N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Fun with hubs

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Breech
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fun with hubs

Had a fun day yesterday completely going through both the hubs on ol' blue. That's a part of the truck I haven't ever gone through before and I'll tell ya......I'm not in any hurry to do it again. I took her out muddin for the first time a few months back and got her stuck with the front wheels submersed in a mud water mix. I cleaned off the mud on the outside the best I could then I let it sit for over a month like a real smart fella The next time I took her out there was a lot of howling coming from the front and I knew that I'd done a part or two some harm. So my buddy and I pulled it all apart yesterday and brown water came pouring out. The old bearings and races were all destroyed on both sides. After several hours of tugging, pulling, cleaning, repacking, and replacing we finally got it smooth again but we we're working outside and it wasn't exactly toasty last night. After $150 or so more debt on the card, some numb fingers, and waking up with a non functioning nose I think I've successfully reminded myself why I don't do much muddin these days.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
That is one thing I will not have to worry too much about with my Ranger. Since I already know going in that it is under powered, I will avoid mud/water that submerges my wheels. Sounds like a PITA to clean.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:46 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'd have traded you jobs my friend...got a flat tire on the tractor last night while moving things around...I was trying to pull a flatbed trailer loaded with a few frames across a permanant levee when the tire went...so now the tractor drops down about 12-14 inches on one side and the trailer wedges into the levee...had a hell of a time gettng things loose and back on the road.

Had to bring the Peterbilt aruond to pull the trailer though, then spent the moring putting on my spare tires/wheels and fixing last night damage to the levee.

Guess we'll find out how good a job I did once the irrigation starts this Spring

Old 02-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Breech
Senior User
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
That is one thing I will not have to worry too much about with my Ranger. Since I already know going in that it is under powered, I will avoid mud/water that submerges my wheels. Sounds like a PITA to clean.
I hear ya, that's my last trip through the muck! I wasn't even gonna try it but my buddy (a chebbie guy) was eggin me on........ya know "you gotta big block this" and "that Ford can't do it" that. Well, like a moron I gave in and wound up stuck. The worst part is he had to pull me out with his Tahoe On the plus side, it took him and I an hour to do it so he couldn't gloat about it too much

Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Breech
Senior User
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
I'd have traded you jobs my friend...got a flat tire on the tractor last night while moving things around...I was trying to pull a flatbed trailer loaded with a few frames across a permanant levee when the tire went...so now the tractor drops down about 12-14 inches on one side and the trailer wedges into the levee...had a hell of a time gettng things loose and back on the road.

Had to bring the Peterbilt aruond to pull the trailer though, then spent the moring putting on my spare tires/wheels and fixing last night damage to the levee.

Guess we'll find out how good a job I did once the irrigation starts this Spring
Guess I don't have much room to complain after readin about your night. That's sounds like it was one big S.O.B. Mine wasn't near that bad but I gotta tell ya, I don't think those hubs have ever been gone through cuz everything was a PITA to remove and replace. Not to mention the generous amounts of clay that was wedged in there. Again though, your night seems a helluva lot worse than mine. Hopefully that levee holds up for ya.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:20 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Complaining is good...heck, our SO's don't listen to us, that's we gripe here

Old 02-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Breech
Senior User
Hahaha.........so true. I don't think mine would pee on me to put me out if I was on fire. Glad we can do a little venting on the forums here.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
Mike, seems like Murphy has been visiting you a bit too much lately, first with your cow jumping over the moon...er fence, and then your tractor tire going flat.