Sponsored by: DP Tuner

just curious?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:50 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just curious?

Ok soo i bought my truck thinkin i bought the best diesel motor well besides the cummins but sence i dont like the dodge truck cuz of the small quad cab i bought this ,now tell me lol everday do i have to worry about a injecter going a turbo going bad or the wire harness for the injecters to go bad??? llol or a leaking hpop my truck only has 85000 miles.soo im just curious ever sence reading these forums im second guessin my truck lol i cant afford a ton of repaairs and this motor does not look easy to get under the valve covers to do ne thing haha i know i havent had ne problesm yet sept for the alternator i just need it to go to florida and back from michigan in 3 weeks haha ... so far i found it doenst burn ne oil in 3000 miles the dipstick still says full so im pretty happy about that

Old 02-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

hey mud, i have 116+k on the ticker and have had no probs(other than rolling it ) so i guess the answer would be in all how you treat it. maintenance seems to be the key to the trucks soo..........
the truck is in the process of being rebuilt now. my dad's truck has 134k on the ticker and still going strong, it does have a rebuilt tranny, but that was from the previous owner not maintaining the truck, the guy had never obviously checked or changed the tranny fluid, if you do that then you are asking for the tranny to go. good luck with your PSD

Old 02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
squaredancer
Senior User
Hey mud, read thru all those posts again and I think you'll find that our PSDs are pretty reliable engines, except when you start to diddle with them, and at that it depends on the type of diddle. I notice you have the object of my desire (and lust) in your PSD, i.e. a DP tuner. I'd venture a guess that the more often you dial in the 120 Race position and go for black smoke, the more attention your motor will need.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
nah i usally use 80 eco cuz thers no diffence in 120 really
there is but not enuff to really play with it but i dont se why it would hurt ne thing sence the stock hpop cant keep up with it ne ways i think i will be ok im just worried about the stupid problems lol

Old 02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
square dancer how many how many miles do you got

Old 02-25-2008, 10:26 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
hahah my buddy needed to borrow my truck tonight to get to school and i let him drive it and his dad has a 01 with a edge and about 100 000 miles on it they tow a 17000 lbs goosneck for there spray foam business and he drove my truck and he gets back and hes like that dp tuner is wayy quicker then my dads and he;s like the tranny has way better shift habbits and he also said my truck drives down the road like brand new lol im like thats odd i thought it wonderd lol

Old 02-25-2008, 10:29 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
i worry to much i got ruined in the diesel market when i bought my idi turbo with 220,000 miles on it and id rahter had a 94 ford f350 then a chevyy 6.5 turbo diesel cuz I thought it was a better motor and OH what i had in store was a 6200$ bill for the new motor installed cuz the old one blew up on me with in 6 months of owning it ! soo now im scareed lol i cant afford 6200$ again lol

Old 02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
mudmaker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldnt worry about your pickup! My 02 F350 has 160k, X has 90k, my dads 01 has 185k. The only issues for me have been minor, cps, gpr, (3)alternators. My dad put a tranny in his at 130k.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
7.3's are the best, I have 205000 on mine and never have had the valve covers off. Cps and water pump are the only things sort of motor related that I have replaced.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:54 PM
muddingmcdude
Senior User
i love it the truck i wanna go see if my ball joints are bad yet cuz i kinda of like doing that kinda of stuff lmao it just scares me to do ne thing to that motor cuz its soo crammed in that engine capartment just doesnt look like fun ... lol thanks for makin me feel better lol

Old 02-26-2008, 12:02 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by muddingmcdude
i love it the truck i wanna go see if my ball joints are bad yet cuz i kinda of like doing that kinda of stuff lmao it just scares me to do ne thing to that motor cuz its soo crammed in that engine capartment just doesnt look like fun ... lol thanks for makin me feel better lol
Man, its all good. Once you get under there and kinda learn where everything is and what it does, youll find out that the engine compartment is not as crammed as you think. The 7.3 PSD is really a simple engine, yes it has some complex parts but most of them just keep going and going. Maintenance is the key to longevity. I think you will be fine back and forth to the sunshine state, and then for many miles past that. I know we (FTE) has got you covered with members along the way from OH,KY,TN,AL, and GA. so if your comin south and you break down, post it up, someone is probably near you that can help.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
280,000 miles and some of the WORST stuff to happen to me is a tensioner pulley, Rear main bearings ($65), and oh say...a flat tire. These are really TERRIBLE engines

I love her, wouldnt trade it for anything!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 AM
holstein05
Junior User
I think your truck is going to be fine. Might want to check out some grammar classes at the local community college though...

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by holstein05
I think your truck is going to be fine. Might want to check out some grammar classes at the local community college though...
Amen to that, I could not make heads nor tails out of any of the posts.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mud, Welcome to our fourm. In no time you will be doing all the work and maint. on your truck. Look at the 6.4 engines then tell us there is no room under our hood. lol. I hope you have a set of gauges, and a/m intake. Not good to run the DP without gauges. If you have not done this yet, I would suggest changing all the fluids, oil & filter, rear and front end, coolent, fuel filter, that way you have a base line for future changes.

Don't worry about your grammer, we didn't all go to college. As long as we understand what you are saying.

Good luck with the truck and enjoy.

Quick Reply: just curious?