1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Injector replacement cost

Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
ajgoggin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Injector replacement cost

Anyone know what a dealership is going to charge me to replace my injectors? How about a non-dealership? How about a boyscout with a poclet knife? Anyone in CT or RI up for the task?

Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
FFemt5287
Elder User
unfortunately, my weekends are booked solid until about june of 09 with school. until then, i think you will find it a more than manageable task yourself. i did it in about 7 hours with the help of these guys and a great writeup from i believe it was tjbeggs. mind you, this was my first big time wrench-turning experience. did you buy the injectors yet? im venturing to say the dealership/any shop will charge you alot more money than waht a day off from work would cost you to change those puppies out.

-Brandon

Old 03-12-2008, 08:56 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you providing the injectors or are you buying them from the dealer?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 AM
ajgoggin
Freshman User
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Are you providing the injectors or are you buying them from the dealer?
The truck is fairly new to me so I had the dealership test a bunch of stuff. It smokes at startup pretty good. They said i needed glow plugs and the harness and also injectors eventually. The mechanic was honest with me and said that they're expensive (3 grand at the dealership ) and that I could wait on those.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I haven't taken any action yet but know i'd like to do this or have it done. I'm sure I can get the injectors someplace cheaper than the dealership. Also, while i'm sure I have all the tools and could probably do the job, I just don't feel comfortable tackling it on my own. I'd be happy to pay someone a reasonable price to do it, or pay them and have me help.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
MagKarl
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you want to blow a ton of cash, stay out of the dealership until you've read enough here to understand what's going on. You can do your own glow plugs and wiring harnesses with a metric socket set and a multimeter. If you don't own both of those yet, then go buy them. They'll pay for themselves the first thing you fix. You can send your injectors out to be overhauled for a few hundred bucks, do a search for DIY Injectors.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
If you take off your value covers to do the glow plugs and wiring harness, that to me is the time to do the injectors. The value covers, to me, are a real pain. If you can get some help in getting that far and the injectors out, send them to Beans Diesel Performance for a rebuild job. It will cost you $1,200 or so, I'm like the other guys, stay away from the stealership's. All they will do is take your money and give you a bunch of excuses!

Search this Thread