Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Gas leak under my 87 f250 dual tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 08:19 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Gas leak under my 87 f250 dual tank

I posted before that I just bought this truck. Owner said intank fuel pump on front tank bad. So I have to use only rear tank and remember to change switch from REAR to FRONT in cab when I turn truck off or the rear tank pump continues to run even with key off.

Well today I forgot to turn off REAR pump in cab for about a half hour while in store. When I came out I drove home and then got out of cab I smelled gas. I looked under truck and gas was running and dripping off the front tank side near switching. It is pouring out fairly steady. Did I blow a hose or something? very strange?

Help!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Did it pump all the fuel from the rear tank into the front?
I have seen the metal lines @ the top of the sending unit/pump bulkhead (the round disc that seals to the hole in the top of the tank) rust off from all the road grime sitting up there.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:57 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Did it pump all the fuel from the rear tank into the front?
I have seen the metal lines @ the top of the sending unit/pump bulkhead (the round disc that seals to the hole in the top of the tank) rust off from all the road grime sitting up there.
Thats a good question. I did not know the fuel would go from rear to front. That may be why they never replaced front intank fuel pump. Maybe tank is leaking on top or at lines you mention. wonder if leaving this switch on pumped gas into that tank and now it is leaking? I will look tomorrow and see where it may be coming from.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:24 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Looked under truck and can not trace leak. It was gone when I looked today. Turned on pump and did not see leak again. It was pretty substantial last night so I cant believe it just disappeared?

Old 02-24-2008, 01:41 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

I just thought that perhaps since the rear pump was running all the time, and you do switch to front to 'solve' the problem. The fuel might have been returning to the front tank and spewing from a rusted out line.
subford has posted on the fuel transfer issue. Bill really knows his stuff.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...rear-tank.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ight=fuel+tank

Hope this helps.
I have a mechanical pump so no real experience here, just asking a question that I thought might point you in the right direction.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
No problem. I appreciate your help. I know the front pump does not work as I dont hear it when choosing front and truck dies. Wonder if when I forgot to turn back to front when I turned car off and the rear pump continued on that it may have pushed gas into front tank and that tank may have a leak?: Yikes.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:07 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Well that was my line of thought, given that the front pump doesn't work.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:25 PM
papamojo
Freshman User
Here is a more clear explanation of the problem. I posted this on WA board.

Just got my first Ford truck in over 30 years. Its a nice 87 F250xl. Good cond with some quirks. The main quirk is a dangerous one, and one I need some help on.

When I bought it the old guy original owner said the front gas tank is not working. Pump in tank had he said. Also he said I have to put in cab tank selector switch in REAR to drive but put back in FRONT when turning truck off. He said its due to tank pump in front tank being bad as well.

Yesteray I forgot to turn off switch when parking at store. So it was operating in REAR for a half hour. When I drove to next store I turned it of (FRONT) and when coming back to truck I noticed gas dripping off drivers side of FRONT gas tank onto ground under truck. I waited and it seemed to stop. I bravely drove to gas station and put gas in ReAR tank as it was low. Gas leak appeared to still be stopped.

Note: I can clearly hear rear tank pump when switch in truck on REAR while key is one or off. In FRONT in cab switch posistion I hear nothing.

When I got home and got out of truck after turning tank selector to FRONT for off. I noticed the gas again steadily running down side of front tank and onto ground. I parked on dirt as to not let it pool.

Today when I went to climb under truck to investigate I did not see any gas leaking. I stared it and ran it and no leak. I dont see where gas might have been leaking from?????
I am perplexed at what is wrong?????

I would like to drop the front tank and replace fuel pump but have never done this.

Would anyone want to make a few bucks to help me near Marysville WA or suggest someone that wont rip me off. I work for a living and really cant afford a huge repair for something I would rather pay fair to a member to help with. Even could take you salmon fishing as I live for it every weekend on my boat.

Thanks.
Tod In Marysville.