2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing up pick-up box

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
19expy97
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealing up pick-up box

Took out my factory plastic bed liner last night . I am going to be installing a bed rug and cover . noticed the seems in the bed are not sealed??? I guess so water can get out of the bed!! Noticed that dirt and water comes in through these cracks also. Have any of you guys sealed these up with caulk before putting in a bed rug??? Seems like they would get sealed up when you get a spray in liner. Just dont want salt and stuff getting in there. asked the guy where i bought the rug he said they dont bother , but on the other hand its also a time issue for them.

Mark

Btw this bed really looks good inside with the copper color , maybe would have got a spray in if they could have matched the color

Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
then again if you seal it up...any water that gets in the rear won't be able to drain out...

Old 03-24-2008, 07:03 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Put a Rhino Liner "Tuff Grip" in there. It's a gooier version of the hard crap, and stops stuff from sliding around. Mine held up after a massive load of decorative rock, and didn't fade or scratch. The Army uses that specific type in and on their combat vehicles for grip and easy cleanup. It's on the front slope of the abrams, inside the brads, and howitzers. Yes, you can dent your bed with a spray on, but you dent it with a slip in also. You just don't see it until you you pull out the slip in and then see the rust from it moving around all the time and wearing through the paint.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Flashback
New User
My friend had his bed done with Line X and it was done in Red the same as his truck. It did cost extra though. I don't remember what he paid for it.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Originally Posted by Flashback
My friend had his bed done with Line X and it was done in Red the same as his truck. It did cost extra though. I don't remember what he paid for it.
I was quoted both by Line-X and Rhino an extra cost of $250.00 for any colorant added, and $125.00 extra for the UV protectant. Glad I have the Stone Green (aka Brown)...the black looks good.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
  • A spray-in liner may work to some extent, but you will probably need to do some additional work to seal the bed where the front wall & floor meet, where the inner & outer sidewalls meet, and around the tailgate.
  • Many custom-colored, spray-in liners have very different warranty coverage than a straight black spray-in liner. This warranty can also vary from one shop to another. So make sure to ask those questions before taking the proverbial dive.
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
The Army uses that specific type in and on their combat vehicles for grip and easy cleanup. It's on the front slope of the abrams, inside the brads, and howitzers.
Unless there has been a semi-recent change, the DoD contract has been with Line-X for close to a decade. And the list of military applications also included the upper, outside of submarines, many solid walking surfaces on Naval ships, protective bomb/blast/debris coating on certain buildings, and on & on.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Talking

Originally Posted by Deluxe05
  • A spray-in liner may work to some extent, but you will probably need to do some additional work to seal the bed where the front wall & floor meet, where the inner & outer sidewalls meet, and around the tailgate.
  • Many custom-colored, spray-in liners have very different warranty coverage than a straight black spray-in liner. This warranty can also vary from one shop to another. So make sure to ask those questions before taking the proverbial dive.
Unless there has been a semi-recent change, the DoD contract has been with Line-X for close to a decade. And the list of military applications also included the upper, outside of submarines, many solid walking surfaces on Naval ships, protective bomb/blast/debris coating on certain buildings, and on & on.
Well, I retired from the Army in 2004, and while I was a contractor in Iraq from April of 2004, to July of 2006, Rhino Liner was being applied to the Front slopes of the Abrams Tanks, Bradley's, and the inside of the Paladin's. That's all I know. Couldn't tell you about boats and such.

F0rdzTuff
US Army, MSG (Happily Retired)

Old 03-26-2008, 04:09 PM
bamabronc
New User
My truck is gray, so I put some gray seam sealer in the cracks. I have a rubber bed mat, tailgate seal and a tonneau cover to help keep the bed clean.