Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No truck... til spring time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 PM
chief2007
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No truck... til spring time!

Truck in question - 1989 F-150 4.9L I6 EFI. Single tank, two fuel pumps, one in-tank low pressure and one high pressure in left side frame rail. Situation - It's getting to be awful cold here in Wisconsin, and because my truck started and idled for about three minutes and then shut off and wouldn't start again, I thought it was the gas that had frozen. So, needless to say, I couldn't get where I wanted to go and decided to just monkey with it the next day. I put six more gallons of gas in and some HEET, and waited an hour or so. I went back out and bounced the truck around a bit to get things moving and tried to start it... nothing. Nothing the next day either, but today when my dad tried it, or course it started and ran for about three minutes, and it shut off again, with no signs of being started again. I stood outside the truck and turned the ignition multiple times listening for the pumps... they made their usual whizzing sound. So I checked to make sure the circuit was operating correctly by grounding the FP diagnostic lead and heard everything working properly. I tried giving the gas tank and external pump a couple taps with a rubber mallet and still nothing. The truck is parked outside so I can't warm anything up with a torpedo heater. I'm stuck... figuratively speaking of course.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
try starting fluid.

read codes.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:02 PM
chief2007
Junior User
Starting fluid had absolutely no effect. It's hard to make that work anyway with only one person (me) working on the truck. I'll try it tomorrow once I can get my dad involved. Reading codes has a slim chance of working because even for a KOEO (Key On Engine Off) test, I have to have the engine warmed up to operating temperature.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chief2007
Starting fluid had absolutely no effect. It's hard to make that work anyway with only one person (me) working on the truck. I'll try it tomorrow once I can get my dad involved. Reading codes has a slim chance of working because even for a KOEO (Key On Engine Off) test, I have to have the engine warmed up to operating temperature.
i bet it is an ignition problem.

give it a good spray into the intake, it is an easy one person job.

codes will be there cold or warm.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Itch71
Senior User
Originally Posted by quicklook2
i bet it is an ignition problem.

give it a good spray into the intake, it is an easy one person job.

codes will be there cold or warm.
Not disputing your knowledge by any means quicklook and the codes pertinent to his problem may very well be there. However, yesterday, I pulled codes in -15C off a cold engine and got 116 and 114. I read my manual and it said to warm up the engine first. After bringing engine to op. temp. and rechecking codes...they were both gone. Anyway just thought I'd share this, as I just found out about it.
That being said, in the position you're in chief, I'd pull them.

Itch

Old 01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
chief2007
Junior User
Yesterday I put in a new fuel filter with no change, so I think its safe to say its not a fuel problem considering I examined the pumps. I remember in the three minutes that the truck was running, the check engine light was not on so that makes me hesitate to run codes. So for now, my next plan of action is a tune up of the ignition components.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:08 AM
kell104
Elder User
Since you get nothing with starting fluid I would guess you have a ignition problem. Take your module out and have it tested. It it checks ok check your coil. If you don't have a haynes manual get one, library etc. It will tell you how to check different ignition parts.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:47 AM
ssidney
Senior User
before going through all that....have you checked for spark ???

Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
chief2007
Junior User
I replaced the ignition coil and module today and she runs. Problem is though, one of the two screws is missing and one of the screw holes is stripped.. My temporary solution is zip tying the module in place. Thanks for the assistance everyone!!