2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

What would you change?

Old 02-13-2008, 10:13 PM
nebmike
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you change?

Now that I've had my EL for a few weeks, I know I've come across some things I would probably change if I were redesigning the truck. Just curious what you guys might change if you could?

Here's my list:

1. I would redesign the hood so the downward slope along the rear edge didnt reflect sunlight directly into the drivers eyes.
2. I would add a tranny temp gauge.
3. I would redesign the cargo area so you had a solid flat surface with both the second and third row seats folded (as it is, there is quite a gap between the two).
4. I would allow the driver to have complete control over where the rear air comes from (roof or floor).
5. I would have a shut-off switch for the auto darkening rear view mirror.
6. I would redesign the ignition area to make it easier to find with your key.
7. I would have a switch that would allow you to select where you wanted activate your heated or cooled seats (just the seat bottom, just the seat back or both). Having the lumbar area only be heated would be nice on really long drives.
8. I would redesign the center section of the second seat so it would fold up like the two outside ones.
9. Not sure what I would do with the four rear head rests but dang, with 'em all up you cant see out the back! I like them when I'm sitting in the back, but as a driver they sure are in the way.
10. I would put a lock on either the glove box, center console or both.
11. I woulda left a solid axle under the rear end!!!!!!!!
12. On the nav radio, I woulda flip-flopped the seek and tune buttons... I use the tune way more than the seek -- it'd be nice if it were the closer reach.
13. I would put sturdy metal tie-downs in the rear cargo area.
14. I would redesign the cargo divider so it would also work as a vertical divider that would separate the cargo area into forward and rear sections right where the back of the third seat is.
15. I would offer a METAL skid plate for the gas tank.

LOL I think thats about all I can think of right now.

Call me strange!

Last edited by nebmike; 02-13-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Add...

Inboard armrests for 2nd and 3rd row passengers.

Real limited slip/locker in the back

Drop the friggin price!!

Running boards make it so that your head hits the grab rail when getting in. Fix it somehow.

All that I don't even have mine yet!

Old 02-14-2008, 02:04 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by Monsta
Add...

Inboard armrests for 2nd and 3rd row passengers.

Real limited slip/locker in the back

Drop the friggin price!!

Running boards make it so that your head hits the grab rail when getting in. Fix it somehow.

All that I don't even have mine yet!
I would agree with all of those. The running boards are actually awkward on this truck in stock form. Its not really high enough to need them and if you use them they do put you in an odd position -- and if you dont you have a long way to step out to get around it. The retractables on the '08's are a good idea but they dont solve the problem. I'm pretty sure mine will be coming off soon.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 AM
mnmwhit
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't get why anyone would buy a truck that they have so many complaints about.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:04 AM
chuck s
Elder User
Solution for #2:

-- Chuck

Old 02-14-2008, 08:56 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
See Below for my thoughts on the new expedition.

Originally Posted by nebmike
Now that I've had my EL for a few weeks, I know I've come across some things I would probably change if I were redesigning the truck. Just curious what you guys might change if you could?

Here's my list:

1. I would redesign the hood so the downward slope along the rear edge didnt reflect sunlight directly into the drivers eyes.
Never Noticed this but my truck is white.
2. I would add a tranny temp gauge.
I agree, however, I don't see it happening, a digital readout would be nice near where the odo and door ajar display is.
3. I would redesign the cargo area so you had a solid flat surface with both the second and third row seats folded (as it is, there is quite a gap between the two).
I have 2 row buckets, it would be nice to have inserts so that it was smooth all the way down, it's a pain sliding then moving then sliding.
4. I would allow the driver to have complete control over where the rear air comes from (roof or floor).
Never noticed this.
5. I would have a shut-off switch for the auto darkening rear view mirror.
I have 5% window tint all the way around (aversion to sunlight)
6. I would redesign the ignition area to make it easier to find with your key.
Personal Preference.
7. I would have a switch that would allow you to select where you wanted activate your heated or cooled seats (just the seat bottom, just the seat back or both). Having the lumbar area only be heated would be nice on really long drives.
No heated and cooled seats so who knows.
8. I would redesign the center section of the second seat so it would fold up like the two outside ones.
Center Row is buckets.
9. Not sure what I would do with the four rear head rests but dang, with 'em all up you cant see out the back! I like them when I'm sitting in the back, but as a driver they sure are in the way.
Don't use my rearview, only side mirrors.
10. I would put a lock on either the glove box, center console or both.
Doesn't matter to me, I lived in DC and Baltimore, locks only stop honist people.
11. I woulda left a solid axle under the rear end!!!!!!!!
Why? It rides much smoother then my Excusion did, I've got about 12K miles on it now and have no problems, I've towing 8 to 10K lbs with no problems, smooth and stable.
12. On the nav radio, I woulda flip-flopped the seek and tune buttons... I use the tune way more than the seek -- it'd be nice if it were the closer reach.
No nav radio. 1500 bucks buys a nice laptop and GPS.
13. I would put sturdy metal tie-downs in the rear cargo area.
I agree.
14. I would redesign the cargo divider so it would also work as a vertical divider that would separate the cargo area into forward and rear sections right where the back of the third seat is.
I agree.
15. I would offer a METAL skid plate for the gas tank. .
Never had a problem w/ a poly tank but I guess I see your point.

16. Add Trailer Towing Package. Mirrors, Extra duty rear diff cooler, Brake Controler, Trans Temp Guage.

17. Add a bit of weight so that it makes a more excusion like tow vehicle.

18. Turbo Diesel V-8 w/ some guts.

LOL I think thats about all I can think of right now.

Call me strange!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:42 AM
carbonmetallic
Senior User
i agree with everything above but would add a few things.

Tweak the tranmission and test it thouroughly before you start selling the new trucks and have a fix for it so the customer doesnt have to go back 5 times for the same thing.

center console would be nice if it locked...to secure gps and other items when not in the truck.

actually use high quality leather on front row (so it doesnt wear out so fast) and actually use leather on the second row and third row seats instead of vinyl (either that or tell the salespeople the correct info).

Second Row Seat needs better cup holders, not cup holders that sit right behind the front passengers elbows waiting to get hit.

BRING BACK THE TRANSMISSION DIPSTICK so we can check it ourselves (what brilliant engineer removed this anyways??? Wonder why the F series trucks still get them????? maybe cause you can tell if your tranmission fluid needs a changing.)

Get rid of the green lighting on the interior......upgrade to something better ....lots of newer technology that looks and works alot better. This would also improve the vision of the dash during direct sunlight.

Second row middle folding seat needs to fold like the other two. Chevy, GMC, Toyota and all the others can do it, so should ford.

Come standard with the option of decent All Terrain Tires...maybe make it standard on Eddie Bauer and King Ranch Series.

Lower the roof rack a little, stands up too high, could still be just as functional without being so bulky looking.

Sturdy metal hooks to secure cargo in the rear. all the expeditions and explorers used to have them.....quit trying to save a few bucks by removing things people actually use.

for me the running boards work well. I added the leveling kit to mine, and it raised the truck a good 2-3" from stock level, so it can make it easier for shorter people to get in the truck.

Last edited by carbonmetallic; 02-14-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:21 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great ideas. Here are a few of mine.

1)Use a high qaulity paint for the interior. Current silver paint scratches WAY too easy.

2)Change 1980's green LCD readout to anything different. Chevy uses blue with better resolution.

3)Thicken up or redesign the running boards. When driving through rain, the front tires kick up water and it sounds bad.

4)Put softer material on the doors and armrest.

5)Add speakers to third row section. They can't hear anything but bass.

6)Make the back of the center second row seat double as an armrest/cupholder.

That's all I can think of for now.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Third row could use their own map lights, too.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
chevy24d
Freshman User
Wow - do you guys work for gm? If I bought a truck with this many things I did not like, I would be very upset with myself for not taking it for a ride first.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:16 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by mnmwhit
I don't get why anyone would buy a truck that they have so many complaints about.
First off, most of these things are things you dont notice until you drive a vehicle a few hundred (or thousand) miles.

Second off, havent you ever owned a vehicle that found a few things you'd like to change if you could?

I love my EL... but with a little extra thought they coulda eliminated a lot of little things that become annoying after a while.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:37 AM
IQ9
Senior User
I must agree. I have yet to buy a car that has everything you could want or does everything perfectly. It would be nice for FORD to watch these boards and LISTEN to what owners are saying to each other.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 AM
montecarlo31
Elder User
This thread has been forwarded to my Managment Contact at ford. As a large fleet buyer we meet with ford 4 times a year over problems and complaints. We also keep in touch on a weekly basis. To give an example, we run over 200 F-550s in the state of FL alone. This does not include 1/2 tons and SUVs, where are probably another 100. The we have heavy trucks (class 5+).

Originally Posted by IQ9
I must agree. I have yet to buy a car that has everything you could want or does everything perfectly. It would be nice for FORD to watch these boards and LISTEN to what owners are saying to each other.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chevy24d
Wow - do you guys work for gm? If I bought a truck with this many things I did not like, I would be very upset with myself for not taking it for a ride first.
Who doesn't criticize something they spend so much money and time on/in? Doesn't mean we don't like the product, just have some things we would like to see changed/improved. You survey 100 owners, if a few items pop up on a high number of them, it's worth it to consider revisions. Consider it R&D via the owners. Best input you can get.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
IQ9
Senior User
You always find things that could be better in any vehicle. I am really glad to hear that someone has Fords ear. Thanks montecarlo31 for sending our thoughts!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you change?