Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:31 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant

Hello All,

I have a 00 F250 7.3 with 161K. I am having a shop do some maintenance - brakes pulsating, fuel filter and thinking about having them change the coolant as I do not know when it was last changed and have not tested it for SCA. For now, I think I would rather just run the green stuff as it is widely available and I am not sure if this shop or any other, would flush out all of the old green to go red. As such, I was wondering if I can run Peak Long Life Antifreeze. http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_longlife.html

BJ's has a good price on it but I am confused if the 7.3 needs low or no silicate antifreeze. I realize that I will need some FW-16 additive.

FYI, I went to my local Wally World and they no longer carry the Peak Final Charge.

If all goes well with the maintenance, they will be installing my 4" exhaust and gauges.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Neil

Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
I can't tell you about the coolant, but for the brakes? what are they going to do to fix them? The stock brakes are very inadequate. All they need is one hard stop to trash the rotors. If you do any kind of towing I suggest getting the powerslot rotors and a good set of pads. Hawks are used often with the powerslots. I have EBC's on mine. They are kinda pricey but my truck stops when I need it to now.
Tim

Old 03-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Brakes

I guess it depends what is causing the pulsation. I don't tow anything and am not sure how much money I want to put into the truck given the cost of diesel. In fact, I wish I hadn't ordered the exhaust and gauges but since I have them, what the heck.

If it needs new rotors, I will search for prices on the powerslots.

Thanks for the input.

Neil

Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Coolant Spec

Is there a coolant spec that must be used for the 7.3 such as: ASTM D-3306?

Thanks..

Neil

Old 03-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Hiflyer746
Posting Guru
the front rotors like to warp on the super duties. Many guys will replace them and they will only last 20K. I trashed mine on one 110 mph to 0 stop. ever since then they pulsated like mad, and didn't have much stopping power.
Tim

Old 03-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Pulsation

I think my rear rotors are the culprits as I can rarely feel the pulsation in the pedal but it feels like the rear of the truck starts hopping.

I guess I'll find out today or tomorrow.

Neil

Old 03-24-2008, 07:37 AM
IDPisan
Elder User
Originally Posted by Neil64
Hello All,

FYI, I went to my local Wally World and they no longer carry the Peak Final Charge.

Thanks..

Neil

I had to replace my waterpump last week and while I was at it I changed my coolant over to the Final charge that I got from Wallyworld for 9.87 a gal. Maybe your local Walmart was just out.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Neil,
Yours came with standard green coolant that required lots of testing and FW-16 additive when the SCAs got low. You can change to the Gold (G-05) stuff that came in mine, or go straight to full ELC, like the Final Charge Global or Rotella ELC. Check with Napa -- they should have the ELC. Just don't use Dex-Cool...

Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a coolant spec that must be used for the 7.3 such as: ASTM D-3306?

Thanks..

Neil
Ford spec ESE-M97B44-A and Fleet Charge SCA Precharge meets this spec

Old 03-24-2008, 11:22 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Low silicate.

'Vette Driver has the spec, above, and you have the spec on the SCA's.

BTW, that coolant spec is in your operator's manual.

Pop

Old 03-24-2008, 11:48 AM
uliman
Senior User
I went from green to gold on my 01 F250 V10 and getting ready to do the same with my 01 F350 PSD. The gold is not all that much more than the standard green stuff and then you don't have to worry about additives. Just be sure to fully flush the old stuff out and use distilled water only. It's a bit of work but when you are done you will feel much better about the cooling capabilities of your truck. Walmart has really cheap distilled water; forgot where I got the gold stuff (I think Pepboys);

Old 03-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Neil64
Senior User
Coolant

The list of stuff my truck needs keeps getting longer.

So far, front rotors need to be turned as they think they can salvage them. Rear rotors need to be replaced. Passenger side upper and lower ball joints (previous owner had driver's side done prior to selling me the truck), etc.

Anyway, I am still trying to find a reasonably good coolant.

There are many sites that claim OAT - Organic Acid Technolgy Coolant has not been approved to be used in Fords. I know we have an IH motor but what about the radiator, heater core, etc. These site may have dated info and I am leaning towards using a OAT coolant based on info provided by you guys. I am just throwing this out there....

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/art...cid=2&scccid=1
http://andersonimprovements.com/hobb...sysservice.htm
http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/powers~1.htm

I found some Final Charge but it is dilluted 50/50 just like the Cat EC -1 and other stuff I found at various stores including Tractor Trailer parts houses. As I am not doing the work, I am afraid that the mechanic will not be able to get all of the old coolant/water out and I will be running less that a 50% mix if I use premixed, not to mention, it is twice the price if you buy distilled water at Wally World.
I found some Gearhead extended life stuff but I haven't been able to get their specs - their webite PDF files won't open.

So far I have found the following brands in concentrate:

Prestone Heavy Duty - Green precharged with SCA.
Zerex - Gold Bottle G-05
Ford - Green and Gold at the dealer

That is it. Everything else is 50/50 premixed.

I am going to call IH, Catapiller, etc. Monday to see if I can find any OAT concentrated.

I do not want the hassle or expense of testing and maintaining SCA if I can help it. Worst case scenario, I'll go gold - Ford or Zerex.

Anyone have other ideas or recommendations?

Thanks..

Neil

Old 03-30-2008, 10:08 AM
007sniper
Junior User
Hello All,

I have a 00 F250 7.3 with 161K. I am having a shop do some maintenance - brakes pulsating, fuel filter and thinking about having them change the coolant as I do not know when it was last changed and have not tested it for SCA. For now, I think I would rather just run the green stuff as it is widely available and I am not sure if this shop or any other, would flush out all of the old green to go red. As such, I was wondering if I can run Peak Long Life Antifreeze. http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_longlife.html

BJ's has a good price on it but I am confused if the 7.3 needs low or no silicate antifreeze. I realize that I will need some FW-16 additive.

If all goes well with the maintenance, they will be installing my 4" exhaust and gauges.

Thoughts?

Thanks..

Neil
Neil went through the same thing the more I read the more confused I got I have an 2002 f 350 and in the owners manual it says to use WSS-M 97B51-A1 this is ford speification for my truck and on the back of Peak Global Lifetime a straight solution it has that number on it. that works for me you mix 50/50 distiled water after a complete flush.hope this helps.napa has it.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:33 AM
novice psd
Senior User
TSC carries Final Charge straight solution for I think $11.95 a gallon.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Neil64
Senior User
Coolant

I'll call a few NAPAs to see what they have. The two I went to had no OAT or HOAT coolant.

Who and were is TSC?

Thanks..

Neil

Quick Reply: Coolant