Engine Stand for 460

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 08:53 PM
Rocking M
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Stand for 460

I found an engine stand at Advanced Auto Parts for $35.00. It is rated to 750#. The manufacturer is Pro Lift. Anyone have any experience with these, do you know if it will work with a 460?

Old 05-01-2002, 04:47 PM
mike460
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Stand for 460

if it doesnt have the two leg design, or wahtever the real name is, not that lil wimpy single leg poppin out the middle, i would even put a small block on it. ive got a one legged thing and it almost tipped over with a I6 on it. if you're not gonna have it on there long, you might be able to get away with it, but definately go with the best hardware you can afford. if you can get grade 8 do so. i bent the hell out of some bolts with my 460 on my other stand. hope this helps

mike

Old 05-01-2002, 06:33 PM
Varnish
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Stand for 460

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 01-May-02 AT 07:36 PM (EST)]hehe, i just completed a rebuild of my 460 and had this very same debate. i had a 750lb rated stand of the single pole variety, it had worked great for two previous 302 rebuilds all the way together up to longblock. due to some horribly stuck header bolts on my 460 (argh!) i ended up taking the heads out and then the shortblock so didn't immediately have to resolve the question. i looked briefly on the net and saw a number like 720lbs for a 460 and assume this means w/heads & intake. after plopping just the shortblock on the stand i could tell it was straining. i was mostly worried about the bolts breaking loose or even worse cracking an area around the bellhousing mounting holes if i stuck the heads/intake on. i ended up putting the entire shortblock together on the stand & when it came time for intake & heads i supported the front of the engine by the damper area with an engine hoist and it worked out fine. 720lbs seems like a helluva lot to support by one end with a few bolts and distributing the weight worked great

(as a side note, holy crap does that stock iron intake weigh a ton - replaced mine w/aluminum edelbrock and man what a difference in the amount of muscles required)

Old 05-01-2002, 09:23 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Engine Stand for 460