Anyone here use the x-fer case PTO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:41 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone here use the x-fer case PTO?

I think it only applies to F350 owners but
Does anyone on FTE use their x-fer case PTO?
If so, for what?
Maybe a pto winch?
pix?

Old 07-08-2009, 10:17 PM
73strokin
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm, I wasn't aware our transfercases had PTOs, although I don't have a 350 either. Is it an available accessory or something? I've heard of some trannys having one.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
My old white OBS had one (1994.5) and I thought the manual said it was and option for 1-ton truck x-fer cases but I lost the manual a while ago.
My current OBS doesn't have one...unfortunately (or I just missed it...it is pretty dark outside)

on edit:
the old truck was a manual and this is an auto if that has any effect on the option list from ford

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't use one but I do have a t-case with PTO option out of my parts trucks. I have no use for it really. I have thought about it but came up with nothing. If you have a manual trans you always have the PTO option but with an auto you need a PTO t-case. The biggest issue is that the exhaust will usually be in the way. BTW my PTO t-case is for sale if anyone is interest!

Old 07-09-2009, 09:01 PM
2 stroke man
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
I don't use one but I do have a t-case with PTO option out of my parts trucks. I have no use for it really. I have thought about it but came up with nothing. If you have a manual trans you always have the PTO option but with an auto you need a PTO t-case. The biggest issue is that the exhaust will usually be in the way. BTW my PTO t-case is for sale if anyone is interest!
OOH OOH, i might be interest! lol. pm me, what you want for it?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
coreylasalle
Elder User

so how would that work, how would u engage/disengage the pto?

Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 AM
pjwoolw
Postmaster

T.J. that would be a 4407 case? 96 and 97 f350? The yoke on the front output shaft is used for the double cardon driveshaft conversion? If so they are in high demand. Discontinued.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:44 AM
maverick1701
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coreylasalle
so how would that work, how would u engage/disengage the pto?
I have no idea...maybe it runs on hope and change

Old 07-14-2009, 05:39 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by pjwoolw
T.J. that would be a 4407 case? 96 and 97 f350? The yoke on the front output shaft is used for the double cardon driveshaft conversion? If so they are in high demand. Discontinued.
No its a 1356 out of a 95. It is from a 350 regular cab with slip joint rear output and double cardan Front output yoke. I have thought about selling it to a D60 conversion person but for now I want to keep it whole.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
The PTO gear meshes all the time, and the clutch to turn the PTO on and off is in the add on part of the PTO. It's a dog clutch so things have to be stopped for it to engage.

With a stick: you put the clutch in, put the x-fer case in neutral and then engage the PTO. You can run the PTO at different speeds by shifting the transmission.

With an auto it's a little more complicated. You need a PTO controller that will lock the torque converter and force the transmission into the gear you select. Without the controller, the transmission would stay in first because shifts are based on the VSS on the rear and, and if you're sitting still the PCM will just stay in first. The controller also includes a idle speed control that will regulate the RPM at a desired point. An auto does have one pain in the butt feature: In neutral there still is a bit of a drag. If you have a direct drive device like a winch, this amount of drag can hang up the PTO clutch and the only way you can get it to disengage is to kill the engine.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:54 PM
gt8684
Senior User
hmm this is interesting i didnt know the transfer case had a pto option at all... would it be possible to use that pto for an on board air system that could fit under the bed of the truck? i would rather that than an electric air compressor....

Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM
joe_13894
Posting Guru
You could run a compressor on it, but be aware that it will only run when the output of the transmission is spinning. If you have it on with the X-fer case in gear, it will spin proportionally to road speed. Many compressors won't like spinning slow because they won't oil right.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:57 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by joe_13894
The PTO gear meshes all the time, and the clutch to turn the PTO on and off is in the add on part of the PTO. It's a dog clutch so things have to be stopped for it to engage.

With a stick: you put the clutch in, put the x-fer case in neutral and then engage the PTO. You can run the PTO at different speeds by shifting the transmission.

With an auto it's a little more complicated. You need a PTO controller that will lock the torque converter and force the transmission into the gear you select. Without the controller, the transmission would stay in first because shifts are based on the VSS on the rear and, and if you're sitting still the PCM will just stay in first. The controller also includes a idle speed control that will regulate the RPM at a desired point. An auto does have one pain in the butt feature: In neutral there still is a bit of a drag. If you have a direct drive device like a winch, this amount of drag can hang up the PTO clutch and the only way you can get it to disengage is to kill the engine.
Great info Joe!

Originally Posted by gt8684
hmm this is interesting i didnt know the transfer case had a pto option at all... would it be possible to use that pto for an on board air system that could fit under the bed of the truck? i would rather that than an electric air compressor....
IMO it would be easier to run it off the belt in the engine compartment. If you didn't see my thread about my OBA project search "on board air" under my user name

Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 PM
gt8684
Senior User
hey tj, i think i remember you doing that, its just didnt you have to relocate the battery?i just thought it being under there would maybe make it a little easyer

Old 07-14-2009, 07:02 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by gt8684
hey tj, i think i remember you doing that, its just didnt you have to relocate the battery?i just thought it being under there would maybe make it a little easyer
I did but I only did that to make it easier and with my intercooler I needed more room. Without an intercooler it can be done with the batteries in the front.

With the PTO either way (auto or ZF trans) there are major room issues on a 4wd. Either the exhaust or the front driveshaft is in the way for a PTO unit. It would be pretty tricky to get it to work.

Quick Reply: Anyone here use the x-fer case PTO?