Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

One verse the other for part cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One verse the other for part cleaning

Which one is consider a better cleaning solvent for removing grease grime etc; Brake cleaner or carb cleaner. I want to clean, sand & then rattle spray a part and one seems to leave oil residue more than the other. What's you opinion?

Mitch

Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Most brake cleaners evaporate quickly and cleanly while most of the carb cleaners I've seen are designed for soaking parts and leave behind an oily film so I guess the brake cleaner would be the best choice but either way, if you want the paint to stick really well, you should wipe the surface down with acetone just befor painting to be sure all traces of oil (including fingerprints) are removed.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
I tought the brake cleaner didn't leave a residue verse carb cleaner; A buddy of mine recommends a product called MEK, he found as lowes for wiping down final prep work.
Thanks for your reply.

Mitch

Old 11-29-2007, 12:12 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) is some nasty stuff- wicked carcinogen, and give me a really bad headache.
Berryman B12 in a spray can is my standby for surface prep.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:36 AM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Do they actually sell MEK at Lowes -- or anywhere else?

Or is it a "like MEK". TSP ( Trisodium phosphate, I think) doesn't seem to be sold any longer. Stuff labelled TSP has some smaller words that basically say "works like TSP". Maybe it's the same deal with MEK.

I hadn't heard that it was a carcinogen-- although that doesn't amaze me. In the 70's the company that I worked for reported that the fumes could cause liver damage. It's not the worst stuff in the world, but I don't think that it's too nice.

ford2go

Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
MEK (Methyl ethyl ketone) is some nasty stuff- wicked carcinogen, and give me a really bad headache.
Berryman B12 in a spray can is my standby for surface prep.
MEK is the main component of the cement for PVC pipe. Melts the pipe; melts your lungs too. Acetone isn't exactly perfume, and it will do a number on the skin on your hands - it disolves the oil in your skin as well as the oil on the part you're cleaning. But you'll live longer. What the heck - the spray paint you're going to use probably has toluene in it. Better Living (and dying) Through Chemistry!

Old 11-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
MEK Hazard

Originally Posted by Customcab
I tought the brake cleaner didn't leave a residue verse carb cleaner; A buddy of mine recommends a product called MEK, he found as lowes for wiping down final prep work.
Thanks for your reply.

Mitch
MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) was used extensively in high tech manufacturing areas for degreasing in the early 80's, then when it was determined it was a "suspected cancer causing agent" it's use was extremely limited and usually probihited. Read the MSDS, gloves and respiratory protection is required for its use indoor or outdoor.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:05 PM
NJF350SD
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Typically, I will either use denatured alcohol or prep-sol (sp?) the chemical used by auto body guys for prepping automotive panels prior to painting. All, depends on what I'm doing.

Also, you have to worry about keytones with plastic. Most plastics will melt or at a minimum discolor with MEK.

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 01:06 PM
NJF350SD
Elder User
Typically, I will either use denatured alcohol or prep-sol (sp?) the chemical used by auto body guys for prepping automotive panels prior to painting. All, depends on what I'm doing.

Also, you have to worry about plastics with keytones. Most plastics will melt or at a minimum discolor with MEK.

Chris

Sorry again for the double post. Damn browser!! Can a Moderator please delete this?

Last edited by NJF350SD; 11-29-2007 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
MEK is some nasty stuff. It can disolve the fat out of your skin, irritate your nose, lungs and throat and make you feel generally crappy.

However, the one thing it is NOT is a carcinogen. No government agency - OSHA, NIOSH, EPA, etc. classifies it as a carcinogen. It's in plenty of products. It's in paints, paint removers, PVC cements, glues, etc.

As for brake cleaners; two of the most common ingredients in spray brake cleaners are perchlorethelene (dry cleaning solvent) which is a carcinogen or trichloroethelyne which can cause kidney and liver damage.

It all depends on how much and how often you're exposed. If you work in a paint shop 40 hours a week you'll need to use the proper protective equipment. If you're going to use one of these products once in a while to clean brakes or degrease a part before painting you're probably OK as long as you work with good ventilation. If you feel dizzy, you don't have enough ventilation. Of course you should always wear solvent proof gloves.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Keep in mind also that one large exposure can give you problems pretty much for the rest of your life.
I got a very large exposure to MEK, Toluene, and a few "unknowns" working at a factory in CT. They had me get samples from all the tanks in the abandoned paint room (last used in 86 or 87), and take them to the lab to be analyzed for disposal. I had headaches and dizziness for about a week after, and now every time I get near any concentration of those fumes, I get really bad headaches for a few days.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Customcab
Postmaster
Thanks guys; didn't know anything about MEK; will check it out further; I do use the (prep-all) found at wally world acouple of times and it seem to work well. I havn't use it in a spray bottle formula yet; usually pour on a key rag and wipe parts after cleaning them prior to painting.
One day will have room for a parts washer; saw recent thread about using Simple Green in your tank.
Again thanks for you techincal / MSDS knowledge..

Mitch

Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Ditto to what the others said. I have found that MEK works great for parts that I want to paint properly. I used MEK, from Lowes, to prep and paint my antique boat about 4 years ago. The paint is still looking great and adhering to the aluminum boat with no chipping or flaking. I wore a respirator, nitrile gloves, and safety goggles while working with the stuff. It is safe if handled with the proper P.P.E. And keep a water hose or sink nearby. If you get it on your skin it burns and you'll want to wash it off quickly.

Old 12-01-2007, 06:39 AM
GlennFordx4
Posting Guru
No matter if I use carb cleaner or brake cleaner I just give a quick wipe with some 3m prep solve seems to work pretty good as I do a lot of engine parts.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I emailed a friend of mine who has a PHD in chemistry and a lot of industry experience. I asked him about MEK because I was not sure, and this is his reply.

Hi Bruce,
MEK is extremely flammable and can be explosive at the right vapor amount. In the 60s and 70s it was the glue sniffers choice material to get high on. It can give you a real buzz but it will give you a big head ache after and even a hang-over. It is an excellent solvent and I use it with venting or out doors when I am using it in large quantities. I had a product based on this material for about 10 years and I had all of it manufactured in Taiwan. They had one fire and with their handling of the material, had the cleanest stream passing thru their property because when dumped in fresh water it kills everything including algae for miles downstream. If you intend to use much of this material be very careful.

Quick Reply: One verse the other for part cleaning