Sponsored by: Moser

How do you engage 4 wheel drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:56 AM
fordman71
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you engage 4 wheel drive?

I'm new to 4 wheel drives. Whats the proper way to engage 4 wheel drive in older trucks with manual hubs and a 205 transfer case? Is the same with automatics and 4 speeds? I've heard that you have to lock the hubs and then back up a little then go forward. Can you drive on the highway in 4 wheel if only for a short distance? Thanks

Old 11-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Tim C
Senior User
To engage the 4wd, just turn the hubs and shift the stick into 4hi or 4lo. Manual tranny in neutral, with an auto it may help to be in N also. To disengage, turn hubs to free, and shift back to 2hi. You may have to change direction a 5- 15 feet to completely disengage hubs (you might hear them click softly). In other words, if you were going forward, back up, and if you were backing up in 4wd, pull forward. If you need to drive on the pavement, you can leave the hubs lock in, but put the transfer case shifter in 2hi. If the hubs are locked on the street, you may get a vibration at speed. Try not to go over 45 much with the hubs locked.

Tim

Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You shouldn't drive on dry pavement in 4wd... thats what my owners manual says... it also says not to run with the hubs locked in / transfer case in 2wd.

I just put the truck in Park, lock the hubs in (warn premiums) and shift into 4wd and go.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Duke78
Senior User
I have a 4 speed but still have the 205 transfer case.

Put the truck in Park, get out and turn the hubs to "LOCK". Get back in the truck pull the transfer case lever to "4H" or "4L". Put the truck in drive and you're good to go.

For going back do this. Put the truck in neutral, Move the transfer case lever to 2H then put the truck in park. Get out move the hubs to "FREE". Get back in the truck and put it in reverse. Back up a bit, stop and then stomp on it, if the back wheels spin you're out.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:36 PM
droidster
Junior User
one more tip if it lever won't come out of 4low move the truck, try it on a level spot etc.

mine has 150000 hard miles on it so sometime i have to do this to get it out.

just my two cents.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:05 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will add to droidsters comment, to get the truck out of 4 low, you have to move the truck the opposite direction you were going while trying to move the stick in the direction you want to go at the same time. Also, if the stick growls at you when you try to shift into 4 low, tell it to STFU, and grab/push it harder. It is very hard to hurt a 205, they are very forgiving.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
its easier if you just put the trans in neutral when it is rolling slowly (2-5 mph)

Old 11-20-2007, 03:13 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
My T-case wants to ***** at me sometimes when coming out of 4-lo, lots of scary grinding sounds. I just roll a bit, put it in neutral and try again. I've never had to really force it.

Sometimes 2Hi wont engage (shifter wont move), when that happens I just slowly back up or go forward steadily (but not too hard) pushing on the shifter until it shifts.. Small trick I learned from the manual.. Something else they pointed out, you shouldn't shift above a couple of miles an hour.

and other people have said this but absolutely do NOT run the 205 on dry pavement, it only takes a couple of miles before things start to break, especially if you have good tires.
All you need is a small amount of ice/snow/rain/mud/gravel every once in a while so the front tires can slip, don't be afraid to kick it into 4Hi with small patches of snow on the road.

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 AM
alchymist
"Mifflin Clay"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ErrorS
My T-case wants to ***** at me sometimes when coming out of 4-lo, lots of scary grinding sounds. I just roll a bit, put it in neutral and try again. I've never had to really force it.

Sometimes 2Hi wont engage (shifter wont move), when that happens I just slowly back up or go forward steadily (but not too hard) pushing on the shifter until it shifts.. Small trick I learned from the manual.. Something else they pointed out, you shouldn't shift above a couple of miles an hour.

and other people have said this but absolutely do NOT run the 205 on dry pavement, it only takes a couple of miles before things start to break, especially if you have good tires.
All you need is a small amount of ice/snow/rain/mud/gravel every once in a while so the front tires can slip, don't be afraid to kick it into 4Hi with small patches of snow on the road.
Never owned an ESOF system, never plan to. Manual 4WD - During possible slippery conditions - lock the front hubs. When you're going down the road and it gets squirrley, just reach over, put pressure on the stick towards the 4HI position, and pull. If you have the gas on, let off momentarily. if coasting, give it a little gas, and it should pop right into 4WH. When not needed, reverse the procedure. I never do this above 45 MPH, but if things are squirrley, why are you doing over 45? Owned a bunch of 4WD's and never once damaged one with this technique. Just make sure there is more than an occasional patch of slippery stuf while in 4HI. 200 yards on bare pavement just might cause a big bang. Or not....depends. JMHO, as usual.