General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Personal Medical Story, the lighter side

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:19 PM
Gorilla1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal Medical Story, the lighter side

Wanted to share a recent visit to the docs with y'all for two reasons. One, it has a couple humorous points to it, and B, it may just encourage some of you guys. You'll see what I mean in a sec or two.

Mom had colon cancer some years back which inevitibly put me and me siblings at a higher risk for picking it up. After a number of years, and for me pretty much a direct order from the Doc at my last checkup, we all finally got checked out. Bear in mind, the thought of the procedure was not a pleasant one for me but the surgeon who performed it assured me the worst part would be the prep. I still didn't beleive him, but I wasn't going to back out because to be honest I was a bit worried that Ma may have left me with a little somethin when she left. Me being her favorite and all.

Anywho, the prep wasn't near as bad as I thort it would be. A day of fasting, followed by a half dozen trips to the throne room then on to the clinic the follerin day. That's when the real fun began. Dressed in the finest hospital garments, and set up with an IV. First one didn't work so well. I think the nurse blew my vein or flattened it or something. Try #2 was succesful. As I waited I could see across the way to the recovery side. Those people looked like garbage! I thought "great, this is really going to suck". Finally made it to the OR where they put some sleepy meds in the IV and hooked me up to oxygen. Oh, and forgot to mention, the nurses were realllllly cute. Last thing I remember was wondering if the oxygen that was going up in my nose was 100%.

Next thing I remember was hearing someone bustin butt (read passing gas) then all of a sudden realizing it was me! And realizing I was in that same recovery area that I could see from the prep side and knowing how I woke myself up, I would guess others knew I was waking up too. I don't know how I got my clothes on, but I remember vaguely seeing a nurse in there telling me to call my son to have him come pick me up.

So a little humor for today, and maybe some encouragement for anyone that needs to go have "that check" done. It's not bad, don't feel a thing, and if you're lucky, the nurses will be as cute as the ones I had!

Rich

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
As the lights were going dim when I had my shoulder surgery, a few years back. I started singing...FIRE the Elmer Fudd adaptation no less. When my wife put her hand over my mouth...telling me to hush. I told her "Thankya, thankya very muuuuch"

The nurses enjoyed it immensely....or so I've been told.