Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New to the crew!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:58 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
New to the crew!

Hi all, I've been lurking a ton in the OBS PSD forums thinking that I'd end up buying one of those trucks. Long story short, I just drove home in this:

She's a 99 F250 4x4 PSD with an auto and 162K on the clock, basically stock except for 285/75/16 BFG All Terrains, a K&N filter (which will be going away!) and a Banks TransCommand module (not sure if this is a good product or not...) Normally a truck with this number of miles would have turned me away, but honestly (not just because I'm gloating over my purchase) this truck is CLEAN- the interior is nearly mint (never mind the phone setup, it's going away tomorrow) and the exterior is in very good shape, even the inside of the bed. I'm expecting to get arrested soon, because I drove this one away from a stealership for $12K out the door. We just got home about 6:30 tonight from the 3 hour journey home and I'm super pleased with the truck- it's really tight (you'd never know it has 162K miles, it drives like a truck with 62K miles on it) and listening to the motor and turbo (this my first PSD) had me grinning all the way home
Now please don't kill me, but I'm wondering if I can get some suggestions and links to common mods for the truck (I know I know, use the search but I'm hoping someone can point me to the really good threads and save me the time of weeding out the fluff that comes up in a search). I'd like to do at least a 6637 intake and a 10K mod- what are other common mods for this style truck? As I said before I've read a lot on the OBS PSD forums, do the Super Duty trucks benefit from mods like an FPR shim? (By the way, I'm sure you all are going to become very sick of all my newbie type questions. Speaking of that...) I also noticed that 2-3 minutes after start-up, the exhaust and motor make a surging sound (hard to explain through a keyboard) but it goes away if you stab the throttle- do these trucks have an EBPV like the OBS trucks or is what I'm hearing something else?
Another question for you all- what size tank is typical in these trucks? When I went to test-drive this one, the low fuel light was on so the salesman put 5 gallons in it, which barely moved the needle. I test drove it maybe 10 miles or so, and on the right incline the light would come back on. When I went to fuel up for the drive home I was expecting it to take 30-35 gallons max... I shut the hose off at 45 (yes, 45!) gallons (because I didn't have any Vaseline with me...) This truck must have an aftermarket tank on it- the thing extends from the back of the front doors to the front of the rear wheels. I drove 130 miles before the needle on the fuel gauge ever even flickered.
Long story short, I'm stoked about my first PSD and already suffering from PMS... I need some mods!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice. How much money do you have to spend?

The fuel tank will likely hold 39 gals max. 10k mod is cheap but sux. Save for a good chip. If not in the budget, it will work. Why do I say it sux? Because a good tune will have the tranny doing what you want when you want it to.

There is much or nothing to do. Depends on you. The truck looks great and looks like a great buy. Watch that tranny closely.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:13 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
I have a little money set aside, but not much for now. I'm hoping to start with a 6637 intake and ditch the K&N, then a chip. What chips work for these trucks? I know DP Tuner and TW are all the rage for the OBS, but I've heard rumblings that Edge tuners work good on the newer trucks.
Fuel tank is definitely more than 39 gallons unless the pump was lying to me. I'll try to get pics tomorrow of the tank.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:42 AM
Chance_Thomas
More Turbo
Looks like we have the same truck but did added a little to mine.

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2008, 03:37 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats on the new truck..is she an early 99 ?? you can find mod's listed in my sig..just click on the mods and fixes link...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:37 AM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
you've got a short bed truck so the FACTORY tank was a 29 gal. If you pumped 45 gals in then definatley an aftermarket. Maybe a transferflow replacement tank?

Yes, DP and TW are the rage here too. don't settle for anything less. otherwise you will be having to justifiy spending more money on those tunes in a few months.

Like Mike said 10K will work but sux. if you go with the DP or TW chip then the 10K should be removed anyway.
The FPR shim also works, it doesn't suck, it is a good mod, as long as you have a healthy fuel pump.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM
jeffthralls
Senior User
Nice truck and congrats on the price! The fun has just begun for you .

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I also noticed that 2-3 minutes after start-up, the exhaust and motor make a surging sound (hard to explain through a keyboard) but it goes away if you stab the throttle- do these trucks have an EBPV like the OBS trucks or is what I'm hearing something else?
Nice truck. I had a similar experience and bought my '99 for 13K with 164,000 miles on her back in 2006.

And yes, that "surge" sound you are hearing is the EBPV, and the idle will return to normal if you hit the throttle or the brake petal. Sounds like a jet engine or giant leaf blower. It's your truck's way of warming itself up when its cold outside. Nothing to be concerned about.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats man!! Nice truck you have there. Good luck and let us know how your mods progress. Can't say anything more except

Old 02-25-2008, 08:07 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Yep, ,,that's a nice truck. I would start with a 6637 filter, and then a free flowing exhaust. Anything you do to allow air to flow through the engine easier will help out wether you get a chip or not. In my opinion these are the 2 best starting points for engine mods. These will also help a chip do better when/if you decide to go that route. Auto transmissions are the weak link on these trucks unfortunately, so be sure to keep up on the maintenance on it. You might want to consider using a synthetic fluid in the transmission, and possibly a tranny aftermarket cooler if you plan on doing some heavy towing. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice truck!

Glad to have you as part of the group. Stick around, this place is not only very informative but really fun too. Lots of great people here.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:04 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Smokin'
And yes, that "surge" sound you are hearing is the EBPV, and the idle will return to normal if you hit the throttle or the brake petal. Sounds like a jet engine or giant leaf blower. It's your truck's way of warming itself up when its cold outside. Nothing to be concerned about.
Good to know- any benefit from unplugging it? The truck has 2 switches on the dash that I haven't figured out what they are for yet, my guess is there used to be some aftermarket lights on the truck but I'm wondering if someone turned the EBPV into an exhaust brake and did a T/C lock.

Originally Posted by ron's power stoke
congrats on the new truck..is she an early 99 ?? you can find mod's listed in my sig..just click on the mods and fixes link...
I don't know how to tell, but the build date was 10/98. Didn't the early 99's have the small "Powerstroke V8" badge on the front of the fender? This truck has the long oval badges on the doors- not that it's not easy enough to switch badges but just an observation.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:17 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Like you said, the badge thing isn't the best way to tell about the early vs. late thing. The build date being the definitive determining factor. I think it's considered early until March of 1999, but I could be wrong. You can also look at the "dog bones" portion of the intake tract. It is smaller on the early 99's. I believe with your build date you are an early, but I'm sure one of the more "in the know" posters will chime in and either back me up or dispute my answer.

Welcome to the forum, like Scott said, there is a lot of great people here and it is a fun place to hang out. I have been a member of a lot of different types of forums on the net over the last 8 years or so. I have never found a better bunch than right here in the SD 99-03 7.3 forum and thats a fact. This is the best forum on the net.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Smokin'
Smokin
Originally Posted by superduty4x4
Good to know- any benefit from unplugging it?

I don't know how to tell, but the build date was 10/98. Didn't the early 99's have the small "Powerstroke V8" badge on the front of the fender?
Some of the guys around here have disconnected their EBPV. You would have to ask someone that has done it I haven't paid much attention to the benefits as posted on here.

With your build date, i'd say yours is an early '99. Mine was built only two months prior to yours in 08/98. Door badges mean nothing. Mine has no "powerstroke" badges whatsoever. People take them off, replace them with newer ones, what have you.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:28 AM
doc526
Senior User
Congratulations on the new ride!!

Quick Reply: New to the crew!