Oil & Lubrication  

how bad is Fram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:45 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge rmb
I really opened a can of worms with this thread!!! All I wanted to know is if I should replace my fram tough gaurd with a different filter BEFORE my next oil change. LOL
You ain't seen nothing yet, start a thread about amsoil, if you want some entertainment.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Tedybear
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Words: Royal Purple.

(could not resist)

Actually while I used to have Fram filters in our cars and trucks in the past? My last work was done on our now 'deceased' 1992 Probe GT. (2.2 Mazda Turbo engine) That engine uses HLA's in the valve train. (like a lifter attached to the arm that pushes down on the valve stem). We had horrible lifter knock for ages, and frequent oil changes with different weights and grades did not help. We finally upgraded to napa gold--and the tick/knock vanished. I can't quite explain why? We've always used high quality oil, and a qt. of Lucas at every oil change? But once we change filter brands? The engine ran better then ever.

Plus Fram talked up their anti-flowback valve in the filters--So I did a quick and dirty test. Last time we used one before changing out? I pulled the filter. Dry as a popcorn fart....The quicker you get oil to the turbo's bearings the better, and having a filter that kept the oil from back-draining would be great! However the Fram's valve didn't work--and the Napa Gold's filter did what it was advertised to do.

With our latest project? We went with MotorCraft. It's not some eye catching advertisement that swayed us. The filter just looks better constructed. The best in my opinion would still be a K&N Filter. But it comes at a much higher cost, and we are not into high performance at this time. Just something solid and reliable.

S-