Are gauges really needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 04:54 PM
jhorton
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are gauges really needed?

Hello fellas.
I searched and searched these threads looking for an answer to this question. I will try to be as detailed as possible with my question so i can get accurate answers from you guys. I am 40 years old and own a 2002 F250 Crew 4x4 with the 7.3. I don't want to take it to the pulls or to the track but would like a little extra punch when I kick it in the ***. I ordered the 6637 air filter and it is sitting on my work bench. I also picked up the Diablo Predator (yes, i know I need the DP, but i don't have the $600 I would need for the 6 settings) and my 4" turbo back straight exhaust is on the way. I plan to run my tune in the 60 HP setting.

With this said, do I need gauges to help prevent tearing something up?

Old 02-22-2008, 04:57 PM
jhand124
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhorton
Hello fellas.
I searched and searched these threads looking for an answer to this question. I will try to be as detailed as possible with my question so i can get accurate answers from you guys. I am 40 years old and own a 2002 F250 Crew 4x4 with the 7.3. I don't want to take it to the pulls or to the track but would like a little extra punch when I kick it in the ***. I ordered the 6637 air filter and it is sitting on my work bench. I also picked up the Diablo Predator (yes, i know I need the DP, but i don't have the $600 I would need for the 6 settings) and my 4" turbo back straight exhaust is on the way. I plan to run my tune in the 60 HP setting.

With this said, do I need gauges to help prevent tearing something up?
Absolutly, at least boost and pyro, and if you like your tranny then a trans temp gauge. If you want a new trans and need an excuse then wait for it to cook and get a gauge with the new tranny...JK. It's nice to moniter the vitals though. __________________

Old 02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Na... You dont need gauges... If you have a spare 8-10k lieing around for a new motor then the $300 for a set of gauges is not worth it!

LOL J/k, but I have two cooked PSD's in my shop from High EGTs...

Old 02-22-2008, 05:04 PM
jhorton
Freshman User
I guess what I am asking is what will cause the EGT's to rise? I can see if I stand on it and shove the pedal through the firewall. What happens if the EGT's rise? Do I pull over to the side of the road and let the thing cool down?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:11 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jhorton
I guess what I am asking is what will cause the EGT's to rise? I can see if I stand on it and shove the pedal through the firewall. What happens if the EGT's rise? Do I pull over to the side of the road and let the thing cool down?

They are going to rise regardless, but if they rise too high then just let off of the throttle.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
If you don't tow, or dont work it hard, no you don't really need gauges. they are only to watch. You "should" add them to the list, but have fun adding power now. To be honest i've never let out of the pedal or switched a program due to too much boost, higher EGT or transmission temp. Rarely tow a trailer, or work it hard, and you dont need it. Hook up a trailer and they are mandatory!

Old 02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
jhorton
Freshman User
Thanks guys. Now I am confused and not sure what I should do. I had a budget to work with and purchased the items I listed in the start of this thread. Totally forgot about the gauges. I drive 10 miles to work and very seldom pull a trailer. Once a year I pull a 23 foot redline from Nashville to Charlotte. I wanted a tuner so that I might be able to run more efficiantly and have that added punch when needed. I really don't want to burn anything up so I guess I better wait until I can raise the funds for the gauges before putting the 60hp tune on it. Any other advice is appreciated.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
a-rod
Posting Guru
Yeah I learned the hard way running a tuner without all the gauges. I was running the superchips tow-perf tune, which i think is 60-80 hp, I was in the hills going through some deep snow runnin the truck pretty hard, almost fried my tranny, burned the fuid pretty good. I do have an EGT gauge so I was watching it, but I was even having a hard time keeping it in the "safe zone" You would be amazed how quickly those temps can rise if you ever have to run it hard. So I guess I would say atleast get an EGT gauge for now, thats the most important one.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:33 PM
randomhero1172
Posting Guru
I have wondered the same question - Im getting 5" stacks and have the 6637 - im not getting gauges. If i tow i never push her hard up hills - i live in MI and its not too hilly. Also i never tow over 10K for extended periods. I cant do the damn wireing and i know that to get someone else to do it would be a good $300-400..possibly more. I just dont push the truck hard enough

Old 02-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Don't let the wiring scare you off. Run power & ground up to the pillar (if you putting them on the pillar). Connect all reds & blacks to those. Run the lights wire to the switch, and tie into the brown wire (double-check me on that -- I've slept since I did mine!!). Then it's a simple matter of running to the boost tee with the tube, the tranny temp pickup that just plugs in, and the EGT pickup, which also just plugs in. I did the wiring one night after work, and did the gauge install the second night. Not too hard of a job, really.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:15 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Lights to the gauges on most 02 and up are blue/pink tracer, behind the headlight **** switch.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by randomhero1172
I have wondered the same question - Im getting 5" stacks and have the 6637 - im not getting gauges. If i tow i never push her hard up hills - i live in MI and its not too hilly. Also i never tow over 10K for extended periods. I cant do the damn wireing and i know that to get someone else to do it would be a good $300-400..possibly more. I just dont push the truck hard enough
Like Izzy said, don't let it scare you. If you get the Isspro's from Diesel Manor, they come with a very good set of instructions and they have an after hours help line. I am not very good at wiring, and I did mine and have had zero problems with them.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by HKusp
and I did mine and have had zero problems with them.
Now that's sayin' something! "so easy a caveman could do it".

Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Lights to the gauges on most 02 and up are blue/pink tracer, behind the headlight **** switch.
Thanks Kris. Not sure where I got brown from....

Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Now that's sayin' something! "so easy a caveman could do it".
Hey now....

Quick Reply: Are gauges really needed?