Sponsored by: DP Tuner

10 min warm-up all the time

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
chiefn10
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 min warm-up all the time

i have been having problems lately with my 99' F350 similar to wake4040, except i live in san diego where it only gets down to the 40's sometimes. it starts ok, but i have to wait for it to warm up for at least 10 minutes before i can even put it in gear or it will bog down, sputter, and almost die. whether it sits for 6 hours or 2 days, it has the same symptoms. i am really tired of jumping in the truck and then having to wait for it to "warm-up". once it warms up it runs fine. i have already replaced the fuel filter. do you think the gp's are bad, and is there a way i can test them or take them to a shop and have them tested before i dump some $$$ into something that might not fix the problem? i am on a military budget, so i don't have alot of $$ to dump. thanks for any inputs!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's your oil level like and when was you last oil change?

Old 01-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Mike Norwood
Elder User

hey chief many thanks for your service. how many miles on your oil? anything much over 5k will cause the oil to be too thick to properly open your injectors. if it is down in the 40s consistently you might try switching to 5w40 for the winter months

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Norwood
hey chief many thanks for your service. how many miles on your oil? anything much over 5k will cause the oil to be too thick to properly open your injectors. if it is down in the 40s consistently you might try switching to 5w40 for the winter months
or run full synthetic

Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 PM
BigBlueIron
Junior User
let me ask a few dumb ?. When you do try to drive it without the 10min warm up. Is there low power? when you push the pedal down all you get is more engine noise but no more power, Is it hard to get over 50mph does the engine seem to warm faster? I'm quessing you don't have after market gauges?

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
chiefn10
Senior User
i am actually doing an oil change this weekend. thanks for any input as to this problem. it only gets down to the upper 40's on some nights, but up to the 70's during the day. time of day really hasn't changed the symptoms

Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you could have a ICP or IPR problem. Change your oil and see if problem presist. If it does, find someone to check and see if you have any codes stored..

Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
chiefn10
Senior User
Originally Posted by BigBlueIron
let me ask a few dumb ?. When you do try to drive it without the 10min warm up. Is there low power? when you push the pedal down all you get is more engine noise but no more power, Is it hard to get over 50mph does the engine seem to warm faster? I'm quessing you don't have after market gauges?
yes to all of the above, and no, i don't have aftermarket guages

Old 01-29-2008, 09:35 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine does the same thing. Runs horrible for 10-12 minutes each morning then suddenly 'kicks-in'. Mine is definitely NOT the EBPV which I can easily hear when it is working (and stops working upon pushing brake to put into gear). My problem started after having 4 new injectors put in. I have yet to find the issue but it is driving me nuts. Hopefully you and I can both find out problems.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
BigBlueIron
Junior User
sound to me (which my opinion isint much) but it is your Exhaust back pressure valve (sure others will disagree). My truck does the same thing but not all the time, but when it does I usally slip in neutral shut it off and restart with a quick stab of the pedal usally brings it out, some time takes a few times. Just to clarify yes my truck will also idle back to normal after hittin the brake or gas BUT the ebpv does not allways fully disengauge(spelling?)

To aocabrown i would say you have the same problem cuz just like you say it will suddenly "kick in" And it can be hard to tell that the ebpv is engaged when you are driving the truck. Everyone knows when it is engaged when parked cuz it sounds cool as sh_t (expecially with 5")!!

Engine will seem to run as suposed to until about 1500 to 1800 rpm when there is no power do to epbv being engaged.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:12 PM
aocabrown
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks BigBlue. I agree somewhat. I have heard my EBPV on really cold mornings if I'm easing along at about 30 mph (hissing) PUshing the go pedal makes it go away. My problem however is that I can barely reach 30-40 mph and 1800 RPM sounds like all of the pistons might shoot through the hood until after about 10 minutes (and some bravery) I can hit the gas....reach about 2000 RPM and suddenly it is like whoa...there are all 8 cylinders firing now. Been happening since receiving new injectors. Not sure what the issue is yet but don't think it is computer or wiring related due to how it acts and then fixes itself after 10 minutes. Oil is also 5w-40 syn and fresh. If I ever find the issue I will post here for all to see since many have tried to help. THANKS again.