6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

10k Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 10k Oil Change?

Ok so I read a couple diffrent threads on which synthetic oild you should run in the 6.4L. Can someone please break it down for the noob here? Reading all the diffrent post on what's legit and what's not gave me a headache. Back when I had 5k miles on the truck, I took the truck to Xpress Lube where they used Havoline URSA H15/40 and the dealer said that was fine. Coming up on 10k soon, would you stick with that oil or use something diffrent? Thanks for the help.

Nick

Old 11-12-2007, 05:46 PM
fordfish
Senior User
I believe the 6.4 ,under normal use, is a 10K mile oil change interval, personally I've used Rotella and Amsoil, amsoil beacause I am too busy to worry about Oil Changes- It's a 25K 1 time a year change. Look up Amsoil I'm sure all your Q's will be answered.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
As long as you can afford to pay all your own repairs, since Amsoil is not CJ-4 certified (as Ford requires for warranty), and extended OCIs will also throw you out of warranty, go ahead and use it...

I'd stick with a CJ-4 rated oil if it were me -- One of the reasons I bought a new truck is for the warranty...

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
As long as you can afford to pay all your own repairs, since Amsoil is not CJ-4 certified (as Ford requires for warranty), and extended OCIs will also throw you out of warranty, go ahead and use it...

I'd stick with a CJ-4 rated oil if it were me -- One of the reasons I bought a new truck is for the warranty...
If you read the owners manual it does not say you have to use API certified. It says the symbol has been developed by the API to help you select the proper oil. It says the oil should match the owner guide recommendation. I think it is a good idea for people who cannot think for themselves or research it enough to make their own decision. I use amsoil and have never had an oil related failure. I also own 18 wheelers and put anywhere from 125000 miles a year to 250000 miles a year on them. I do oil sampling and my reports always come back good for continued use. Have never had so much as a cmshaft failure. I usually trade them off before 750000 miles.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:39 AM
ffdemoss
Senior User
Amsoil has one CJ-4 complaint oil (not sure if it is actually certified) and it is the 5W-40 DEO

Old 11-13-2007, 11:57 AM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
Originally Posted by blue ghost
If you read the owners manual it does not say you have to use API certified. It says the symbol has been developed by the API to help you select the proper oil. It says the oil should match the owner guide recommendation. I think it is a good idea for people who cannot think for themselves or research it enough to make their own decision. I use amsoil and have never had an oil related failure. I also own 18 wheelers and put anywhere from 125000 miles a year to 250000 miles a year on them. I do oil sampling and my reports always come back good for continued use. Have never had so much as a cmshaft failure. I usually trade them off before 750000 miles.
I have read my manual(s), more than just the page you're referring to as a matter of fact, and maybe they've changed the requirement for the '08s (doubt it), but for '07s they require API certified oil.

On page 2 of my Warranty Guide under section "Maintain Your Vehicle Properly", I quote: "It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance."

On page 37 of the Powerstroke Owner's Guide Supplement, under section "Engine Oil Specifications", it says: "...it is important that only engine lubricating oils of the proper quality are used in your diesel engine and that the engine oil is changed no later than the recommended interval.", and "...use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to Ford Specification WSS-M2C171-D or API Service catergories CI-4 Plus, CI-4/SL or DHD-1."

There are more references to API certified oils elsewhere as well...

My bet is that last part is changed to API CJ-4 on the '08s.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fordfish
I believe the 6.4 ,under normal use, is a 10K mile oil change interval, personally I've used Rotella and Amsoil, amsoil beacause I am too busy to worry about Oil Changes- It's a 25K 1 time a year change. Look up Amsoil I'm sure all your Q's will be answered.
This is pure BS. If you are going to run extended OCI, you must install a bypass oil filtration system and run UOA, then change the oil based on the UOA.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:08 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I have read my manual(s), more than just the page you're referring to as a matter of fact, and maybe they've changed the requirement for the '08s (doubt it), but for '07s they require API certified oil.

On page 2 of my Warranty Guide under section "Maintain Your Vehicle Properly", I quote: "It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance."

On page 37 of the Powerstroke Owner's Guide Supplement, under section "Engine Oil Specifications", it says: "...it is important that only engine lubricating oils of the proper quality are used in your diesel engine and that the engine oil is changed no later than the recommended interval.", and "...use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to Ford Specification WSS-M2C171-D or API Service catergories CI-4 Plus, CI-4/SL or DHD-1."

There are more references to API certified oils elsewhere as well...

My bet is that last part is changed to API CJ-4 on the '08s.

From page 41 of 2008 Diesel Supplement manual:
"it is
important that only engine oils of good quality are used in your diesel
engine and it is changed at the recommended interval. For normal or
severe service, use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to Ford
specification WSS-M2C171–E or API service categories CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM.
It is important to use these oils because they are compatible with the
emission control equipment of your vehicle to meet the more stringent
emission standards."
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../0860l6d3e.pdf

Old 11-13-2007, 12:11 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ffdemoss
Amsoil has one CJ-4 complaint oil (not sure if it is actually certified) and it is the 5W-40 DEO
Amsoil does not have an API CJ-4 Certified & Licensed oil. Amsoil only has one diesel engine oil that is API Certified & Licensed and that is the PCO 15W-40 semi-synthetic API CI-4+ oil.
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0995

Here is the link to all the API CJ-4 Certified & Licensed oils
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServ...eCategory=CJ-4

Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
I see you have Trolled back to spread some more of your mis-information and un-substaniated rumor about ScAmsoil

You may want to refer back to these threads.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/66...-cj-4-oil.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/fo...l?daysprune=-1

Please provide varifiable links to your unsubstantiated claims.

Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
Not one place does it say you must use API certified oil. If your manual says that you have a different man. than I do. Blackhat I take offense to your calling me a troll because I disagree with you. I would like to know who made you an expert on anything. Your opinion is just that . Your opinion. I am going off real life experences. I bought my first truck in 1978. It was a 1972 Peterbilt. I must be doing something right.

Last edited by blue ghost; 11-13-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cHiLi 11
Ok so I read a couple diffrent threads on which synthetic oild you should run in the 6.4L. Can someone please break it down for the noob here? Reading all the diffrent post on what's legit and what's not gave me a headache. Back when I had 5k miles on the truck, I took the truck to Xpress Lube where they used Havoline URSA H15/40 and the dealer said that was fine. Coming up on 10k soon, would you stick with that oil or use something diffrent? Thanks for the help.
Nick
For you 6.4 choose any, oil synthetic or dino, that is API CJ-4 Certified & Licensed in the appropriate viscosity for your driving conditions & load. For an oil to be API Certified & Licensed, it must have the API "Donut &/or Starburst" on the front of the container.
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...lGuide2006.pdf

Here is the link to the API CJ-4 Certified & Licensed oils.
http://eolcs.api.org/FindBrandByServ...eCategory=CJ-4

As per page 42 of the 2008 PSD supplement manual you may use either a dino or synthetic oil and use an OCI of 10k if you meet the "normal" driving conditions as oulined on page 59 & 77 of the manual. If your use fits the "special operating conditions" as outlined on page 59 & 85 then your OCI is 5000 miles.

In addition, it does not matter if you are running dino or synthetic oil, extended OCI intervals can only be safely done if you run a bypass oil filtration system and use UOA to determine when to change the oil.

Here are a couple of threads with more info
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/66...-cj-4-oil.html
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/fo...l?daysprune=-1

Old 11-13-2007, 12:36 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Not one place does it say you must use API certified oil. If your manual says that you have a different man. than I do. Blackhat I take offense to your calling me a troll because I disagree with you. I would like to know who made you an expert on anything. Your opinion is just that . Your opinion. I am going off real life experences. I bought my first truck in 1978. It was a 1972 Peterbilt. I must be doing something right.
Please have someone who understands & comprehends the english language read & explain to you not only the FMC manuals but also the API Certification & Licensing documentation.

You have yet to back up any of your false statements in any of the oil threads with verifiable links and facts.

When you can back up your false claims with verifiable links & facts, then potentially your Troll & Amsoil cheerleader status will dimish.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM
blue ghost
Junior User
Blackhat I am tired of you insults. I am surprised FTE has allowed your insults so long. You still have not shown where it says must use API cert. It simply states API is a tool to help you choose an oil. Now I will make you a promise. I will not ignore your insults any longer.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:32 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Blackhat I am tired of you insults. I am surprised FTE has allowed your insults so long. You still have not shown where it says must use API cert. It simply states API is a tool to help you choose an oil. Now I will make you a promise. I will not ignore your insults any longer.
All of the data i posted has been backed up by verifiable facts & links, in numerous threads and posts including this thread. Please read the verifiable facts & links. You still have not provided 1 verifiable link or fact to your false statements about API Certification and Amsoil cheerleading.

Here is the information from the FMC 08 Warranty manual page 2 &3:
"It is your responsibility to make sure that all of the scheduled maintenance is performed and that the materials used meet Ford engineering specifications. Failure to perform scheduled maintenance as specified in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide will invalidate warranty coverage on parts affected by the lack of maintenance. Make sure that receipts for completed maintenance work are retained with the vehicle and confirmation of maintenance work is always entered in your Scheduled Maintenance Guide."
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../08frdwa3e.pdf

Here is the information direct from the FMC 08 PSD manual page 41 & 42:
"Engine oil specifications
To help achieve acceptable engine performance and durability, it is
important that only engine oils of good quality are used in your diesel
engine and it is changed at the recommended interval. For normal or
severe service, use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent oil conforming to Ford
specification WSS-M2C171–E or API service categories CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM.

It is important to use these oils because they are compatible with the
emission control equipment of your vehicle to meet the more stringent
emission standards."

"A symbol has been developed by the American Petroleum Institute (API) to help you select the proper engine oil. It will be included on the oil container you purchase. The top section of the symbol shows the oil performance by the API designation. This should match the owner guide recommendation. The center section will show the SAE viscosity grade"

• An engine block heater must be used at temperatures below –10°F (–23°C).
• Use the same engine oil and filter change intervals when using synthetic engine oil.
• Heavier 15W–40 and 5W–40 engine oils are recommended for temperature over 50°F (10°C) and must be used for heavy duty driving and trailer towing"

The Only way an oil can display the API "Donut & Starburst" on the container of oil is to have the oil "Certified & Licensed" by API. Without the API "Donut & Starburst" symbol correctly displayed on the container of oil, there is absolutely no way to verify the contents of the container or if it meets the API Certification specifications as outlined by API in their license agreement and publication 1509 (Engine Oil Licensing and Certification System)
http://www.api.org/certifications/en...tion042007.pdf

Quick Reply: 10k Oil Change?