Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Injector pump shutoff solenoide

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 07:02 AM
LEEAMEN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Injector pump shutoff solenoide

I recently installed Injector pump solenoide. The truck will run when idle for hours, as soon as I drive a block with it dies. If I get out and play with wire and hear solenoide click It will crank back up, but die again as soon as I move it. I run a hot wire directly to solenoide and still does the same thing. Plus it puffing white smoke which it didnt before. Ive been told air in fuel will shut it off! Plus the relay box under glow plug solenoide could be the problem. Does anyone no these symtoms . Ive changed fuel pump, fuel filter, glow plug solenoide, but not box underneath solenoide, and injector pump solenoide

Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is on your 89 F350.......... Before the removal of the IP cover and replacing the FSS what was wrong.... same symptoms.

How full are the fuel tank(s).... over 1/3 in the one selected.... Did you install the new lift pump as per instructions in the box or were there any.

IPs can "pull" enough fuel in some cases to run at idle.....

Do a pressure and flow test of the fuel pump at the Schrader valve on the filter header (FSS- fuel shutoff solenoid disconnected on IP). Remove the tire valve core and hook a hose and pressure guage on it should see 4-6 psi when cranking. Then do a fuel quantity test same place, should see 1/3 pint in 10 seconds of engine cranking, route fuel to a suitable container with a hose.

If there is a problem with the lift pump and you are changing it, ensure the new pump comes with instructions as to correct installation procedure if it is the newer model pump with the almost straight arm.

This info pertains to Carter #M60278 pump or new long arm style.

WARNING

This fuel pump must be installed only at the low position of actuator cam.

If the pump is installed at any other position than low cam, the pump will be ruined, the engine will stall and damage may result.

Incorrect installation will loosen the pivot pin and allows the pin and lever to come out of the pump and drop into the oil pan. This can occur immediately or after several hundred miles. This type of failure is not covered by warranty.

To ensure that the cam is at low position, it is necessary to use a mirror and a remote starter switch. Observe the cam through the mounting port and bump the engine around until a one (1) inch wide machine surface is observed. This is low position of the cam. Now complete normal fuel pump installation.

9502CA

Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 AM
LEEAMEN
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is the glow plug solenoide clicking over and over, it seems there is power going to shut off solenoide but its not working. I havnt yet checked fuel preasure but it seems to be pumping fast. I will check. What is the black box underneath the glow plug solenide. What does that control. And thank you for your time

Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 PM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The controller and relay are one package due to it being solid state.. located under the black cover......at the block upper rear by the oil sender.

GP controller will do the Wait To Start light (WTS) then cabn cycle for up to 2 minutes trying to keep the precups warm while you start it..