Cast Iron Intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:34 AM
bvwarrior
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cast Iron Intakes?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-Oct-02 AT 11:49 AM (EST)]Can you get after market cast iron intakes that would fit a 400? Taking a 2bbl to 4bbl spacer just didnt cut it. Trying to stay within stock rules for mud drags. No aluminum intakes are allowed. Want to go to 4bbl but cant if I want to stay in the stock division.... Why stock? Its where the money is at.

Old 10-08-2002, 11:41 AM
beartracks
Lead Driver
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts
Cast Iron Intakes?

I've never heard of a cast iron manifold for the 351M/400 except for the stock 2V. Holley makes some big two barrel carbs though. At least up to 500cfm. You would hog out the holes in the manifold to match.

Old 10-08-2002, 10:20 PM
bbtkd
Tuned
Cast Iron Intakes?

>Can you get after market cast iron intakes that would fit a
>400? Taking a 2bbl to 4bbl spacer just didnt cut it. Trying
>to stay within stock rules for mud drags. No aluminum
>intakes are allowed. Want to go to 4bbl but cant if I want
>to stay in the stock division.... Why stock? Its where the
>money is at.

Find someone good with metal working - and have a 400 2V intake changed to accept a 4V carb. I take it you are running the 2V heads, but if not then you would need to do some grinding to make the intake match the heads. I have seen pictures of a 2V iron intake changed to take a 4V carb, presumably done for the same reason you want one. The work looked pretty good. Presumably they welded on a bunch of metal and then hand ground the 4V pad.

Old 10-09-2002, 10:43 AM
bvwarrior
Freshman User
Cast Iron Intakes?

Yes I am running 2v heads. I thought about looking for someone that does that type of machining but havent ever heard of it being done. Thanks for your input. Id be happy to hear if this procedure is good or bad.

Old 10-09-2002, 03:31 PM
blu93gt
Senior User
Cast Iron Intakes?

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Oct-02 AT 04:42 PM (EST)]there is a web page somewhere that shows how to convert the 2v intake for a holley 4v carb. i looked for the page, but couldn't find it - it's about a 400 stroker buildup a machine shop owner did for a tow truck. i think it came out to 435cid. he used a regular 2v intake and made it into a 4v - there were a lot of pictures...

also, i don't know if it's allowed or not, but you could use
the 351c to 400 intake spacers to fit a 351c 4v intake, but the port mis-match would be terrible unless you used 4v heads of course you'd have to be careful in selecting an intake - some of the factory intakes were aluminum, and if someone had, for some reason, painted one of those intakes, then it would look a lot like a factory iron intake.

Old 10-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cast Iron Intakes?

>there is a web page somewhere that shows how to convert the
>2v intake for a holley 4v carb. i looked for the page, but
>couldn't find it - it's about a 400 stroker buildup a
>machine shop owner did for a tow truck. i think it came out
>to 435cid. he used a regular 2v intake and made it into a
>4v - there were a lot of pictures...

The page you're looking for is at:

http://members.tripod.com/lyc_42/km434/km434.htm

Unfortunately right now the pic links seem to be broken. Dunno why.

Old 10-09-2002, 05:47 PM
blu93gt
Senior User
Cast Iron Intakes?

of course - Kenny Moore, and 434...

i was looking for Dave Williams and 435!

Old 10-10-2002, 02:21 AM
Brian S
Posting Guru
Cast Iron Intakes?

I haven't see the pics for a while. Does anyone know how to contact K Moore?

Old 10-10-2002, 10:31 AM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Cast Iron Intakes?

>I haven't see the pics for a while. Does anyone know how to
>contact K Moore?

I believe that Dave Williams put the site together so you might want to try contacting Dave at: dw42@angelfire.com

Old 10-10-2002, 06:13 PM
yak
Senior User
Cast Iron Intakes?

i looked at a 78 licncoln the other day and it had a 400 with a factory 4 barrel carb. it was an autolite. i know it isn't a new cast iron intake but it would be better than a 2 bbl.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:46 PM
Bill_Beyer
Posting Guru
Cast Iron Intakes?

>i looked at a 78 licncoln the other day and it had a 400
>with a factory 4 barrel carb. it was an autolite. i know it
>isn't a new cast iron intake but it would be better than a 2
>bbl.

If it was a 400 then it didn't come from the factory with a 4 barrel carb. It may have been an Autolite carb but it was on an aftermarket manifold.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:57 AM
Brian S
Posting Guru
Cast Iron Intakes?

A 400 and a 460 look very similar but the thermostat housing on the 460 intake is a dead give away. Intakes on 335 engines have no water passages. It's been a recent topic on the Bronco board. ------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does any one know of a Ford Intake Manifold for a 4bbl. How much are they worth and what did they come on. I saw one in the junkyard today off of a 79 bronco. thanks
tmb
------------------------------------------------------------------------
They were not available on our trucks. I think you could find one off of a LTD or Grand Marquis of the same years. Aftermarket intakes are readily available and weigh adout 50lbs less than stock. They are available with or without an egr valve.
--------------------
tmb,
Ford never made a 4V manifold for the M-block (351M/400) engines.
If you saw a 4V manifold in the junkyard, it was either for a different engine (351W or 460 maybe?), or it was an aftermarket manifold painted to match the engine.

If you can find an original 4bbl 400 intake, then it'll be worth a small fortune. The only year they were made( that I'm aware of) was in 1971 and there were damn few of those.I saw one back in the mid 70's sittin in a junkyard when I was a teenager. If I'd a known then what I now know I would have bought it( the complete motor)
It's a 4bbl intake with "Ford" molded into the top on the manifold. It was a Ford manifold. It had a 4bbl holley bolted to the top of it. He wanted $100 for the manifold and the carb.
tmb
----------------------------------------------------------------------
they do exist,and they are very rare,and to the right person like someone who was doing a concourse restoration ,it would be worth gold!
my sugestion to you would be to grab it and run!
--------------------
If its an original factory Ford intake, then it's worth more than $100. I doubt it is , the Edelbrock Performer also has Ford cast into the intake.Most likely it's an aftermarket intake.
I can't tell you how many times I've heard stories about a mythical 400 4V, but I can tell you that there is no Ford part number for a 351M or 400 4V intake manifold in any Ford parts book all the way back to 1970 (when they first started making these engines).
Over the years, Ford did make 4V intake manifolds for every other OHV V-8 (starting with Y-blocks back in the '50s), but never for the 351M/400.
The Edelbrock Performer manifold has the Edelbrock logo and the model name (Performer 400), but it does not have "Ford" cast into it anywhere.
This tale may never end unless someone finds the real thing. I don't think it exists, but I have seen a few experimental parts show up over the years that I didn't think existed either.
I ground off the Edelbrock emblem from my manifold and painted it blue to make it look stock. I even spliced 2 stickers together to make it say 400 4V on the air cleaner.
There's a guy who built a 434 stroker and milled his iron intake opening large enough to fit a 4V carb without an adapter.
I thought I saw an intake sold through the SVO catalog that looked identical to the Performer but had a ford emblem cast in it.
The debate goes on.
I'm still waiting for some hard evidence.
Dudes, it had FORD cast into the top of the manifold. It was an iron intake with some rust. There was not evidence of it being an edelbrock. He took it off of a 351M. It won't last long, what should I do or look for on the manifold?
tmb
The only way to find out is to pick it up.
I have a factory 4V manifold for a Dodge 318('54-'66). Everyone said "they don't exist", but I found one in a marine junk yard. It turns out they were only made for marine applications, and there was no automotive listing. Just a thought.
tmb,
You should for sure check it out to satisfy your own curiosity. From what I've seen in junkyards, most of those guys don't really know their beans about M-block engines. I had one guy try to sell me a 400 as a 460!
Anyway, it's pretty simple. You can tell immediately whether its even a 335-series (351C/351M/400) manifold by looking for a thermostat housing. Since the 335-series engines are the only Ford OHV V8s with a dry manifold, a thermostat housing automatically rules it out.
If there's no thermostat housing, measure the distance across the manifold between the bottom of the head faces. On an M-block manifold it will be almost exactly 8.5 inches. Any less and it's a 351C manifold.
I can't give you a casting code for a 4V M-block manifold because it's not listed in any books, but I can give you casting codes for a 351C 4V manifold (the only possible alternative).
Casting codes D0AE or DxZE (where "x" is a digit) are 351C 4V manifolds. Some 351C D1ZE manifolds are aluminum.
Maybe its one of these Aussie produced models!
Like the one for sale here on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1862152355
Aw c'mon! This thread is too interesting to let die! somebody update us and tell us whether it was a really a factory 4V manifold from a 351M/400 or what!
Well bubbaF250 can say whatever he wants ( or thinks) but I know what I saw back in the 70's, A real live 400 4bbl. That's my story an I'm stickin to it!

Old 10-11-2002, 04:32 AM
GT40man
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cast Iron Intakes?

ok yes ford made a 400 4v intake. yes there was a part number, no i dont know it. it was available in 1971-72. no one that i know that is a ford nut or has worked at ford has ever seen one, but the old parts guy i talked to in brunswick me know about it. i have heard stories about it, but outside of knowing it was a dealer item only, can not say any more.

this is like bigfoot.

i had a email converstion with dave williams about the intake conversion, he said the cost is way to high. so unless you are stubborn and have money to waste, i would not try the intake mod.

for those that want to dispute the inke info with me, this is what i know from wasting about a week of my time in the 80's. ford could have made a part number but never made the part (been done before).

Old 10-17-2002, 11:10 AM
bvwarrior
Freshman User
Cast Iron Intakes?

Well what I think Im going to do is just order a Holley 500 cfm and have the guys at the carb shop beef it up for the engine. Does anyone know if these guys do good work? THE CARB SHOP, ontario california
Thanks

Old 10-18-2002, 09:29 AM
kid vishus
Freshman User
Cast Iron Intakes?