Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

blew a fuse. need help

Old 10-31-2007, 05:47 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blew a fuse. need help

Ok messing around checking some things out today around the glow plug relay. after this the truck would not start and there is no wait to start light and i can't hear the relay click on. It is fuse #3 and is a 20amp its the panel in the dash. I don't have one to replace it with right now i'll pick one up later tonight. But i noticed when i went to push it back in after pulling it out to check to confirm a blown fuse it feels really lose in the socket i think i'll have to pull the whole fuse box down to push the connector pins back up into the fuse slot. any tips are helpful.

Also the GPR is that the front the rear.. i thought it was to be the front, but mine is wired to be the rear relay?

thanks

Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like PCM fuse i think. and check your fuel bowl heating element.
not much help here since i dont have schematics.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:51 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
and the gpr is the rear one. the front one is AIH element.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:52 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
ok i'll dig around looking for short.. I'm more worried about figuring out how to get the connection pins back into place on the fuse block so that when i push in the new fuse it will make contact ..

Old 10-31-2007, 05:59 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
well those female connectors are clipped in by small plastic tabs, if they brake or melt its a PITA. you can try to hold them in with the fingers and push the fuse in. than from the top use good silicon and put the drop in each hole. that shoud do it, dont put the bead over both contacts, silicon over time has conductive properties and will make short.
but before you put that fuse in see what cause that.
did you know what did you short? or it was just an freaky accident. but it sounds like fuel bowl heater to me.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
take flashlight and look inside those pins you should see the contacts there . and compare it to the one next to it.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:04 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
I was up in the engine bay. around the bowl and glowplug relay and AIH relay. checking connections and so on just normal tinkering around/maint. And when i went to start it it wouldnt'.. i did have it runing 10 mins before that so i know its related to that area and then i found the fuse that was blown. I am leaving for work and will start on it first then when i get up tomorrow afternoon. i'll keep you posted on what i find.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:42 AM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
Ok i couldn't stand not knowing what was wrong and i know i wouldn't be able to sleep until it was fixed. So i started on it as soon as i got home this morning. Fixed the fuse block so it would hold the fuse better. And i found the one wire (small one) that goes into the relay had a scuff and was bare and looked like it could have been in contact to the mount that holds the relays. So i taped that up and moved it so that it isn't close to the mount anymore and turned on the key.... still nothing no start light no fuel pump prime. So i moved on to the fuse box in the engine bay and i found one of the 30amp fuses blown. after some swearing because it was 5am and no place was open. So i borrowed one from my jeep mud buggy. put it in and it fired right up .

Old 11-01-2007, 03:10 PM
PETE'S_6.0PSD
Postmaster
sweet, that was easy.... glad you got her fixed.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_gt_350
Ok i couldn't stand not knowing what was wrong and i know i wouldn't be able to sleep until it was fixed. So i started on it as soon as i got home this morning. Fixed the fuse block so it would hold the fuse better. And i found the one wire (small one) that goes into the relay had a scuff and was bare and looked like it could have been in contact to the mount that holds the relays. So i taped that up and moved it so that it isn't close to the mount anymore and turned on the key.... still nothing no start light no fuel pump prime. So i moved on to the fuse box in the engine bay and i found one of the 30amp fuses blown. after some swearing because it was 5am and no place was open. So i borrowed one from my jeep mud buggy. put it in and it fired right up .
great job must have saved at least a $100 at the dealer looking for it your self..now you can put the 100 in the PMS account..

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Is it possible to take fuse box apart ?

Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
yeah their are 2 bolts on the top and 2 studs on the bottom by the E brake release. there is a clip style conector on the side next to the drivers door, and 2 bolt in connectors on the back bottom. after that you can take it out.

After you do that if you pull EVERY fuse out you can pop off the plastic cover that the fuses stick through. (make sure you replace correct fuse rating in the correct slot) this cover comes off and reveals the pins. there are only extenter pins on the ones that have fuses butif you look inside you can see a pin the same as whats on a fuse that the extender slides onto. So i was able to pull the 2 damaged extender parts out with needle nose pliers and rebend the tabs out so that it touches the fuse better and reinstall everything. it took about an hour or 1.5 hours for the complete job. thats finding the fuse under the hood and the short wire and then taking apart the fuse box and re-install.

I didn't get the fuse block apart far enough to see the wires on the inside as i figured out that i only needed to take the front part off. but there are star drives to take the whole thing apart if needed.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:21 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Thanks, mustang, I was starting to think it was a "time to replace deal. I have one fuse that is loose, its for my windows. When I drive in the rain, water comes in truck and shorts out switches. They should have left on rain gutters.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:21 PM
mustang_gt_350
Laughing Gas
If i would have a digital camera i would have taken pics. I was thinking that while was taking it apart that it would be useful to have pics of this if anyone asked.

Search this Thread