2 or 3 Axles

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 01:55 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2 or 3 Axles

I've been looking around for a toy hauling 5th wheel camping trailer. I found a make/model I like...but the PDF brochure that is available on their site talks about they build their 5th wheel toy haulers with three axles to reduce stress on the tow rig. Going back to my professional steering wheel holder days....tri-axle trailers were allot harder to turn than dual...let alone the single axle trailers. If fact the tri-axle trailers went through tires faster than the rest. The reason was because one axle is getting drug sideways in a turn....tighter the turn, the harder the dragging. Does anyone have a tri-axle RV trailer on their forum? What would be the reduced stress on the tow rig? "Toung" weight? It can't be easier to turn...unless one of the axles "steers".

Old 03-05-2008, 03:09 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Seems like most rvs go to a triple axle setup instead of tandem duallies. Why, I dont know, but they do. Triple singles are hard on tires as well as bearings. My triple duallie slides more than the singles and is much easier on bearings than the singles my dad has had in the past. The stress on the tow rig must be a wieght issue. The trailer can pack more.

Old 03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
I think I'm on an impossible mission. I'm looking for a 5th wheel that is a cross between a bunk house and a toy hauler. I want the toy hauler so I can take the cruiser along on long vacations...but need the bunkhouse so I can separate the kids at night....I get tired of the "she touched me"...."he won't share" when it's time to go to bed. I don't want to say size isn't an issue I've been looking in the 30' to 35' range....but I can't get carried away since a F250 is going to be pulling this investment not a T350 Kenworth with a 300 Cat under the hood (as much as I wish it was, I've got the specs on paper if money was no object). Like I said, I need a bunkhouse so that the boss (beautiful bride) is happy with the sleeping arrangements. I've put thought to getting a normal bunkhouse and just getting a small enclosed trailer for the cruiser...I have doubles/triples endorsement on my license; but I'd rather only have one trailer behind the truck. Anyone got any ideas?

Old 03-05-2008, 10:05 PM
bneafus
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 06 Forest River 37' has two electric winched queen beds in the garage. One button brings them down from the ceiling like bunk beds. Up and out of the way the rest of the time. Very cool set up....Brian

Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bneafus
My 06 Forest River 37' has two electric winched queen beds in the garage. One button brings them down from the ceiling like bunk beds. Up and out of the way the rest of the time. Very cool set up....Brian

That is what I was thinking. I thik you will find that the triple axle will have alot bigger cargo like a car instead of quads

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 AM
nelstone74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO the singles are so there is more interior space. I also have never liked the singe wheel set up in heavy applications, the dual set up is much better. I think that your bunk house needs could be fufilled by getting a long flatbed trailer and then building a bunkhouse portion on the front. leaving the back for the toys. Your imagination and wallet would be the only limits. You could even make it removeable when not needed so then you would have a big trailer so you can be even bigger toys!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Actually, the main reason for three axles instead of two is due to the purchasing at the manufacturers. They order more 6000# axles then they do 7000# so they get a better price. Three 6000# axles will give you 18000# GVWR, which is where most of the larger toyhaulers are for weight ratiing.

Also most of the toyhaulers only have 2500# carrying capacity in the garage area.

Hope this helps with a few of the questions everyone has.

Toyman

Old 03-06-2008, 03:11 PM
99whiteford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Several folks in my are have taken goose neck box trailers and built them into campers and laid the interior out just as they wanted.Most then put a fancy paint job on the outside .The turn out making real nice campers.
I know of at least one manufacture that is also doing this.They call their trailers a (work And play) if you look at them they are nothing but a fancy box trailer.I have seen several in campsites over the last few years.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Cargo space/weight isn't an issue for me. My motorcycle only weighs 800#, when my wife rides, it's on the bike with me. My oldest is 8, so he's not old enough for his own bike...though the day may come when he wants is own is in my thought process on this next trailer purchase. All I need room for is a pair of small cruisers...not a pair of huge HD road glides...man those things are huge! I guess the quest goes on...bunk house, toy hauler with dual singles. Thanks for the information so far.