Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 f-150 engine over heating, fan relay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Boz1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 f-150 engine over heating, fan relay?

I recently installed a new radiator for my 93 f-150 4x4 (5.0 engine) because it was over heating due to it leaking . While I was at it I also replaced it with a new thermostat(the proper way, not backwards). I also filled the radiator back up to its proper level. I thought everything was fixed until I was driving to work the next day and noticed my gauge slowly creeping up to the Hot level, and as I pulled into work the radiator fluid was spurting out the over flow reservoir tank. I also noticed the fan wasn't kicking on. Do you think the relay could have went bad is why my fan isn't kicking on? If so, where would this relay be located? I have two fuse boxes ,one in the cab under the dash on the drivers side and one in the engine compartment on the drivers side. There looks to be only 3 (black)relays in this fuse box. Would anyone know which relay this could be and how to test it if its bad? I don't have a manual and have been hunting for a wiring diagram for this fuse box on line but to no avail, Also, could the trouble maybe be the temp sensor thats located just above where my thermostat is? Does this have anything to do with kicking on the fan once the fluid gets to a certain temperature? can anyone help me please?

Thanks,
Brooks

Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you have a mechanical or an electric fan on your truck?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
consti2tion
Junior User
That's what I was going to ask. I've never seen a 92-96 F150 with anything but a mechanical fan.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Boz1
New User
Thats a good question, Im not sure to tell you the truth, whats the diffrence in the mechanical verses the electric? I thought it was electric because my fan would kick on (when the temp got high enough)on on occasion when the motor was turned off?

Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's the stock fan, it's mechanical.

Check and see if your fan is bolted to one of your pulleys, if so, thats the dead giveaway Mechanical.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:51 PM
Boz1
New User
Yep, its mechanical for sure then, thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 11:56 PM
consti2tion
Junior User
Your fan clutch could be going out, causing the fan to not spin as fast as the motor.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Air trapped in water passages/system
Water pump not working
Bad sensor
Bad gauge

I think the first two may need to be checked

Old 01-16-2008, 02:57 AM
Boz1
New User
Thanks a million for all the quick replies, this by far is the best Ford message boards I have ever been to.
I never gave the water pump a thought really,and was wondering on the bottom hose from your water pump to your radiator, should that hose feel solid the entire time the engine is running? Cause now that I think about it, the hose almost looks and feels like there is some kind of vacum on it, the hose almost looks like it wants to half clamp together on itself. I remember a guy at work telling me sometimes you need to sqeeze(pump) that hose with your hand to get water moving into the pump to get the fluid circulating. I did do that, and recall the hose never really felt solid and full of water.

I just put a new pump on my truck last year and hoping if it is the pump that I have a warrenty on it from auto zone where I purchased it.

Oh one more thing, the post the ''rbloodhound'' posted after mine helped me out in a big way when it come to my fuse box thats located under the hood

(https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...tech-info.html)

(http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u...s95F3504X4.jpg),

its exactly what I have been looking for for the past week of searching. "Thanks! rbloodhound!" and thanks to you guys for the quick replies!

Brooks
St.Clairsville,ohio

Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Boz1
New User
forgot to ask this. When putting the fluid back into the radiator in order not to get air in the lines, should I take one of the hoses off that goes into my heater core(( under the hood,up against the firewall passenger side)) until the coolant reaches this spot , then put the hose back on and continue to fill the radiator until its full? The reason I ask this is because this seems to be the place that is the highest spot the fluid needs to travel, then once it goes through the heater core it seems its all down hill from there?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Fanboy
Junior User
I know it's a pain but to check now but did the new thermostat work (open) prior to putting it in the truck. I had the exact same problem a little while ago, and one of the problems was that my brand new t-stat didn't actually open. I mean i could not force it open with my body weight (170). Of course this was discovered after new hoses, pump, and radiator....

Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
thermostat is in wrong or it is a bad part.

where did you purchase it?

what brand?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Fanboy
Junior User
Stupid question, but did you change the hoses?? If not make sure that they aren't colapsing under load.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the water pump. Autozone sells the cheapest, lowest quality water pumps known to man. I would replace it just out of principle.

If you also bought a cheap t-stat from autozone that could be the problem as well.

Air is a possibility, but from the way you describe the gauge, I doubt it.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Boz1
Thats a good question, Im not sure to tell you the truth, whats the diffrence in the mechanical verses the electric? I thought it was electric because my fan would kick on (when the temp got high enough)on on occasion when the motor was turned off?
that is impossible with the stock mechanical fan.

do you for sure know if you have a mechanical fan or an electric fan?

what is still on after the motor shuts off?

Last edited by quicklook2; 01-16-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 f-150 engine over heating, fan relay?