Sponsored by:

anti-gel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 01:01 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti-gel?

My truck that I just bought is gonna be sitting awhile.

The guy that owned it put about 10 gallons of diesel in the front tank maybe 2 weeks ago at most.

Given how cold it is, is it safe to assume they've already put out the winter blend, or should I get some anti-gel additive for the fuel? Or, what additive is recommended for a truck that will be sitting for a bit (it will get run/driven occasionally). I also don't know how much old fuel is in the rear tank, I haven't looked.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:02 PM
dryfly
Elder User
I know the winter fuel I up here in N.Y.State.But you would have too ask the suppliers down there aprox. when they did the change over.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:00 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
I was wondering about this subject also. What is the timeframe a truck can sit without it gelling? My dads truck has been sitting about 3 days now in cold weather. Also how cold are we talking.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:49 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
I do not think how long your truck sits will contribute to gelling, just how cold it gets.
We never use no gell additives on any of our work trucks and never have any problems starting them untill sombody forgets to plug in the block heater. I think most trucks have fule line heaters to help when it get cold. I recomend you use the old fule first before it goes rotten and add some no gell additive like diesel clean just to cover yourself. If you look into it,it has to get pretty dam cold befor diesel will gell but it will thinken as it gets colder so you may have a hard time starting it.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:04 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
I checked the other day, my truck has about a half tank of diesel in the rear tank and who knows how long that's been in there...I got some Power Service Diesel Kleen with anti-gel so I'm gonna add that to both tanks tomorrow.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
im realy amazed about the mis-information there is about these trucks. diesel fuel dosent go rotten except in VERY rare cases of bacterial invasion. in 50 years, i have nefer seen it except in a large yacht. diesel fuel dose not gell until near 30 below zero. the old #2 fuel could gel at 15 below but most probems came from the wax solidifying and plugging the fuel filters. remember the last time it got to 2 or 30 below zero in your neck of the woods? if the fuel acctually gels up, the fuel heater wont help since the fuel will not flow throught to the engine. it will take on the consistency of thick jello dessert. i trucked to canada for years and only had my fuel gel up 3 times an then only on the off side fuel tank and each time it was below 30 below and several times 55 below zero. at 55 below zero, your problem wont be gelling, it will be to even get your engine to turn over unless your use synthetic motor oil and then it doubtfull that even starting fluid will get it to fire up. maybe a block heater could help get it fired up, but your would be in grave dange of sever frost bite at 55 below,,,hehe,,hell,,a zippo lighter wont fire up at 55 below.