6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Hot Shot's Secret Additive Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by islander1808
Hey thedaddycat-
Have you had any trouble with your 6.0L
My truck had the oil pump replaced before I got it and the fan clutch went out which was replaced under warranty. I have seen improvement with the rough idle below 30*F since I started using HSS. I am now running a second OCI with it and have switched over to synthetic oil. I will use HSS as a preventive after this oil change as it has helped with the rough idle and possibly saved me from having to have injectors replaced. I have 87K on the clock now, 6500 miles running HSS(5500 on the first run and 1k so far on this run).

Old 03-30-2008, 10:56 AM
rcorcich
Tuned
Hey Chris,
I ordered your hot shot a couple days ago but i couldn't find the firepower 404 on your web site. Any details on this (product info, pricing )

Thanks,
Rich C.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
You need to look on the left side under the "Fuel Additives" tab, it's on page 3.

http://65.247.66.223/thumbnail.asp?cid=10&deep=1&searchWord=&offset=2

Old 03-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fandini,
Hot Shot's Secret was made for International. It was specifically blended and tested for this exact problem. There is a very long post somewhere here on FTE that answers about every question anyone could ever come up with. The main problem with the 6.0 injector is that it gets very hot. The tolerances are so close that a lot of friction is developed and it causes heat which causes average or below average oils to coke up inside the injector. The computer is so advanced that it adjusts the pressure to compensate for the coking so quickly and efficiently that you will never even know there is a problem until it is too late. That's when you go to the dealership and they say you need 3 injectors replaced. HSS will clean out the coked up oil and free up the injector to work the way it was designed. A lot of people are pretty hard on Ford but the problem is really the motor oil. The injector is a very advanced piece of equipment.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Fire Power is a very powerful fuel additive that has been used for military and commercial applications. I started selling it along with the HSS because I figured between he two products you have given your injector system a complete enema. Sorry about the analogy but it is the best way I can put it. With all fuel additives your always trying to achieve a balance of different chemicals. This one is heavier on detergent and stabilizers than cetane. It will improve the cetane by 4-5 points but the injector cleaner and stabilizer are the reason I am recommending it. It costs $9.25/ quart and treats 75 gallons. I don't know how that compares with other products out there but it is not a retail product. It is really something we use on dozers and backhoes. I always see an increase in mileage of 3-8%. I know you can't buy small quantities on the website right now but I am working on it. Call or email if you want a small quantity. We will ship them out.

Chris

Old 03-31-2008, 02:58 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,514 Likes on 1,747 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Gabe Lube Specialties
A lot of people are pretty hard on Ford but the problem is really the motor oil. The injector is a very advanced piece of equipment.
Chris -
A lot of people have been advocating this for some time. Yours are the strongest words that I have seen on this subject (I happen to agree w/ you also). Are you also saying that a synthetic oil will be a good preventative measure or that it is inevitable with any oil?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:50 PM
OZX1
Posting Guru

I placed my order as posted
Originally Posted by ozx3+1
I just placed my order! No problems to overcome--I just want to help prevent as many as possible. I'll be posting more once I get mine, but it's too bad I just changed the oil this past Saturday... I'm not really anxious to drain out 2 quarts of Rotella 5-40 synthetic!
but have yet to receive any confirmation, tracking number, receipt or anything. No product yet either... Any comments?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
hey ozx3+1,
I ordered mine a couple days ago and requested tracking info, got a e-mail today with ups tracking info will be here Wed. Call them Very easy to talk to and very helpful.

Rich

Old 03-31-2008, 07:09 PM
zss42002
Elder User
what is the big rave about his product. has anyone seen any improvements on fuel milage or anything. lots of people use it but no real testimonies on here. anyone is it woth getting?? i ust Power Service right now and am wearry of adding anything to my engine.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
lwfox002
Elder User
Originally Posted by lwfox002
I just placed my order via the website. No real problems but anything that works for others and will prevent problems I am willing to try once. Anxious to try it. Will provide feedback.
Wow, it came in fast. Had it for a couple days. Should I wait until my next oil change (about 4K miles) or add now?

Old 03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by zss42002
what is the big rave about his product. has anyone seen any improvements on fuel milage or anything. lots of people use it but no real testimonies on here. anyone is it woth getting?? i ust Power Service right now and am wearry of adding anything to my engine.

Have you read all five pages of this post? Have you read the linked posts? I have documented my use and results for 6500 miles in 1K increments. I just fueled up on the way home tonight and got 17.9 MPG, up a couple of tenths of a MPG. I'm sure that part of that is due to the switch to synthetic oil, part due to better injector function. I can tell you that I have seen slow but steady improvement, especially in the rough idle below 30*F. Here is the post where I am reporting my results from using HSS:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ditive-23.html

Old 04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Mark,
I have noticed that the people using a synthetic or a bypass do not have the problem as often. I am under the impression that the 6.0 has a greater rate of shear but according these blogs (which is often as informative as the lubriction engineering articles) the 6.0 doesn't shear as badly as the other diesel engines. So I am wondering- could the oil be shearing in the injector itself- but because the volume of oil in the injector is so small the rest of the resevoir doesn't show signs of shearing?

Chris

Old 04-01-2008, 09:26 AM
thedaddycat
Posting Guru
Chris, that's an interesting thought. From what I've read from folks who have UOA done the 6.0 will shear a 40 weight oil down to the 30 weight range in roughly 5000 miles which is why a lot of people use that for their OCI instead of Ford's 7500 mile (normal service) interval. The 5000 mile OCI is what Ford lists as rough service or severe duty OCI. From what I've read on here it seemed to me that the HPOP was the cause of the shearing, not the injectors themselves.

There are some oils that seem to hold up to the shearing and resist it better than others. The two that come to mind are Schaeffers 9000 and Mobil 1, both of which are synthetic oils.

As far as bypass filters, I talked to the tech folks at both Oilguard and Filtration Solutions before I ordered mine. From what I gathered they both make good systems and the important thing is to filter down to a smaller particle size. It's kind of like getting a 4" exhaust, the brand is less important to how the truck performs than the fact that you have a bigger pipe. Anyhow, one thing that came up during my talks with them was the theory that once you filter down to the sub-micron range the actual particles themselves start to act as a lubricant due to their very small size.

As I recall it being explained, this was the example used. Imagine you are traveling over a parking lot covered with grapefruit size rocks and hit the brakes. The rocks jam between tire and pavement and you stop hard and fast. Now imagine the lot is covered with very fine sand and you lock up the brakes. The sand acts like a bunch of tiny ball bearings that let the tires slide over the pavement. I know this is not exactly accurate, but it gets the idea across. The tech guy (from Oilguard I think) said that it was a German engineer who came up with this theory, but that friction plate testing seems to bear it out. In testing oils filtered through a bypass filter seemed to have better lubricity than the same oils that were not filtered down to that level. I am relaying what he told me, I do not have a report with the test results and have not done further research on it .

I'd be interested on your thoughts on this and on what impact HSS would have with a truck using synthetic oil and a bypass filter.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Chris Gabe
Former Vendor
Daddycat,
I think you are on the right track. I always recommend a bypass filter to take the oil out of the stream and filter it down. By removing the dirt you are going to remove some of the soot also. The cleaner oil is able to lubricate easier. Wear metals can get so small that they become part of the oil in suspension. When I suspect that I have a particle count run. That will give me the size of the particle in the oil to see if it is large enough to cause more wear.

I have been very frustrated with makers of synthetic oil. They have been passing off Group 2 plus oils ,which are great, as full synthetic oil. PAO base oils are the best and most expensive. If a manufacturer is using PAO he will list it as a bragging point. Even with the PAO basestocks you can get a 8, 10, 12 or 14 carbon chain base. The longer the carbon chain the longer it can go without shear. I have used a 12 carbon chain base stock and have not been able to shear it even at 68,000 hours. The oil has to be constantly filtered, tested and readditized but it will give you an idea of what can be done. I am going to offer a 12-14 carbon chain full PAO motor oil with a 14 TBN next week. It is a very, very heavy duty oil. I don't think anyone will be able to shear it. It is and oil that has been used for a long time in industrial applications but it has never been available in small cartons. I am going to package it in gallons just for the Fords because I don't think you will need HSS if you use it and I don't think you will have injector problems if you use it.

Chris

Chris

Old 04-01-2008, 11:15 AM
OZX1
Posting Guru

Upsetting People Systematically

Originally Posted by rcorcich
hey ozx3+1,
I ordered mine a couple days ago and requested tracking info, got a e-mail today with ups tracking info will be here Wed. Call them Very easy to talk to and very helpful.

Rich
I called this morning and spoke with Wendy. She was indeed, very easy to speak with. It turns out that UPS delivered the package yesterday morning @ 1030 hrs.

UPS indicates that the driver gave it to "the man" at my address, but did not get a signature.

The funny thing is, there was no one home at my house yesterday at 1030 hrs, and "the man" could have been anyone.

If it was my neighbor, he would have given it to me last night when I was talking with him. The USP investigation is on... Funny thing is I never have problems with FedEx, but often have problems with UPS...
Upsetting
P
eople
S
ystematically

Quick Reply: Hot Shot's Secret Additive Update