
Just installed mine and ran the truck around town I'm either going to jail or wrecking my truck or both with this thing Insane
Me too.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:00 AM
XolieX
Elder User
Edge is supposed to be 50 state legal, I'm in CA and havent had a problem with it..... its only been on for a week though
thats cool, are you using it with the LCD screen? i talked to a few dealers out here and they said there isn't a CARB EO number yet but theyare working on it. they are recommending not displaying it if its not EO approved. however there other shops here in sac area that are running them in their diesels and displaying the lcd without a problem.

i am gonna play it cool though and not have the screen anywhere or hooked up.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:44 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
It says right on the box "Not legal for on-road use in California". I know the one I "test drove" in Colorado did, and it was the newer one for 2004-2008 models. I would just hate for someone to buy one, and get burned for buying it. Especially if they bought it used, and it didn't have the box. If you go to the Edge website, and click the emissions compliance tab, they talk about how they support CARB, and the EPA, but nowhere in it do they say the Edge is CARB certified. They tap dance around the issue without implicitly stating that you won't get you butt in a wringer if you get caught using one out there. No need to try to slay me with your keyboard. This is my last post on this subject.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Jim Allen
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
It says right on the box "Not legal for on-road use in California". I know the one I "test drove" in Colorado did, and it was the newer one for 2004-2008 models. I would just hate for someone to buy one, and get burned for buying it. Especially if they bought it used, and it didn't have the box. If you go to the Edge website, and click the emissions compliance tab, they talk about how they support CARB, and the EPA, but nowhere in it do they say the Edge is CARB certified. They tap dance around the issue without implicitly stating that you won't get you butt in a wringer if you get caught using one out there. No need to try to slay me with your keyboard. This is my last post on this subject.
No slaying to be done, friend, this is a friendly board... but your statement is inaccurate. At least for units produced recently. I'm looking at my box right now (a 2/08 production date), and on the blue band at the bottom of the box it says:

"CARB (California Air resources Board) E.O. (Executive Order) Approval Pending"

To me that means it is in the pipeline for CARB approval. I think you can safely assume you are safe from attack from the "Smog *****" but just in case, you can always go back to stock and remove the unit temporarily. As you could with any non-compliant device.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 AM
rmartens24
Junior User
I'm sure many people in CA are running the Edge in level 2 or 3 without the module hooked up. Just program the PCM and throw the module in a safe place.

It's hard for me to believe there are people who don't think the Edge makes a difference. I've been running my Edge for over 1 year now in Levels 2 and 3, most of the time 2 and the difference is night and day. I finally did some custom tuning and that made an even bigger difference. I changed the WOT setpoint and the WOT shift points. It felt like I was driving a compact race car.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, now I'm jealous...

Everyone seems to be enjoying their Edges and mine looks nice sitting atop my dash however, it still doesn't like my PCM.

Edge doesn't support the program in my truck yet so I will have to wait another week before they update the Fusion software again (next Wednesday) and apparently it's hit or miss if the update will cover my truck.

Note this... as of right now if you have your truck in for service and they update the PCM to the latest Ford has your Edge will not operate with the program.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM
JimTex
Senior User
Originally Posted by BandBFord
Everyone seems to be enjoying their Edges and mine looks nice sitting atop my dash however, it still doesn't like my PCM.

Edge doesn't support the program in my truck yet so I will have to wait another week before they update the Fusion software again (next Wednesday) and apparently it's hit or miss if the update will cover my truck.

Note this... as of right now if you have your truck in for service and they update the PCM to the latest Ford has your Edge will not operate with the program.
I do not let the dealer touch my truck without them having a clear understanding that they are not to touch the PCM.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:08 PM
motorwerks
Freshman User
Ya know what In the mess of programmers I have been digging through I think I trans posed which one was 50 state legal. Now that I am looking at the web site and Box you guys are right. Ether way Heres the thing. On gauge mode. Its just that gauges. Its no more illegal then the OBDII gauges that look just like it and just plug into the OBDII port. I present you with the MSD Dash hawk.

More info here........

DashHawk Vehicle Information Display

No cop on earth can tell me that I am on a power level that is aftermarket. I'm simply in transmission mode and using it to tell me what the voltage, Trans temp, head temp, etc are. I say F it I'm running mine on the dash, and Ill fight like hell if I ever get a ticket for it.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:13 PM
motorwerks
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BandBFord

the way around that is to pull the Edge program from the ECU. Its simple and takes just a couple minutes. Just like programing the ECU in the first place. Even if for some reason you can not. Edge will for a small fee help you out with the issue.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM
XolieX
Elder User
i'm pretty much sold on this! i will program it and will immediately pull the guage and put it into the glove box. however i'm going to run it with my dealer installed gibson exhaust and run it with a stock air intake system since no f150 CAI are carb'ed approved yet.

how easy is it to get me rolling? the tech at edge says it only takes 30 seconds to erase the program from factory and then install the new program.

do i have to download the programs first? some idea before i purchase would be cool.

Quick Reply: Got Edge installed!