Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

four wheel problem

Old 12-11-2007, 01:30 PM
bigalspop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
four wheel problem

My 92 f150 4x4 doesn't want to engage into four wheel mode. I am not getting a light on the dash when I push either of the buttons. Could this be a fuse or might it be something more serious?
Any help would be great thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First you should obviously check any fuses related to the 4x4 system, start with the simplest stuff. If all of that checks out, remove the passenger kick panel and inspect the 4wd module. There should be a red light on it that will indicate it's status. Report to us what you find there. If that checks out, you most likely have a bad shift motor, which is a common problem with the electronic shift transfer cases.

Can you hear a relay CLICK sound behind the dash (actually coming from the passenger kick panel) right after you push the button?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
bigalspop
New User
Thanks for replying. I think I remember the click sound. I am at work right now, but will check it out and get back to you.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
If you're hearing the click sound but the 4x4 light is not coming on and the 4wd isn't engaging ---- bad transfer case shift motor.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:17 PM
bigalspop
New User
thank you

thank you so much Skan. I think you are right and am already on the trail of a new one. Of course the one major time I needed it it didn't engage.
thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Yeah that's how it goes. Lots of guys carry a spare tcase shifter motor in their truck because of that. And it's such an easy swap that you can do while your in the snow or the mud right when the thing goes out. Keep us posted on what you find out. Welcome to FTE

Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Jeff92f150
Freshman User
same problem

Hello, I have the same problem!!! same year truck.

there is power going to the switch on the dash, and when I push the button power is going out via a blue wire but it is not latching or holding... if I hold the 4x4 button and push the low range button then power comes out another wire in the bundle...

but I do not think I am hearing the click noise over in the right kick panel...

if the red light isn't on, what is the next plan of action?

thanks and sorry for the high jack.

Jeff.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
It sounds like your switch has power, so if you're not hearing the clicking noise at all then I would have to assume that your 4wd module in the passenger kick panel is going bad. Lemme check my repair manual and I'll post back.

EDIT: No such luck. My Ford repair manual offers no advice on the subject of testing your 4x4 shift switch. The only thing I found that might be of some use is an actual picture of the 4x4 shift switch in the passenger kick panel, just in case there's any confusion as to what it looks like:

I'm betting that is your problem child, Jeff. Check the connections to make sure they're all tight and let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Skandocious; 12-11-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Jeff92f150
Freshman User
switches

that picture is of the switch in the dashboard, but I'll try and get the kick panel off this weekend sometime.

Jeff.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jeff92f150
that picture is of the switch in the dashboard, but I'll try and get the kick panel off this weekend sometime.

Jeff.
AHHH it makes so much more sense now. You're right Jeff, I couldn't figure out why the front of vehicle arrow was pointing in the direction that it was! Haha. I've never actually taken the kick panel off to look at the module so I have no clue what it looks like. But I know it's back there

Old 12-12-2007, 01:44 PM
bigalspop
New User
Uh Oh

SKAN,
I just ordered the shift motor. Do you think it might be the four wheel module?
Is it easy to change the shift motor?
Thanks, Bigalspop

Old 12-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Like I said before, if you can hear the relay click noise when you push the button, I would suspect a bad shift motor. The shift motor replacement is VERY easy. Disconnect the electrical adapter and remove the screw(s) holding the shift motor mounting plate onto the t-case, then pull the shaft motor straight out towards the back of the truck. It should be seal onto the t-case with RTV so you'll have to give it a little elbow grease and possible have to jimmy it open a bit. Remove the remaining RTV from the t-case mating surface, apply new RTV and put shift motor back on in reverse order. Let me know if you want me to dig up the pics of the procedure and I'll see what I can do.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
bigalspop
New User
I will get the part tomorrow and give it a go. thank you so much pal.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
You betcha. Good luck brother, let us know how it goes. Post here if you've got any problems/questions, I pretty much lurk on here all day long every day I'm addicted.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Jeff92f150
Freshman User
module check

ok, I put the switch back on the dash. pulled the pass. side kick panel and found the module. It is held on by one 7/16 or 11mm nut and the upper part is hooked into a mount with with a small s shaped tab. just pull the nut off and push the module up slightly and pull the bottom out and wiggle it down. should come right out.

there are two plugs on one side and another plug on the other end. there is power coming to both ends of the module.

Ok, the red light was not on when I first saw the module. there is a small white button that when you press it the light comes on steady for about a minute or so then goes out.

when I press the dash button there is no click or anything. I tried pressing the white button on the module with the engine running and the key off and there was no difference in behavior.

so, what does the red light coming on for a minute or so mean?

I get no blinking, heard that means something different.

anybody know where I can get a new/rebuilt module?

thanks, Jeff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: four wheel problem