N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Do you feel Lucky?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you feel Lucky?

I do - and bet I get lucky this weekend.

I found the perfect Valentines Day gift for Liz. She always buys a lot of spring flowers to plant - I got her a gift card at Lowes. Then I was sitting in the car and trying to remember which store had the best cards - which I hate to waste money on. They get read once, hang around for a week or so, and then are tossed.

Anyway I decided not to do a card this year - I went back into Lowes and found a single interesting flower and got that. $1.09 plus tax.

I brought everything home, stabbed the gift card into the flower's base and set it in the middle of the table. One of our darn cats tried to eat the flower so I dug around looking for a glass bowl to cover it and instead found a couple of baskets she had set back. One basket to hold the flower, and one inverted over the top.

When she got home it drew her like a magnet - I heard her on the phone telling her girl friends about it. Near as I can tell I was the only one in her circle of friends who did anything other than the standard card!

Even better - she felt guilty because she had not done anything for me!

Now that is a wining combination!!!!

Old 02-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Cool! Sounds like you hit on the perfect combination to win her heart all over again.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:42 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I did the candy thing.

And I'm still not gonna get lucky.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
I did the candy thing.

And I'm still not gonna get lucky.

The traditional thing - and the traditional response, plus you spent your own money!

You got to break the mold and do something different so they can brag to their girlfriends! Even better if you can spend household money on something that they would have bought anyway.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:54 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Man, I could leave 5 one hundred dollar bills inside a dozen roses, sitting on top of a 10lb chocolate heart, and I'd probably catch **** for making a mess

Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Ah, the joys of being single, and not having to worry about making "the boss" happy.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:30 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Jim..I had the same issues when single...never found the "You knew what I wanted" gift...

I hope your luck runs better

Old 02-15-2008, 10:17 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Man, I could leave 5 one hundred dollar bills inside a dozen roses, sitting on top of a 10lb chocolate heart, and I'd probably catch **** for making a mess
Give me the roses with the C notes, I will clean up any mess you make - and maybe even give you a kiss - tongue will be an extra cost option!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Clint, I love you like a brother, but not like kissing Cousins

Gotta stick to the occasional.."Aw honey, ya done good"...be it 4 or 5 years between...

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Yea, I hear you about the brother thing -----

My last bit of advice to the lovelorn - a woman wants attention the most of all. Just do something with her, spend some time talking (not about gear heads), take a walk - anything that makes her think you think she is special.

It works for the singles, but is even more important when you are married and have kids. Normally kids take up your time or hers and will soak up any and all attention they can get - it is the woman who is normally short changed in that department.

It means more to most of them then money or position. My first wife hated the time I spent with the dog (I was training him!), my second was jealous if I took her boys fishing - yet she wouldn't go herself. Don't even ask about my mother - us boys always felt the heat when we worked with my dad.

So if you want to get along, pay some attention to her. It works better than candy or money, or even vodka.

And yes, Jim, it works with singles too - unless you want to be alone in your old age!