Mercon & Mercon V

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, Mark....

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I've seen bottled stuff that said it would convert lead to gold. I didn't believe that, either.....

I would not change part of the fluid to MERCON V. It is not hard to change all of the fluid, and that's the only way I'd convert to MERCON V.

You can adapt this procedure:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/article/...nsmission.html
to any vehicle to change all of the fluid. That's the way I do it.
Turns out my Mazda stock fluid is Mazda "M-V", and the consensus is that this *is* Mercon V, although someone on one forum implied it was some other stuff called FNR5 but I believe that that specifically for the FNR5 5-speed auto in the Milan and Fusion (is that a Jatco box?)

I probably will try the full flush procedure on my Protege5 at 60k anyway, but if not, I think I'd feel relatively secure doing 3 or 4 dump-and-fills given that it's probably Mercon V anyway...

There are still Ford dealers who do not have the full-flush capability (I had to look for a dealer who did when I wanted a full flush on my '02 E150), and I'm guessing that many of them will do the pan drop and fill with Mercon V since Mercon V is now an official "service replacement" for the old Mercon.

Thanks,
George

Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,051 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
FNR5 5-speed auto in the Milan and Fusion (is that a Jatco box?)
No, it's from Aisin, which is a different Japanese manufacturer.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:04 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Ford has a TSB out that states that MERCON V is the replacement fluid for ALL transmissions that used to require MERCON. They changed the formulation of MERCON V to make it compatible with all older transmissions that used to use MERCON.
I didn't know Ford changed the Mercon V formula in conjunction with the TSB. I would assume it had something to do with the amount or type of friction modifiers?

Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM
missouguy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My biggest worry about all this is, how do I know I have the "new" Mercon V?

How much of the old Mercon V that is NOT for the 4R100 is still out there?

I will personally go out and find some DEXIII/Mercon as there is still some out there. It has done me fine in the past.

BTW what is the shelf life of tranny fluid, I may want to stock up.

Frank

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Some info:

I have read shelf life to be about 2 years -- assuming never opened bottle and not in direct sunlight.

Also, I recently bought Mercon tranny fluid from Kmart/Sears. It was their brand Spectrum plus. It comes in a gray/black bottle, sells for about 3.89 a quart. It says that it is good for all Mercon tranny's -- III,IV,V. However, Ford uses a special additive to prevent slipping and yes you need it. My older high mileage Ranger needed less than a 1/4 quart and it shifted like ****. I went to an oil change place and had it flushed. They use III or IV and a bottle of anti-slip -- comes in a pint about the size of a fuel additive. All it does is convert the III/IV to V. It really works. As far as all older tranny's require V, I'm really not sure. A quart of Motorcraft runs 3.99. I just bought a bottle from the dealer.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by mpwbw
Mercon tranny's -- III,IV,V.
Welcome to FTE!

There's no such thing as MERCON III or MERCON IV. The only MERCONs ever have been MERCON, MERCON V, and MERCON SP.

I do not believe there is any way to convert MERCON to MERCON V. I do know places sell stuff that claims to do it, but I don't believe it.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Thanks for the welcome. You're right -- what I meant was according to the bottle, "It replaces Dexron/DexronII/DexronIII/Mercon/MerconV". Evidently Mercon is the new automotive standard. It says it is good for all transmissions that require ATF.

I don't doubt your expertise but explain why Ford recommends changing tranny fluid at regular intervals. I think every 35 or 40K. A lot of people on different forums in particular say that Ford's have weak transmissions. Anyway, the last three Rangers I've had, I changed the tranny fluid at around 30K and the vehicle maintained it's non-slipping state. Some don't even use MerconV. I hear of people using Lucas, Royal Purple, Amsoil for their transmissions with no trouble.

But, that 1/4 quart I put in made my vehicle seem to stick in 2nd gear -- even though I have an automatic. It wasn't even in my vehicle a couple hundred miles. I changed it out with Mercon IV and the aftermarket additive "to convert to Mercon V" and immediately upon leaving power and shifting was restored.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

I don't doubt your expertise but explain why Ford recommends changing tranny fluid at regular intervals.
Because ATF wears out. The fluid is continuously sheared, which breaks down the fluid. The additives also wear out.

I changed it out with Mercon IV and the aftermarket additive "to convert to Mercon V" and immediately upon leaving power and shifting was restored.
First, there's no such thing as MERCON IV.

Second, there is no way to convert a fluid to MERCON V. It's either MERCON V or it isn't. What you have is some fluid with some additive that's making it work, at least when it's new.

The big improvement in MERCON V over MERCON was anti-shudder. New MERCON fluid will eliminate shudder in a trans, but only for a very short time. MERCON V was developed to make shudder stay away for a long time. The fluid you got will work right out of the shop, but how long will it stay good?
As you probably can tell I'm a big proponent of using the right fluid in the trans.

As for restoring power with new trans fluid, ever hear of the placebo effect? New fluid will improve shifting, but it does nothing for power.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:06 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
Thanks for your help. When you say short time are we talking 10,000 highway miles??

Michael

Old 04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
jfsully
Junior User
Post Exxon-Mobil Mercon V

Some info:

I have read shelf life to be about 2 years -- assuming never opened bottle and not in direct sunlight.

Also, I recently bought Mercon tranny fluid from Kmart/Sears. It was their brand Spectrum plus. It comes in a gray/black bottle, sells for about 3.89 a quart. It says that it is good for all Mercon tranny's -- III,IV,V. However, Ford uses a special additive to prevent slipping and yes you need it. My older high mileage Ranger needed less than a 1/4 quart and it shifted like ****. I went to an oil change place and had it flushed. They use III or IV and a bottle of anti-slip -- comes in a pint about the size of a fuel additive. All it does is convert the III/IV to V. It really works. As far as all older tranny's require V, I'm really not sure. A quart of Motorcraft runs 3.99. I just bought a bottle from the dealer.

Hope this helps.
I have five quarts of Exxon-Mobil Mercon V ATF that is about five years old. It has never been opened and would like to know where you found the two year shelf life specs. Motor oil can last this long so why not ATF.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
mpwbw
Senior User
* Gear Oil
-BobtheOilGuy.com recommends a shelf life of 2 years max under protected conditions. Does not apply to previously OPENED bottles.
http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Even in a plastic container the chemicals undergo changes over time -- especially since they are usually kept in a garage or basement and temps are wildly scattered.

Anyway, I was on an Acura forum and the link is above where I got the info.

Michael

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Thanks for your help. When you say short time are we talking 10,000 highway miles??
Highway miles are the easiest, so it probably will be more than that. It's hard to put a mileage number on it, it varies with drive cycle and temperature.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:58 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Many of you need to subscribe to the various trade journals / magazines for the oil and lubricants industries. Many of these TSB's, explanations, articles, are all right there, as the trans lubricant engineers work directly with the transmission manufacturers of various car and truck builders, Ford, GM, Chrysler and imports.

If there is a change, the trade journals will report it.

I probably have 60+ of these right now, (issues) and I save each issue. They are a goldmine of information concerning oils and lubricants. Not only engine oils, transmission oils (auto and manual) rear end differentials, power steering, ect. and a forecast for trends in the lubricant industry. Good stuff, delivered conveniently to my mailbox for reading at my leisure.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM
mpwbw
Senior User
Many of you need to subscribe to the various trade journals / magazines for the oil and lubricants industries. Many of these TSB's, explanations, articles, are all right there, as the trans lubricant engineers work directly with the transmission manufacturers of various car and truck builders, Ford, GM, Chrysler and imports.
What are the names and where do we get them?

Thank you.

Michael

Old 06-08-2008, 04:16 AM
srercrcr
Postmaster
I told by shop to flush and fill my tranny with Mercon V as Ford states to use in a 2000 Explorer. I checked the fluid recently and see that it's red, just like Dexron. What color is Mercon V?? Please, no guessing.

Quick Reply: Mercon & Mercon V