1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

diesel algae

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:51 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
diesel algae

how long does it take to rid the truck of algae? i changed my filter again today and it is black and slimy, i have treated almost 250 gallons of fuel so far and i still have an issue? i will continue treating but am looking for others who have had this problem.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:59 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey coon are you just using regular diesel?

Old 12-22-2007, 03:06 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Coon

Did you use a shock mix then maintenance mix after?
Shure its not motor oil? (black slime)
Possible the filter is still cleaning it up.

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 12-22-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:23 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i used the only algae treatment i could find around here, noone has ever heard of algae before, they all looked at me like i was an alien. it was 23 bucks a bottle and treats 500 gallons. i will take a pic of the bottle tommorow. it says for removal of water and algae blooms in diesel engines. and i am using diesel right from the pumps. no special brews or mixtures.

i also shouldnt have any motor oil in there. the injector o-rings were replaced almost 30k ago. why else would i have engine oil in it? i will try to dig the filter out of the trash and get a picture as well

Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 PM
WALJON
Posting Guru

The reason I am asking is the last 2 times I changed my filter it was black with slime as well I was thinking it was because of the bio I had been using in the summer but maybe not ? I am having a hard time with the algae thing I could see getting algae if the fuel was standing still for months on end, I used to work for a company that would pick up used diesel fuel for disposal and I would only see algae in the storage tanks that had lots of sludge in them or the ones that sat for a long time never in the tanks that product was moving all the time makes you kind of wonder if some of these big bulk plants are skipin maintenance on there big tanks or maybe the service stations too

Old 12-23-2007, 04:16 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I used a bottle of Slime X. It comes in a white and green bottle that is the same as a small bottle of Diesel Clean. The same people make it, Power Service. I got it from my local A Line auto parts. Odds are, if you have a parts store that has Diesel Clean, they can order the Slime X. One bottle and my problem was solved.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 AM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i will be looking for it

Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
My filter also had black slime on it, coated heavily. I changed the filter and ran the heavy dose of Diesel Kleen through it (6oz per tank) and the second filter stayed clean. I agree with Waljon; I have never had an algae problem in a diesel tank on a pickup being used regularly. I put 250,000K on a idi Ford without any algae. But I have seen it in diesel equipment/generators that wasn't used for long periods of time.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:54 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

For us it's not a matter of the equipment sitting. It has to do with buying diesel at a place that doesn't turn alot of diesel. Which was what happened to me. I bought from a station that I don't normally buy from off the beaten path. That's where I got it. Or maybe a place that has alot of moisture in the tank. I do my best to buy diesel at places that see alot of diesel traffic, that way I know it's fresh.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Knotwild
Tuned
Good point RubberDuck. As a side note, I have been buying from a station out in the country that appears to be selling the old formula diesel. It has been $2.89 a gallon since the middle of November even when other stations were selling it at $3.35!

Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2007, 10:00 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

There's your answer. Sorry you got the slime brother. Merry Christmas to you too.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 AM
dinikin
Senior User
This is what you need bro.

Try this. It is kinda big bottle but you can send me half.

http://www.powerservice.com/bk/

Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dinikin
Try this. It is kinda big bottle but you can send me half.

http://www.powerservice.com/bk/

This stuff should do it but if you are having difficullty in finding an anti-Algae contact a distributer of home heating oil (diesel) and they always carry it and most times it's cheaper than the auto/truck parts stores.

Rog

Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 AM
WALJON
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by RubberDuck
For us it's not a matter of the equipment sitting. It has to do with buying diesel at a place that doesn't turn alot of diesel. Which was what happened to me. I bought from a station that I don't normally buy from off the beaten path. That's where I got it. Or maybe a place that has alot of moisture in the tank. I do my best to buy diesel at places that see alot of diesel traffic, that way I know it's fresh.
Yeh I here ya some times you have to go to these places for fuel kinda sucks if I can I try to stay away from the places with above ground tanks these tanks build up lots of moisture. Merry Christmas one more sleep!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:26 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
True.
Most do not realise that the Algea lives in water and feeds off the fuel.
You get both. You can have water in the fuel and no Algea. But for Algea to form and grow it needs water.

I have used BioBor JF with good results. Do a shock mix then a tank of maintenance mix.

Bill

Quick Reply: diesel algae