1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

custom bedcovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
going slow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom bedcovers?

has anyone made there bed covers? if so do u have and plans or (blueprints) ....and what materials... id kinda like to have a soft cover but hingable...somthing along those lines...

Old 02-02-2008, 05:45 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
I had posted on here about purchasing a Ford van and someone suggested using the roof panel to make a bed cover, looks like it would be doable.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a hard tonneau with a light on the inside of it. My gallery pretty much illustrates how I built it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=16003

Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
Great work there Randy, I really like the way that it makes it look lower and wider and as usual your gallery rocks.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
going slow
Senior User
yeah thats kinda what im thinking of...somthing like what randy did...i did somthing simular on an s10 the truck was white so i used white vinal and i also used alum. for the frame and sheeting just to keep it light...

Old 02-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Truxx1956
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Mine is alot like Randy's but mine leaks like a screen door on a submarine!! I'm goin to rework mine completely before this year's show in Pigeon Forge. I'm goin to weld up an aluminum frame and cover it, BUT this time I'm goin to make it go to the top of the bed, and hang over the edges. I'll have to make a "flap" hang down to cover from the bottom of the bedcover to the tailgate. They make fiberglass ones that do that, but they are very pricey!!

The 2 good things about doing it this way is it will SEAL!! and it will give me about 4" more bed depth more room for luggage and stuff on long trips.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
economan
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did one for my econoline, 1 inch square tubing with vinyl stretched over it and snaps down on the underside and hinged with set of tractor linch pins as hinges, it sits flush with the tops of the bedrails, it is far from watertight but seldom goes out in the rain.
there are no shocks, checks or stays, it simply folds up and rests on the rear drip rail of the roof.
when i wanna haul stuff just undo the snaps pull the pins and lift it off.
mikie
near ottawa canada
58 merc panel 64 econo p/u

Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 AM
rustfarmer
Junior User
I haven't got around to that point yet but I have some food for thought......I have been to an accident scene where a later model truck was involved. It had a aftermarket fiberglass bed cover. The truck was rear ended pretty hard. The impact drove the fiberglass bed cover thru the cab and killed the driver. I'm not trying to bum anyone out. But, something to consider when building our bed covers is what would happen if the truck was hit from the back.

rustfarmer

Old 02-04-2008, 06:55 PM
hiwy50
Junior User
Just slipped out and took picture of my home made bed cover. Its dark out but you can see I made it fit the inside of the bed. 3/4 in alum. frame, 4 ft. wide, with two cross pieces. Glued polished aircraft alum. on outside with 3/4 in foam between the skins. Used 7/8 in. I.D. channel adjusted so there is a 3/16 in. gap all around. Not too expensive, $178.00 for materials. Cost more to have it painted.

Guess I am not smart enough to add pictures.