1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

x-fer case 'locked' in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:32 AM
chris9n
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x-fer case 'locked' in 4wd

OK, so I got my 4wd working a few weeks ago. Unfortunately it quit again. I pressed the 4 high button(I was in 2 hi) to enable the 4wd. I got nothing.

I thought the shift motor went bed, but I pulled it apart and didn't find anything wrong with it. I didn't do all the diagnostics (YET). But since it was a blizzard yesterday and I REALLY needed the truck in 4wd, I took the shift motor off, turned the shaft on the x-fer case to 4-hi, took the motor apart, turned the motor so the gear matched the shaft on the x-fer case so I could put the motor back on, then put it all together. I didn't know that the motor would automatically go to home (2hi) as soon as the truck was started....I didn't unhook the power to the module. I know it was in 2 hi because all I did was spin when I tried to go. :-(

.........so I did the whole process over again(confirming that the shaft/motor where back on 2hi position), this time unplugging the control module before I started. One thing I noticed, now, is that occassionally the t-fer case 'pops out' of gear and grinds until I push in the clutch for a couple seconds, then it is fine for a while.

A couple questions:

1. which way should i turn the x-fer case shaft to get better engagement. It is currently pointing in the 6 o'clock position. I turned the front drive shaft when I locked the x-fer case and heard it click. I thought that would lock it in well, but I guess not.

2. I noticed that one of the multiple times I had the shift motor apart I stupidly inverted the 'can' of the motor and put it on upside down(the thing with the magnets in it). Could that have hurt the motor? I don't think so given that it returned to home te next to last time I had it apart.

3. I want to check the dash switch. Is there a schematic or something somewhere that tells me what the resistance between the pins on the back of the switch when I push the buttons? I could only get continuity between 2 pins on the switch (upper left and lower right pins) even when each switch was pressed.

Last edited by chris9n; 12-04-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:35 AM
chris9n
New User
shameless bump....

Old 12-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Regarding the electrical circuit, this may shed some light: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ve-module.html

To me it sounds like a problem with the transfer case itself.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:14 PM
chris9n
New User
Originally Posted by Rockledge
Regarding the electrical circuit, this may shed some light: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...ve-module.html

To me it sounds like a problem with the transfer case itself.
hehe...that was my old thread....LOL.

That one won't help with this problem. I was really hoping to find out the pin resistances for the dash switch. I HOPE it's not the x-fer case problem.

Is there a chain or something in there that can be tightened or soemthing? As I was searching through stuff I saw that mentioned a few times.

If we get a nice day (before spring), I am going to get brave and plug the module back in and see what happens.

Thanks for your help regardless!!!