Sponsored by:

K & N Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM
proudfrog
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
K & N Air Filters

Looking for some feed back on these filters. Bought my X one year ago last week. I love this car!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by proudfrog
Looking for some feed back on these filters. Bought my X one year ago last week. I love this car!!!
Ull wont be able to tell the diff in performance because it is a 8k truck. Also i wouldnt get one because K&N lets more dirt in then the OEM filter. Hence the increase of unoticable HP. To me, this mod aint worth it. Id rather have my engine last longer.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM
afreemanmd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a K&N filter in my X since it was new. 120000 MI no problems. I like it because I only have to clean it once every few years lol.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:41 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by afreemanmd
I've had a K&N filter in my X since it was new. 120000 MI no problems. I like it because I only have to clean it once every few years lol.
U may not have to clean it for a few years, but u have to think about how much dirt that is letting in.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:42 PM
njstevens
Elder User
Myself and Ieat have discussed this in the past. he is right about the air flow amount. The k&n does allow more particels to penetrate the filter itself. Some would suggest on the turbo diesel it can mess with the turbo. I have had my airraid system in a long time ( similiar to K&N) and can say I do not or have not had any issues. The amount that are shwon through testing are so insignificant you will most likely never even notice nor will it cause harm, unless you live in an extremely constant dirt area. I would not be concerned. As for power Ieat hit the nail on the head you will not notice poewr but will hear a difference. The truck is to heavy to really notice that

Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Well to make it short the K&N air filter cost me a new engine $$$$$ it let to much dirt in and made groves in the cylinder wall and let presure by and so on and so forth. For the 7.3 the 6637 air filter is the way to go

Old 02-11-2008, 02:56 PM
njstevens
Elder User
Weekend you must be the frist I have heard that from. From what I have read almost all filters are the same as long as they are taken care of. Was your properly fitting. Everytime I clean my Airraid cone filter it is never dirty inside of the fliter at all. I find no dirt what so ever within the filter walls. Now I am not like some who will wait months on end to clean it. I have made it a practice to clean every oil change or if I am in the mood.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Originally Posted by njstevens
Weekend you must be the frist I have heard that from. From what I have read almost all filters are the same as long as they are taken care of. Was your properly fitting. Everytime I clean my Airraid cone filter it is never dirty inside of the fliter at all. I find no dirt what so ever within the filter walls. Now I am not like some who will wait months on end to clean it. I have made it a practice to clean every oil change or if I am in the mood.
This happend before I was truck savy so I realy dont know if it was sealed right or not. And I dont think my dad ever looked down the intake pipe to see if it was dirty or not

Old 02-11-2008, 03:00 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32
Well to make it short the K&N air filter cost me a new engine $$$$$ it let to much dirt in and made groves in the cylinder wall and let presure by and so on and so forth. For the 7.3 the 6637 air filter is the way to go
lil un, do u think u can mod up a 6637 to hook up to a v-10? I dont want to get rid of my air filter (OEM) because i like the way it filters. But if i could mod a 6637 to hook up to my v-10 id do it because i have heard very good things about that filter.

BTW, which truck did this happen to?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by proudfrog
BTW, u never told us what engine u had in ur truck? If u have the v-10 id keep it stock, but if u have the 7.3 id go with the 6637

Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Originally Posted by i eat hybrids
lil un, do u think u can mod up a 6637 to hook up to a v-10? I dont want to get rid of my air filter (OEM) because i like the way it filters. But if i could mod a 6637 to hook up to my v-10 id do it because i have heard very good things about that filter.

BTW, which truck did this happen to?
Its was the 01 with teh 7.3 I think the intake hose for the diesel is bigger then the gas is. When you get a chance measure how much room you have for your air filter and I will let you know

Old 02-11-2008, 03:07 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

BTW, u never told us what engine u had in ur truck? If u have the v-10 id keep it stock, but if u have the 7.3 id go with the 6637
He has a V 10

Old 02-11-2008, 03:10 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Its was the 01 with teh 7.3 I think the intake hose for the diesel is bigger then the gas is. When you get a chance measure how much room you have for your air filter and I will let you know
Ok, ill measure it when i get home this weekend. Even if it doesnt fit, ill rig it up. Ill be the first person on FTE with a 6637 modded v-10! BTW, when u put the 6637 on, could u really hear the turbo better? Also, how much is it at napa? BTW, im tryin to search on google for the specs of the 6637. And then ill post in he v-10 forum and see if someone knows the width of their intake tube

Old 02-11-2008, 03:11 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
He has a V 10
How it doesnt say it anywhere?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How it doesnt say it anywhere?
Yes it does. Click on his name and then click view public profile and just look for it, you'll find it.

Quick Reply: K & N Air Filters