1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 F350 help me on it

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
mornin-it-up
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 F350 help me on it

hello, im a newbie here,
and to trucks i im still in HS and im lookin for a project, i found a ford F-350 with a 351W, straight 6.
its 500 bucks but the scrap yard will give 400 for it,
so i think if i can get it for 400 im good, my uncle just redid a internatonal.
anyway, how much work is this i have a guy that can help me paint and stuff. i wanna know the orignal coloring of these trucks, it looks like it has alot of surface rust, the history on the truck is that its a '56 f-350 truck-
orignal keys-title-CLEAR TITLE-- flat 6 motor 4 spd-
6 volt- truck was running & drivng when parked 1 1/2 yrs ago--
i bought it off a old man who got it from NSP in 1967--he has ran it since

it has a flat bed, and it looks pretty good,

i wannt know if any one has any know how of the orginal colors , how are they worth once they are restored?

thanks
i dont know how to post pics

Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome,and a 1956 ford F350 is a big ole truck. I do believe they were the 1st year of 12 volt. It most likely came stock as a 6 cylinder. They are not worth so much,but can be a lot of fun to tool around in. No power steering will be a real pain. Make sure it is fairly complete and runs good---and you can do alot with it. Cab will interchange with a f100. Good luck----I have a whole fleet of 56s and 1 1971 and trucks are cool!!! Bill

Old 01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
mornin-it-up
Freshman User
i'll pm you the link with the pic's

Old 01-26-2008, 07:40 PM
mornin-it-up
Freshman User
nvm i need some more post it will be a bit.

Old 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mornin-it-up
hello, im a newbie here,
and to trucks i im still in HS and im lookin for a project, i found a ford F-350 with a 351W, straight 6.
its 500 bucks but the scrap yard will give 400 for it,
so i think if i can get it for 400 im good, my uncle just redid a internatonal.
anyway, how much work is this i have a guy that can help me paint and stuff. i wanna know the orignal coloring of these trucks, it looks like it has alot of surface rust, the history on the truck is that its a '56 f-350 truck-
orignal keys-title-CLEAR TITLE-- flat 6 motor 4 spd-
6 volt- truck was running & drivng when parked 1 1/2 yrs ago--
i bought it off a old man who got it from NSP in 1967--he has ran it since. it has a flat bed, and it looks pretty good, i wannt know if any one has any know how of the orginal colors , how are they worth once they are restored?

thanks
i dont know how to post pics
I have read and re-read your post a number of times and am still confused....as I expect you are also.

1. 351W is a V8, not a 6, and not a flat 6. All 56's were 12 volt. I expect you have the year of the truck wrong. If it has a wrap-around windshield and vertical window posts, it is a 56. If it has a curved windshield with slanted door window posts, it is a 53-55 "slant cab" and could then be a 6 volt. It will be a lot easier to help you if you get a little clearer on what you have.

2. "Ran when parked" is a comic phrase to most of us on here. You won't know anything about it until you try to start it, and there is a lot of prep work to do before you try that just in case the motor is salvageable. To most of us, that phrase usually means that the motor is now good as a boat anchor.

3. As to "how much work is this?": It depends entirely on (1) the condition of the truck and (2) what you want it to be when you are done. I bought mine as a driver and drove it for 1-1/2 years before tearing into it for the last 2 years. Some guys on here have been working on their trucks for decades.

4. The buy price is right for just the sheet metal, so whatever it is, if you just parted it out, you should get that much money for it.

5. I wouldn't worry about colors yet. Think primer.

6. Any of these trucks is only worth what someone will pay for it, period. However, to give you a rough idea, that truck, unpainted, running as a dependable daily driver (in So Cal), you could expect to get $1500-$3500 for it. The F100 is a much more desirable truck, but the big old F350's have their charm.

7. If you are already thinking about what it is worth, you may be barking up the wrong tree for a new hobby. NOBODY makes money building these old trucks, unless the are getting paid by the hour to plow through somebody else's iron.

I don't mean to discourage you. Believe me when I say that building my truck has been the most rewarding thing I have ever done. It's just not for everybody. It is also very common for folks to tear into one of these projects with great enthusiasm (and no money), only to sell it later as an unfinished project.

You have, however, come to the best place on the net for good info, encouragement and advice.

Welcome,

Old 01-26-2008, 07:53 PM
mornin-it-up
Freshman User
ok i know that once i go to sell i im gonna come out even or in the hole most likely, im 16 and i've been on the seat of my dads dump truck or the seat of our tractors on the farm i wanna do auto work when im older and i found a truck that is about 400 bucks, he hasnt said the true price on it yet. heres the link http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/552161577.html tell me what you think. im not gonna be takin 40 years to do this truck, i just wanna get the cab all cleaned up and replace the bad things on it, i've also grew up on atv's and my buddys race then i think out of all my friends that are 16 i know 5 times as much as they know and i could have a atv stripped down to the bare frame and put back to gether before they ever could.
im really startin to like to learn on car and trucks and atv's are cona be just as much to me but at least i know that after i put the money in to this im gonna get more than what i would for my atv.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 PM
9teen56f100
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Defiantly a 1956.
brian...

Old 01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts

There is one very important item to check out on this truck before you even think about buying it. Check the wheels. I have a feeling this truck may have the "Widow Maker" wheels. If it does walk away from this truck, very quickly. If you're going to look at this truck again look on the concave side of the wheels, the side facing the inside of the truck, if there is what looks like a steel band running inside they are "Widow Makers". If you don't have experience working on trucks you don't want to start on a truck with this type of wheel. It can get very expensive trying to find replacement wheels.

This trucks looks to be a '56 so it wouldn't have a flat six as it's stock engine. If it does have a flat six check to make sure it's not stuck. It doesn't take long for a flat six to lock up. If it's locked up a flat six is a very expensive engine to rebuild, more expensive than a flat eight, which is very expensive. The flat six is not as popular as the eight so not many places carry parts for it.

Good luck,

Fellow Wisconsinite,

Bob

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Bessie
More Turbo
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
It sounds like your heart is in the right palce and you've got a good idea here. However, I'm thinking that you should save up a little more money and find a running F100 instead. If you look real hard and wait, you should be able to find one for about $1000 or so (depending on where you live).

These big old trucks can be a real pain - I know, I've had a 56 F350 flatbed for the past five years. I also have a F100 that I purchased for $800 when I was 14. It was a good runner at the time and served me well all through my high school days.

Pass on this one and look for one that's going to be a little easier to deal with!

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
mornin-it-up
Freshman User
yeah im passin this on but im still lookin for something to do as a project, sadly to you ford guys in gonna be buyin my brothers 85 chevy scottsdale with a lift in it and redoing the body becasue of rust, but im gettin this one becasue it needs very little body work and its not the whole truck,
after i do this on im lookin at a 79 ford F250 to make a mudder or a powerstroke diesel in the 95 to 97 or the 01 to 03. i also was thing about buyin a diesel and puttin it in my scottsdale im gettin form my brother,

hey how are the MTX or MXT speakers?
thanks on the relpys