Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

running boards

Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
DyceDesign
Senior User
DyceDesign is starting off with a positive reputation.
pretty good idea Bob. I may rethink the way I was gonna make mine...

Old 02-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Oz52F1
Senior User
Oz52F1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would like to enter exhibit A for the Jury, your Honor.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:10 AM
cool 48
Senior User
cool 48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Those look ok, if you like the stained wood effect. I am going to coat mine in herculiner. They will be a little more textured looking ,and they will be black.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:43 PM
DyceDesign
Senior User
another alternatiive if you are goin for the custom look...slam it down and run sidepipes instead of running boards...I have seen this done on various trucks and it looks pretty good..

Old 02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
cool 48
Senior User
Well, I am done with the running boards. I will have them m,onted on the truck in abotu an hour and a half. I am waiting for the herculiner to set. They actually turned out very cool. If I were to walk up on these ,I wouldn't ever think they were wood. They are jet black with kind of a grainy look to them. But , they look like smooth steel running boards. $68 worth of supplies ,and a days work, and they are complete. I used pieces of the old running boards. The piece that turns up toward the bed and cab I used. I had to beat the curved portion straight. I will have some photos of it this evening in my gallery.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:33 PM
DyceDesign
Senior User
The runningboard looks great...I like the idea of coating it to hide any grain...can't wait to see it with the Herculiner on it....really turning out nice

Old 02-17-2008, 10:55 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Well guys, I was trying to add descriptions of my work ,and the site keeps dumping me. So, I gave up. But you can pretty much see in the photos how I did them. The boards have one coat of herculiner on them ,so they are still a little rough, but I kind of wanted them a little rougher looking. Again, I wouldn't reccomend doing this if you want to restore a truck to original. But , if you want something a little different,and something that is not expensive to build, here you go. Also, you can take pride in knowing that you did it by yourself,and didn't run down to the custom shop and buy new ones.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
Boy! When you decide to do something you don't waste any time.

I always get caught up in the planning and hand wringing stage for a few weeks before I can actually get down to actual work.....lol

the boards came outlooking good
Bobby

Old 02-19-2008, 09:46 AM
bobj49f2
Post Fiend
bobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant futurebobj49f2 has a brilliant future
Bobby, I think you also use up a lot of time inserting frosty beverage stages before, during and after those three stages

Old 02-19-2008, 10:08 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.bobbytnm has a spectacular reputation.
LOL...the frosty beverages are an integral part of the preplanning handwringing and pacing around the garage worrying stage

Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Hey guys, thanks . I got up Saturday morning, and decided I would work on them. They were done and coated with bedliner in time for me to take it to the local VFW for some frosty beverages myself. I put the second coat on on Sunday. I have since hit the boards with some 80 frit sand paper to smooth out some of the bumps that you get with that Herculiner/ I did want it a little smoother. But no matter how much I mixed it still came out a little rougher than I wanted. They look great now.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 AM
DyceDesign
Senior User
Hey Cool48....now you can tint herculiner right??? Those look really great!! Can't even tell they are wood...Your method and ideas are alot easier and simpler that the idea I had and same great results!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
cool 48
Senior User
Thanks Dyce. And I got to tell ya, my only electric tools were a cicular saw, and a 4 1/2" grinder with cutoff wheels.The notch on the bottom of the running boards were done the Omish way. Two cuts with the circular saw and a good ol fashioned wood chisel. I wasn't gonna spend $140 on a router that I would use maybe once every two years. I would rather spend that on my truck. I ordered 4 new 1.3 wide white wall 15" tires the other day for it. And my wheels will be in my shop tommorrow along with the tires. I sold the tires and rims that were on it on feebay Sunday. I am mounting the tires myself, then will drive the truck down the road to have them balance them. I have seen those guys on the tire machine,and I don't want to take any chances messing up my new red powder coated wheels. Should have some photos by tommorrow evening. I am working on what little body work that need sot be done. Mostly just sanding off paint that bubbled. Then she is getting a new black paint job. hehehehe

Old 02-19-2008, 12:15 PM
DyceDesign
Senior User
wow you're really movin along on it!!! keep the pics commin!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
cool 48
Senior User
Yes, I am . I am putting 15" wheels and tires on it. I think the 14's make it look like a roller skate. Wasn't diggin that look at all. The white walls will be just wide enough to provide a good contrast from the red wheels. The center caps will stay chrome. I ordered 6 camel hair brushes,and some one shot paint, and will try my hand at some red and blue pinstriping just around the door handles,and a little right at the front of the hood. I think I'm gonna get a new front bumper. The one on it is a little beat up, but I don't want to go "neck ed" on the front. I want something to take the hit first , in case some soccer mom gets a little wild. I think I'm gonna close off the back end with some sheet metal. I have an idea of what I want, and have seen some you can buy. But, all the years of fabricating for bikes, I think I can make one a little nicer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: running boards

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.