Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Injector replacement cost (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/718856-injector-replacement-cost.html)

ajgoggin 03-11-2008 09:09 PM

Injector replacement cost

Anyone know what a dealership is going to charge me to replace my injectors? How about a non-dealership? How about a boyscout with a poclet knife? Anyone in CT or RI up for the task?

FFemt5287 03-11-2008 10:34 PM

unfortunately, my weekends are booked solid until about june of 09 with school. until then, i think you will find it a more than manageable task yourself. i did it in about 7 hours with the help of these guys and a great writeup from i believe it was tjbeggs. mind you, this was my first big time wrench-turning experience. did you buy the injectors yet? im venturing to say the dealership/any shop will charge you alot more money than waht a day off from work would cost you to change those puppies out.

-Brandon

tjbeggs 03-12-2008 08:56 AM

Are you providing the injectors or are you buying them from the dealer?

ajgoggin 03-12-2008 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by tjbeggs
Are you providing the injectors or are you buying them from the dealer?

The truck is fairly new to me so I had the dealership test a bunch of stuff. It smokes at startup pretty good. They said i needed glow plugs and the harness and also injectors eventually. The mechanic was honest with me and said that they're expensive (3 grand at the dealership ) and that I could wait on those.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I haven't taken any action yet but know i'd like to do this or have it done. I'm sure I can get the injectors someplace cheaper than the dealership. Also, while i'm sure I have all the tools and could probably do the job, I just don't feel comfortable tackling it on my own. I'd be happy to pay someone a reasonable price to do it, or pay them and have me help.

MagKarl 03-12-2008 10:41 AM

Unless you want to blow a ton of cash, stay out of the dealership until you've read enough here to understand what's going on. You can do your own glow plugs and wiring harnesses with a metric socket set and a multimeter. If you don't own both of those yet, then go buy them. They'll pay for themselves the first thing you fix. You can send your injectors out to be overhauled for a few hundred bucks, do a search for DIY Injectors.

oldbird1965 03-12-2008 10:11 PM

If you take off your value covers to do the glow plugs and wiring harness, that to me is the time to do the injectors. The value covers, to me, are a real pain. If you can get some help in getting that far and the injectors out, send them to Beans Diesel Performance for a rebuild job. It will cost you $1,200 or so, I'm like the other guys, stay away from the stealership's. All they will do is take your money and give you a bunch of excuses!