Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Turbo difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:41 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turbo difference?

So what really is the difference in going with a Wicked Wheel/ATS housing, and GT38R or a TN Turbo. Just kinda thinking about doing some shopping with the money I don't have. I would rather go with the Garrett due to reliability and a one piece unit.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:54 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The WW is a waste of money unless you do not want/have it to spend. Moves less air. If you want to reduce surge, it will assist in that. The ATS housing with the stock later wheel is a good combo and it will pretty much eliminate any surge.

The GTP38R and the TN BB units are bigger chargers. They are considered dropins as they simply replace the stock unit. Both units will make much more boost and do it quickly, as long as they can be fueled properly. Then we can get into exhaust housing sizes and whatnot looking at drive pressures. Their full potential is only realized with better injectors although there are gains to be had with the stockers.

There is also the van turbo option that is more than adequate for making power without surge. Of course it will not make as much as the BB units but it is a good option for many folks who want to step up but not get silly. Again, Van Turbo can make some good power. Just watch the drive pressures.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
WW serves it's purpose though, right? It reduces surge, at a lower cost then the AIS housing, with little to no drop in performance? I hope I have read enough on this forum to be correct here? Or is this an opinion thing?

Sorry for the hi jack

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM
MTDewX
Posting Guru
I thought the WW wheel was just another option, and did help. didn't know it had issues. interesting. I am about to get a re-built stock with the WW. dont want to spend the $ for Garrett or TN at this time.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I should have worded that differently. It is not a waste of money if all you are looking to do is eliminate surge without spending a lot and are willing to give up maximum flow capacity. There is nothing to argue here as it is easily evident when comparing the stock wheel to the WW. The reason the WW reduces surge is because it moves less air than the stock one at/near the surge point.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
indebt
Posting Guru
hey Mike will my 1.0 housing and a van turbo work out well together? I tow less than 10x's a year. What sort of lag would there be if any. I dont plan on doing sticks or hpop ANY time soon, just want a little more without going too crazy, thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM
robinsonpowerstroke
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the Banks Compressor Wheel and I see a couple of more pounds of boost.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Jorge, I am not a resident turbo expert. I will only post about what I have tried and the rest is physical characteristics and turbo MAP comparisons. I will leave it for van turbo guys who actually run this setup to comment on. Theory and flow go out the window when the rubber meets the road. I believe JTHarvey and Rampage can give you hands on experience with the van turbo setup.

While we wait, I believe the 1.0 housing is what the van turbo came with. I don't believe there is much of a lag problem with it. Remember, the vans have no IC, and hence come with the larger housing. Again, let the users comment.

I am currently running a GTP38R with a 1.15 housing. I can comment on that with a set of hybrids. I cannot even comment on how it would do with stock injectors because I did both at the same time.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:37 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by robinsonpowerstroke
I've got the Banks Compressor Wheel and I see a couple of more pounds of boost.
See, here is an actual hands on example but I wonder. This should not be happening unless something else was changed or he was surging really badly. Here is info on the Banks wheel right from their site:

High-boost Compressor Wheel
  • Eliminates compressor surge
  • Improves turbo performance at higher boost levels
  • Prevents possible turbo damage
Note how nowhere does it say "increases boost". If it did it would say so, believe me. It's all about surge reduction.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
See, here is an actual hands on example but I wonder. This should not be happening unless something else was changed or he was surging really badly. Here is info on the Banks wheel right from their site:

Note how nowhere does it say "increases boost". If it did it would say so, believe me. It's all about surge reduction.
And you know that Banks would say it makes more boost if it did. The only way you should get more boost out of a Banks/WW/Superior Wheel is if you adjust the wastegate, disable the wastegate, or put on a "Big Head" or similar setup.......or get more fuel in there.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It worked well for me. Got rid of my surge, no more overboosting, and has a cool whistle, too!! Price was right, and it did everything I need until I decide to copy Mike and get a GTP38r. BTW, I thought you went Single Shots for some reason, Mike. So you have the big hybrids, eh?? You must be faster'n hell now!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Izzy351
BTW, I thought you went Single Shots for some reason, Mike. So you have the big hybrids, eh?? You must be faster'n hell now!!!
Yes and no. It is way quicker in the extreme tune but not really good for driving around. My daily and MPG settings are great for economy but run like a dog. My mid setting needs more ICP because it takes too long to light the turbo. I just need some tweaking to get it there. I need to get more fuel going faster.

This is what happens when you try to tune safely for PMRs and put a bigger housing on. It's going to take moving the fuel up to the smoke point and then backing it off a tad. That ought to do it. Now I just need the time to have it done.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Mike for clearing that up, I know Joe here had once thought the ww wasnt a bad idea.. The one thing I hate about this site sometimes, is how many different opinions, sometimes, you just want to walk away and slam a beer. US newbees to the diesel repair/PMS world get caught up in the crossfire....

Old 02-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
No problem Pat. I don't know if anyone can ever clear this up but there is nothing wrong with the WW. It does what they say it does and does it well. I just take exception when someone says they make more boost with it. They probably make better boost where the other one begins to surge, or something else has happened.

Here's a thought, the design of the compressor wheel on my GTP38R is very similar to the WW when you look at the fins.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:02 PM
lostmybeer
Have a nice Beer!!!
Most likely got more boost when the o rings on the up pipes were replaced when the housing went back on. Leaky up pipes will cause you to loose some boost.

Mike, thanks for the info. Makes complete sense to me now.

Quick Reply: Turbo difference?