Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

am I crazy?

Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,626 Likes on 1,118 Posts
am I crazy?

Ok I am working on a deal to take over all of the service and maintenance of all trucks, tractors, farm equiptment, semi's, earth moving equiptment, and everthing else for Maughan Ranches! 20 + ranches in Arizona. this might be a big job. do I really want to quit being a helicopter mechanic? wow what a big decision.

Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

The only thing I would think about at this point Bart is travel. Truck prices & FUEL COST. Because I really believe we haven't seen the end of this whole deal. At least working for a ranch you will always have food & shelter if worse comes to worse.
Would you be a private contractor or an employee? Then with a family, insurance comes into play. Could be a good opportunity, but sleep on it for a few days.
Most of all pray about it & talk to church people also.
Craig

Old 03-21-2008, 08:50 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
have don all the above, I would be contract, as for insurance (health) I buy my own now. all service calls are billed driving time and mileage.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I guess now the only thing is do you want to work 24/7.

Craig

Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
that is my current schedule for being on call for the helicopter.
Originally Posted by kermmydog
I guess now the only thing is do you want to work 24/7.

Craig

Old 03-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bart, I have been Self Employed for 15 + years and I'll tell you that it was the Best thing I ever did! I could never Work for anyone else again, It's not easy steping out of a comfort zone and leaving a well paying job, But If I can do it anyone Can!
Good Luck with what ever you decide and I am sure you will do what is right for you and your Family. And NO your not Crazy!

Old 03-21-2008, 08:36 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Bart, I have to echo Bill's statement. I worked for myself for years also it is rewarding. I have only met you once, but I'm pretty sure you can do it. Your a sharp guy, with talent no doubt in my mind about that. The big difference between myself & you guys was I was single, & I could put all my time into my business. But I understand that on CALL STUFF. I have a friend in Northern Nevada that works for the R&R. He went to a local to get at least one regular day off. I know Travis knows the railroad.
Working for yourself means you can set your schedule. One thing I will say, I sensed from our meeting that you think thing through. I feel like if you don't do it you will always wonder. The other thing is you can always go back to working for someone anytime. Certified helicopter mechanics aren't walking around looking for work. I have a friend that was a jet mechanic in the Navy when he got out UPS grabbed him up, he later returned to the NAVY as a civil service jet mechanic. I believe he is still there & if he is he is on the base that Top Gun is based out of. I know you will make the right decision. I just wanted to play devils advocate to be sure you were thinking of everything.
Craig

Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 PM
AzBlueWolf
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
with great opportunity comes great responsibility

as long as you feel you can handle it, go for it!

and maybe it'll bring you to phoenix more often!

Mark

Old 03-22-2008, 08:36 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
I am leaving for Phoenix (mesa) right now to look at service trucks. the deal is done I am the official fleet service and maintenance company for Maughan Ranches.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Bart, Sorry we missed you in Prescott today, but good to talk with you via phone. Let us know what kind of truck you get. You will be OK with this new adventure. At least your now your own BOSS. Plus ours here on the Chapter. Being the Chapter boss rocketed you to great highs & future success. Not to mention BIG money. Good things happen to those that look for good things.

Craig

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
thanks craig, as for a truck it's the same old deal "97F450 low miles immaculate condition blah blah blah" get there and the truck has been repainted with rattle cans, the service body was for a srw not a dually so they just raised it about 6 inches? their "professional mechanic" was rebuilding 4 injectors when I looked on Saturday the engine was left open and uncovered from the day before, out in the dust. the turbo blades were worn into a radius, the inlet hose was about 1/8" thick inside with dust because "the recall on defective filter not complied with"
I have an appointment with Bill (my friend from church) who works at Prescott Honda ( where Craig bought his blazer) we are meeting with his wholesaler to try to find a truck.
until then I am looking for a F450, F550 or a 3500 Dodge dually 4X4 6 speed standard trans diesel.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:27 PM
UP_There
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
another issue nobody has brought up is........could you get your current job back if you don't like the career change? I operated forklifts for 12 1/2 years before I hired onto the Railroad.....I had no clue if I would like life on the rail or not, but I ended up loving it. I took a chance.....and it worked out GREAT! But.......I have a trade to fall back upon, and so do you being a helicopter mechanic. Life is too short to not strike out on your own and give it a shot! I say go for it!

Old 03-23-2008, 03:17 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
I won't be quiting my first job until the fleet maintenance is enough to support my family, I have discussed this with the ranch manager and he is fine with me being dedicated to my helicopter first.
the biggest reason for me doing this is our flight volume is really low and there is talk of closing the base, if that happens I would be forced to move again. right now the only open bases in Arizona are Show Low and Yuma. too far to comute at 4.00 per gallon for diesel.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:29 PM
helifixer
Lead Driver
as far as getting my job back? I will only leave on the best of terms, and with 17 years of helicopter experience 14 years of field maintenance, Factory trained and field experience on Bell 206B, 206L, 206LI, 206LIII, 206LIV, 407, American Eurocopter AS350D, AS350B, AS350B2, AS350B3, EC135T1, EC135P2, Mc Donald Douglas MD520N, 600N, Robinson R22, R44 airframes and trained and experience on Rolls Royce Allison 250 C20, C30, C47B C47M Turbomecca Ariel 1D1, 2B1A Pratt & Whitney PT206 PW206 PW207 and Lycoming Recip engines getting a job isn't too hard
Bart

Old 03-23-2008, 06:33 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Smile

Bart,

If you can get by with a 1 ton the Cummins with out perform & out last the Ford. On 2wd Dodges I have a friend that owns 3 or 4 of them with Cummins 12V, The highest mileage one has close to 400,000 miles it is pumped up & drags Mihindra tractors over Spring Mountain to and from Las Vegas as fast as he can make the curves without putting the trailer sideways. The weakest point on them is the front ends, New ball joints at about 140,000 miles. That is all he has done to his 1 ton other than a Banks System & performance stuff. As I told you Dodge did make a 4500 with the Cummins if you can find one.
If your going to be doing heavy work & pulling with your truck go talk with a mechanic from Fed X or UPS. I had a friend at church in Pahrump That worked for UPS in Las Vegas he told me he prayed for the day he never has to look at a Powerstroke they don't hold up under severe service. (If you notice UPS & Fed X are running Mercedes diesels NOW. Even there step vans are changing over as they replace them.) There OK for the average guy riding around & pulling a trailer. Under severe service your looking at cams every few hundred thousand miles. Which means a basic rebuilt engine. Well heck you might as well get a gas rig.
Craig

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: am I crazy?