Sponsored by:

Fiberglass body tub?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Bobcat7
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiberglass body tub?

Hey where is the best or maybe the cheapest place to find a 'glass tub? I bought a '69 rust pile with good doors, hood and hardtop.
Supposed to have the "mexican 302" also (btw - how do you tell without pulling the intake to read the "Hecho en mexico...).

I am thinkin of putting a glass tub on a bronco 2 frame that I put a 4.0 in and then the body fell apart on. My buddy has gotten a couple of jeep tubs and said there is a large diff in the quality of the products. Like metal in the hinge areas as oposed to wood reinforments. And maybe wood is better as it will never seperate, rust, etc.

Thanks guys...

Old 02-25-2008, 06:44 AM
ken75ranger
Elder User
There are 2 mfg's of Bronco bodies.
http://www.terracomp.us/
http://www.kentrolinc.com/
I went with Kentrol. At the time they had the best body on the market. Terra comp was a different company then and now they are also building good quality bodies.
As far as the mexican block I don't see the big advantage to them in a Bronco. A decent flowing set of heads goes a lot farther in my book.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:14 PM
Boba Fett
Elder User
Mexican block don't say hecho in Mexico. They have bulges on the block on the front below where the cylinder heads bolt. They look simple because of that. They are only good because the are high nickel content blocks like those US with D4 or earlier castings and I think the have the 8.206 deck height versus the 8.299 low compression junkers that were employed in the US in the Seventies.

Why would you not use the 69 frame. Early Broncos like Toyota trucks have boxed steel frames, which is why they are so desirable for off roading. The doin't have the ladder fram flex, or ****ty rivited ladder frames like Chebbys and Jeeps of the same era.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Bobcat7
Senior User
I was just in the dreaming phase right now. But that 69 is rotted to pieces. I should post a pic or two of the plywood fenders and angle-iron re-build that the ol' guy before me did.

I think they call it UP engineering.

I had heard/read that high nickle content thing but wasn't aware of the bumps you wrote about. Doesn't really matter to me - I have 150 bucks wrapped up in this and I'm sure I coould get that for the doors, hood, roof, etc.

I also have a f-250 frame from a '95 2wd that is spotlessly rust free. I did some measuring and could chop and join that frame to get the proper wheelbase. My buddy said I would be a fool as the object is to get lighter - not so much stronger.
The most we do up here is snow riding coming up here pretty quick. (still 4 ft of the white stuff in the high woods yet) And skidder trail riding. There is still tons of company land (CFR commercial forest reserve - the co's pay little in taxes but have to leave it open for recreational use) open for hunting, fishing and makin' mud. My friend goes to a mud-bog now and again but they don't pay much so ya gotta do it for fun really. I live in Michigan's Upper Penninsula.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Boba Fett
Elder User
The body might be totally shot. Many times they are. The frames might look rusty, but are usually good. Check it out before you pitch it. Just do not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I would save the hood/doors/roof because then you have them and all you need is the tub. You also need all that inner fender core support stuff at front too.

If you are contemplating cutting and joining a frame... you can do that.... fix the frame on the bronco with some patch metal. Only places I've seen them rust through is the area near the gas tank.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:53 AM
76 crew
Senior User
Don't the mexican blocks come with screw in freeze plugs like the Boss 302?

i could be wrong though.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
RCrawler
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I've researched, the Mexican 302 has heavier main caps and is comparable to a pre 74 casting, like BF said. There are mixed reports of whether they truly are a higher nickel content than the later 5.0 blocks. They do have "hecho en Mexico" cast into the lifter valley.

Jason

Old 03-19-2008, 09:09 AM
play400
Junior User
Hey what ever happen to 4WD Hardware. I believe they made Bronco, Scout and Jeep bodies in the 80s. Made a real good product not like that Kontrol or Mallette? crap. My kid wants to get rid of his CJ5s and redo the last Bronco I have so we need a body. Would even consider a race body as I want to pro street it and he wants to off road.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM
benshere
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doors

I have been looking at glass tubs myself for my 72. Doors are a problem. Mine can be repaired, patch panels an skins are available. One question I cant seem to find an answer for is what to do about the window frame. Early years supposedly bolted to the door, later one were welded. Mine have rust through at the weld. I have tried to get a parts drawing on the bolt ons, but no luck. Maybe someone else has similar problem. No luck, so far, on "search"!

I dont see much available on the EB sites. I would think something would be available with so much else.