1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Junk yard hunting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Junk yard hunting

Being a northern native of this country we always talk about the rust free iron "down south" and in the more arid parts of the country. It's fun to dream about scrounding around the junk yards in other parts of the country but I always wonder what else lurks in these areas. Up here in the upper midwest the worse vermin we might have to contend with is the non-poisonous spider or mean raccoon or possum, maybe on a extremely, extremely rare occation, a rattle snake, but most times usually nothing that we would need immediate medical attention if we ran into it.

My thought about heading to the southern parts of the country bring visions of rattle snakes, poisonuous spiders and scorpions. What I would like from you guys living in these parts of the country is an honest assestment of what you have run into, what you do to prepare to venture into the junk yards and out country in search of the elusive and vanishing old iron.

I have never been able to go junk yard exploring in other parts of the country and would really like to know what's like. Now is the time of year when we start getting our projects out of storage and heading on the hunt for parts so I thought maybe it's a good time to find out what is really out there.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:42 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
What I would like from you guys living in these parts of the country is an honest assestment of what you have run into, what you do to prepare to venture into the junk yards and out country in search of the elusive and vanishing old iron.
Deer-deer-deer-deer-deer-deer-deer-deer-dddeeeerrrr!

Sing the above to the tune of "Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance...

Sorry guys, couldn't resist!!!

R

Old 03-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Let's see I used to live in Texas. Hmmm junk yards,........... oh yeah. Snakes, fire ants, some more snakes and some more fire ants and did I mention fire ants...............

Old 03-16-2008, 07:00 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Where i live in central california, we have the black widow spider, but you can easily tell there web from the others, i like to carry a can of carb cleaner it does them in quick, but when you get into the foothill & mountian areas thats where you can run into Mr rattle snake.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Walston
Let's see I used to live in Texas. Hmmm junk yards,........... oh yeah. Snakes, fire ants, some more snakes and some more fire ants and did I mention fire ants...............
Yeah, you did mention the FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!!. And another thing in the south, Wasps!!!, several different varieties of them. It is warming up around here and they are coming out of the woodwork. Didn't see too many snakes around the salvage yards that I worked in, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
Don't come to south Arkansas looking for old iron in the wrecking yards, it all has gone to the crusher . If we don't save what is left, there won't be any old iron to build in a few years.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:19 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Aw, I've been prowling in NM and Colorado yards for 30 years and I've never come across a snake or anything else -- but I keep my eyes open!

There aren't that many finds left in commercial yards. There are still old-timers hanging on to their cherished old trucks, but the internet and cable TV have made them all aware (in a vague way) that that metal is worth more than $3/ton. The best trucks I've seen out in the styx are still in use, and the owners wouldn't think of parting with them.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:24 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I forgot about hornets and bees. We have them here and like anywhere else they like to nest inside whatever part you're after. I don't usually notice them until I'm inside a vehicle then I try to make a quick exit and have to rethink a plan of attack.

What I'm curious about it what do you guys do to prevent becoming victim to these monsters? Do you wear high leather boots for snakes, heavy gloves for scorps? I would assume the best defense is a good offense by knowing where they like to hang out and making noises or banging on parts to scare them off.

Those of us from the northern climes don't really know this kind of stuff and I thought it could come in handy for those of us who are able to make the trip. Or, you guys down there could keep quite, let us become vitims and that way you could eliminate us northern interlopers from scrounging what is left of your rust free iron.

Old 03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Bob at warsaw
Senior User
Hi Bob
Here in North Texas where i live it is mostley fire ants, red wasp, yellow jackets
rat snakes, few rattle snakes, some copperhead snakes, and spiders, possum
and raccons onley procet their young, take care and happy hunting

Old 03-16-2008, 07:44 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I have bees, hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets nests popping up all over everything in my own yard. One thing I am always on the lookout for are deerticks and woodticks. North Dakota still seems to have plenty of old trucks popping up on Upay, I may venture out that way one of these days. I would like to go South to venture, too....but not any time soon.

Oh, and the occasional skunk

Old 03-16-2008, 07:52 PM
OldgreenF1
Elder User
Copper heads, black snakes, mice, ants, wasp's and Hornets.
My family is from Tennessee and Virginia but up in Ohio I have seen a black snake and wasp's or bee's in old junkers.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Hey Bob, mostly we just have wasps, and bees. A few snakes, but not too bad. I'm terrified of snakes and DOGS!! I keep a can of wasp and hornet killer in the tool box as well as a snake bite kit. You can never be too careful!! I also keep a big pry bar for the mean junk yard DOGS!! (not all dogs go to heaven)

Old 03-16-2008, 08:09 PM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Here in misery, I mean Missouri we have poison snakes and non posion snakes, possum, foxes, bees, wasp, racoons, ground hogs, some beaver, bobcat, deer. Many salvage yards have raised the vehicles up off the ground but many in smaller towns they are still on the ground (not enforced by the law). Then the yard owner usually has guard dogs that roam the yard looking for food. Many of the old trucks are missing the shifter cover so they make a good home for young animals. Laying on the ground trying to remove nuts/bolts can be fun when a cold nose on your back or neck (guess what it is). It usually is one of the dogs but he don't know you and may not be friendly. We are like the mailman, nothing stops us from getting that part we need. Back in the fifty's my best friend's dad owned a salvage yard. Sometimes I think back how many cars and trucks we wrecked playing cops and robbers. After they stopped running we had to cut them up for shipping. Most were 30's, 40's and early fifty's cars. We still have some out of the way yards with old vehicles, not many. Have fun hunting this spring,chuck

Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have one yard nearby where the owner accompanies you around the yard with a rifle because bears tend to frequent his yard....

Other than that, there's really nothing in these parts to be afraid of except the yard owner's mood and prices......

Old 03-16-2008, 08:15 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
for some reason i had forgot to add those pesky wasps and yellow jackets to my earlier post.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:22 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We got Bears here too, it's always fun in the late Fall or early Spring (Like now), those Ol' Bears areDenning in, under or around the cars.
They get grumpy.

A couple years ago I found one denned up in an old Ford Van about 30 yards from my In-Laws House, been there all winter.

Quick Reply: Junk yard hunting