400 in 1972 F100

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:38 AM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, you should degree the cam. From what I can tell it has a dynamic CR of 6.2:1 with the cam 'straight up', and about 6.0:1 with it 4 degrees retarded. That is extremely low, and the power will not be good. I found a Crane cam, that is similar, but I need a better spec to analyze correctly. The Lobe Center Angle and the Intake Center Angle is important.

You can look at the timing set to see if it has three keyways. One keyway will line up with a tooth, the others will be offset from a tooth to one side or the other. Straight up timing will be the keyway that lines up with a tooth.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by danlee
Yes, you should degree the cam. From what I can tell it has a dynamic CR of 6.2:1 with the cam 'straight up', and about 6.0:1 with it 4 degrees retarded. That is extremely low, and the power will not be good. I found a Crane cam, that is similar, but I need a better spec to analyze correctly. The Lobe Center Angle and the Intake Center Angle is important.

You can look at the timing set to see if it has three keyways. One keyway will line up with a tooth, the others will be offset from a tooth to one side or the other. Straight up timing will be the keyway that lines up with a tooth.
Thanks! I don't even know what dynamic compression ratio is, but I'll trust you on that one. So, lets say I bought the motor, left it all the same, but found a set of 351C aussie closed chamber heads that bring the cr up to 9.5:1. Then what kind of shape would I be in?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
danlee
Postmaster
With Aussie or aftermarket aluminum heads, it will be much better, but without a good cam spec, I can't say for sure. You could wind up with too much dynamic compression.

Before you change heads, you should also check the pistons to see if they are dished and what the piston to deck clearance is when the piston is at top dead center.

I wonder if there is a way to measure the combustion space through the spark plug hole. I have never heard of that being done, but it might be possible with the right fluid.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:54 PM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by danlee
With Aussie or aftermarket aluminum heads, it will be much better, but without a good cam spec, I can't say for sure. You could wind up with too much dynamic compression.

Before you change heads, you should also check the pistons to see if they are dished and what the piston to deck clearance is when the piston is at top dead center.

I wonder if there is a way to measure the combustion space through the spark plug hole. I have never heard of that being done, but it might be possible with the right fluid.
They are dished. I know this because the 400 was always dished since 1972, and nobody makes aftermarket pistons for them, plus he said it's all stock as far as pistons and rods and such go. The original heads are either 74 or 76cc, which is why it has a stock cr of 8.0:1. I don't know about the piston to deck clearance, but I do know that 351c heads are a direct bolt on to a 400. I made an inquiry to an aussie head expert and he says it would be 9.5:1 compression.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhhh, but someone DOES make aftermarket pistons for them... A member from this site has what you need. www.tmeyerinc.com
I wouldn't go anywhere else for 351m and 400 parts.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by trinogt
Ahhhh, but someone DOES make aftermarket pistons for them... A member from this site has what you need. www.tmeyerinc.com
+1

Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 PM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
OK, I was wrong, someone does make aftermarket pistons for the 400.

$1400 FOR THE SET!!! I can buy a nice set of heads that are much better than the stockers and flow much better for the same price.

That being said, it doesn't really matter anymore because I just cut a sweet deal on a 1972 460 w/70k miles and a C6! Let the build begin!!!

Thanks for all the helpful info fellas. Hopefully this will help some other people with 351M/400 questions.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Actually flattop pistons have been available for the 400 for quite a while. Badger makes them, and I have a set of Ohio flattops for a 400. I know Ohio is out of business, but I think Badger is still around.

So a rebuilt 400 motor could have flattop pistons.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
I just looked on Tim's site and it certainly isn't $1400. Not even half that.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
I think you multiplied a set of 8 pistons by ...8? Not sure, as it is kinda hard to tell the way the pricing is set up there... call Tim anyway and see what the deal is.

Also, 400 fans have an advantage that the 351M fans don't... Every 351 Cleveland piston will fit in a 400, with all the different shapes and sizes/compression ratios associated with the popular Cleveland. All you need is to have bushings pressed into your rods to fit the slightly smaller Cleveland pin. PRESTO!

By the way, I hope you didn't pay much for your 460. If the heads are D2VE heads, they are open chamber, low compression heads that are not much good for anything if you want to make real power without detonation.
Almost any other year would have been better, even newer (D3-up).
So, that means shelling out some money for new heads right there... Maybe the 400 is a better deal after all?

Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 AM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by havi
I just looked on Tim's site and it certainly isn't $1400. Not even half that.
Yeah, thats my bad. I guess when I saw the price for the flat tops of $175 I immediately thought that they were so cheap it must be $175 each, x8 = $1400. That's not bad at all.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:33 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take a close look at that 72 460 and get the head casting number if it's D2VE then the first order of business will be to find a set of heads to replace them with as trinogt stated.
just look for a set of D3VE heads for cheapest replacement and most plentiful (where used from 73 clear until the switch to FI in 87) and will be a slight bump in compression. Also that will have the retarded timing chain so a switch to a double roller timing chain set straight up will gain you some power too.

Old 01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
By the way, I hope you didn't pay much for your 460. If the heads are D2VE heads, they are open chamber, low compression heads that are not much good for anything if you want to make real power without detonation.
Almost any other year would have been better, even newer (D3-up).
So, that means shelling out some money for new heads right there... Maybe the 400 is a better deal after all?
Well, the guy is selling me the 460 and C6 for $250. I did just find out a little while ago that the 72 heads were bad, so as you say, the 400 may be a better deal. I'm not going to get the 460 until tomorrow; I could still cancel. I didn't realize I could get the flat tops for the 400 so inexpensively, and I was thinking the only way to get the cr up was going to be some pricey heads. I can probably get the 400 (with a C6) for around $400-$500 dollars. The guy spent more than that on the aftermarket parts he put in it, but he's hurting for money.

Or, I could just freshen up the 460 and find some different heads for it. The thing is, the 400 was in use and ran great when the guy pulled it to beef it up. He just never put it in anything. The 460 was also supposedly in use and running great, but it's been 4-5 years since then, and the guy is just trusting what the previous owner told him. Now I don't know what I'm gonna do!!! What a pain...

Old 01-26-2008, 12:38 AM
fomocoguy3
Freshman User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
Take a close look at that 72 460 and get the head casting number if it's D2VE then the first order of business will be to find a set of heads to replace them with as trinogt stated.
just look for a set of D3VE heads for cheapest replacement and most plentiful (where used from 73 clear until the switch to FI in 87) and will be a slight bump in compression. Also that will have the retarded timing chain so a switch to a double roller timing chain set straight up will gain you some power too.
So the newer heads will actually bring the cr up? According to my vintage chiltons book it was already 8.5:1 in 72, and I could find some newer heads pretty easily. I really like the idea of puttin a 460 in my truck; if I have to find a set of heads that's not the end of the world. For the price, I can always re-sell it if I change my mind later.

I think it's a gamble with either motor; I may as well gamble with the 460!

Last edited by fomocoguy3; 01-26-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:15 PM
trinogt
Cargo Master
The 460 has been put into many 67-72 Ford trucks, so you should find some good info. Might want to look at L&L's website for mounts, headers, and such. It's the 400 that is rare to find in these trucks, because not only is it a piece of slightly newer technology, it is relatively new today as a performance engine. Back in the days it was produced, the 400 was only a compromise for emissions standards and power, just built to be a solid runner and not a super power house. But the ingredients are there for a stump puller, since the 400 has the longest stroke of any Ford engine built.
The 460 will be a good deal at that price with trans, especially if it all runs good.

Quick Reply: 400 in 1972 F100