Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another weird question..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another weird question..

When I turn my OD off, the "off light" flashes on & off. Is this normal?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No that's not normal. Does it still disable the OD when you push the button?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:19 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check it for codes, the CEL does not have to be on to have tranny codes.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by danr1
Check it for codes, the CEL does not have to be on to have tranny codes.
There really isn't any code type flashing, it is a really fast flash. I'll get video of it next time I drive it.

Originally Posted by Skandocious
No that's not normal. Does it still disable the OD when you push the button?
Yeah, the OD is disabled.

Ok then, being that my horn doesn't work and my Airbag light is always flashing, I'm going to assume there is a problem with the steering collum/wheel/electrical. The previous owner had tried to wire in a trailer harness and in the process trashed the "light block" which I have replaced. Now I am wondering what else got trashed in the process.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:27 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Agent 069
There really isn't any code type flashing, it is a really fast flash. I'll get video of it next time I drive it.
No, you need to pull the codes.

http://broncodata.com/tech/codes.htm

Old 12-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
If it's an erratic flash, with no pattern then perhaps you just have a short to the power wire which lights the bulb in the end of the switch.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:50 PM
danr1
Lead Driver
If it does cancel OD and doesn't shift up and down with the light it may just be a short in the light circuit as Chris suggested but I'd check it for codes just to be on the safe side.
I do not believe the "Off" light is supposed to flash if there is a tranny problem, the dealer told me that the "OD" light should flash if it has codes for the tranny but I don't think my truck has one, I couldn't see/find one anywhere. That and one doens't light up KOEO before starting it either, everything else does light up.
Looks to me like it just has the "Off" light for OD (E40D), but I do have tranny codes without the CEL being on. The OD switch and light works fine on it though so it if should flash I would think it could.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
If it does cancel OD and doesn't shift up and down with the light it may just be a short in the light circuit as Chris suggested but I'd check it for codes just to be on the safe side.
I do not believe the "Off" light is supposed to flash if there is a tranny problem, the dealer told me that the "OD" light should flash if it has codes for the tranny but I don't think my truck has one, I couldn't see/find one anywhere. That and one doens't light up KOEO before starting it either, everything else does light up.
Looks to me like it just has the "Off" light for OD (E40D), but I do have tranny codes without the CEL being on. The OD switch and light works fine on it though so it if should flash I would think it could.
It runs just fine, goes thru all 3 gears with OD off. I doubt it is anything to do with the transmission. With OD on it shifts into 4th and runs thru all the gear without issue.

I'm trying to sell or trade the F150 now. I'll let someone else figure out the small issues. I'm not working and dont have the money to fix everything right now.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
If there is something wrong with it, you're better off fixing it now rather than later, after it's turned into a problem that needs a rebuilt tranny at ~ $2500.

Just a suggestion.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Ok then, being that my horn doesn't work and my Airbag light is always flashing, I'm going to assume there is a problem with the steering collum/wheel/electrical.
Clock spring. I'm surprised no one picked up on this.

Check you fuses as well.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:36 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Scndsin
Good call. I actually didn't see that part of his post or I'd have suggested the same thing. Check/replace your clock spring

Old 12-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru

Check you fuses as well.
Clock spring.... Sounds like a really easy fix... I assume just pull the wheel and replace the spring??

All of my fuses are fine, that was the first thing I checked.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
danr1
Lead Driver

Check you fuses as well.
The original complaint was about the OD “off” light.

If it is on the end of the shifter handle it does not go through the clock spring.

Secret Agent 069 didn’t say what tranny they have in their truck, "OD off light" had me thinking of the "E40D".

Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
The original complaint was about the OD “off” light.

If it is on the end of the shifter handle it does not go through the clock spring.

Secret Agent 069 didn’t say what tranny they have in their truck, "OD off light" had me thinking of the "E40D".
I dont know what Tranny I have. The Engine is a 300 Inline 6, with a few minor issues on its own. The truck is a 94 F150. AFAICT there is nothing wrong with the transmission, it goes through all the gears just fine. Never had a problem with it shifting. Just the light flickers (regardless of engine running or not)

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Clock spring.... Sounds like a really easy fix... I assume just pull the wheel and replace the spring??

All of my fuses are fine, that was the first thing I checked.
Yes, but you need to be careful with the airbag. There are numerous threads here. It is how I wound up here when I bought mine. You can wait for me to go through my folders & drag back a link, Or google search clockspring+airbag+ford-truck.com, or search my posts.

As far as the fuses go I've had & seen other F series of this vintage get their cargo &/or high mount brake light short due to broken lens, get wet, blow its fuse & display the flashing OD light which is why I mentioned it. But the tranny went into limp mode as a result (not your described problem, apparently). Replacing the fuse cured it. Since It happened on a reg basis, I carried a box of em' after the third lens replacement.

Quick Reply: Another weird question..