Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

running boards

Old 02-13-2008, 09:48 AM
cool 48
Senior User
cool 48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
running boards

Hey folks, I have a 48 ford f1. Where is a good place to buy aftermarket glass running boards?? Thanks,

Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM
kdmcinnes
Elder User
kdmcinnes is starting off with a positive reputation.
There is a place out of Ohio (Cant think of their name), or Sacramento Vintage ford http://www.vintage-ford.com/

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_sear...w=41&PageNum=3

Kyle

Last edited by kdmcinnes; 02-13-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
9teen56f100
Posting Guru
9teen56f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.9teen56f100 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Fairlane has glass running boards for f-1's. I think they are in Michigan.

http://fairlanecompanymi.com/ShoppingCart/RCatalog.asp

brian...

Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
Bebops Fiberglass lists them on their site for $275/pr.
http://www.bebops-glassworks.com/fordbodyparts.html

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
frankcowan is starting off with a positive reputation.
check out

Hot Rod's Classic Truck Parts from New Carlisle Ohio 1.800.236.0046. www.hotrodstrucks.com

also

Flashback F100s, 2519 Wagon Wheel Rd, Reidsville, NC 27320, PH: 336-421-3979

I Have seen both at car shows and purchased from flashback F-100

Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Cool48, I believe you are in CA? Sac Vintage sellls the Fairlane boards.

You should put your location in your profile so it shows in the upper right corner of your posts. Randy Jack can tell you more, seearch on his posts.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:17 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Hey , thank on the profile thing. I will check these guys out. The knucklhead PO evidently though it would look very cool to pull the crusty running boards from this truck ,go down and buy some of that crappy looking textured vinyl s#%@,a quart of floor adhesive , then get real drunk and have at fixing the running boards on this truck. They really weren't so bad that they couldn't have been repaired. They had a few small holes in them. I have fixed some spots in the past on other stuff using a coathanger and flux to repair small holes. But ,I have never just covered the rusty metal up using cheap vinyl, and floor adhesive. Now, I don't think there is any way to get them back to usable condition.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:05 AM
xfordman
Elder User
xfordman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you tried a heat gun or maybe a propane torch? Maybe if you heat that stuff up it would scrape off, then sand blast....Rod

Old 02-14-2008, 06:55 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Actually ,I think I can pound on the surface to get the body filler they used off of it. Then I will set them outside in the freezing cold and wire brush the other crap off of them. Then send them to the blaster. I had even thought about making some running boards out of hardwood. I know what you are thinking ... they would look kind of cheesy ,for lack of better words. But , I thought about using oak ,and using my existing running boards for a jig. Then using sheet metal for the piece that goes from the board to the truck bed and cab. Anyone ever do this? Is this considered to be how you guys say, on the darkside? Way on the dark side? hehe I can picture these things with smooth rounded edges ,and the same shape as the originals. Then taking a router and cutting an area for a polished aluminum step plate. It would probably eat up a whole weekend,but what do you folks think about that? Ok, I 'm bracing for the barage of comments on that. Let em fly fellas!!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:08 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
My PO thought it would be a great idea to slather roofing tar all over the running boards after putting bondo about an inch thick over the holes. It took a couple of gallons of gasoline and hours of scraping to get the tar off.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:18 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
LEckart is starting off with a positive reputation.
Re the "wood" running boards, my momma always told me to keep my mouth shut if I couldn't say anything nice. So my mouth is shut. It's your truck so do what winds your clock.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Ok, leckart ,I get the idea. And it was one of those can't get to sleep at night thoughts. I have gotten past it ,and am looking at either redoing mine or getting new ones. For some strange reason, I feel the need to reod mine,.If only to say , hey this is what they looked like before. haha. Anyway, I am going towork on them this weekend.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
frankcowan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did some one say wood...

This is not mine. Was at a local car show.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:56 AM
DyceDesign
Senior User
DyceDesign is starting off with a positive reputation.
if your handy with a welder...here is a great how to article that takes it step by step building your own running board....

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...rds/index.html

Old 02-15-2008, 08:16 AM
cool 48
Senior User
Well, I guess you could say I am handy with a welder. Being a concrete contractor for 26 years ,and ownign a sand and gravel operation along with it, I have had to weld some pretty scary looking stuff in my time . The only problem is that they show using sheet metal stretchers, and shrinkers, and it looks like you need to go buy around $2500 worth of tools to even start.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: running boards

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.