SES light

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SES light

i disconnected the red wastegate line a few nights back

on the interstate, if i lay it down with just my little itsy bitsy hypertech, at abuot 74 MPH, so iguess its closer to 84 on my speedo with my 37's, my SES light pops on

it goes away after about 1 min.

could i possibly be overboosting or do i have other issues because this light only comes on during WOT at interstate speeds and goes right away?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Overboost. Get an Overboost Annihlator from ITP Diesel.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok ijust thought it was odd with a hypertech and WG pulled

thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its probably been discused millions of times and I'm sorry for asking again but.. what exactly does disconnecting the waste gate line do? Is it recommended to use the Overboost Annihlator when the waste gate is disconnected?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
solareclpse2000
Senior User
im no genius on this,so dont quote me.but i think when you pull off the line then your wastegate dosent open....no wastegate open = more boost cuz when your wastegate opens its just releaseing the extra boost to keep from overboosting.kinda like a governor i guess you could call it that,but i think its more of a saftey feature. can someone else chime in please and make this sound less complicated?lol i confused myself.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Trailblazed
Senior User
Yeah, I always hear people talking about disconnecting it and knew it prevents the wastegate from opening.... but if its allowing more boost, cant that be a bad thing on a stock turbo? I'm still no familar with the diesel engines but learning more everyday. I thought about disconnecting mine to see what it does but didn't want a risk of something to go wrong.

Is that the loud shhhhhh noise I hear after I left off on the gas pedal.. the wastegate opening?

Old 10-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
When you remove red line on the wastegate actuator, it will delay opening, not prevent it (on a stock setup). Delaying the opening will make the turbo feel like it spools quicker. Exhaust backpressure will be enough at higher boost levels to overcome the spring in the wastegate actuator and open it up. If you want to keep the wastegate closed at all times, you have to wire it shut or re-adjust the wastegate actuator rod extra tight so it can't extend any further. Usually not the best of ideas when you are running a chip on a stock turbo, since you can easily exceed the 25 psi threshold of the turbo. At boost levels over 25 psi, you risk serious damage to the turbo due to the huge imbalance between boost and exhaust pressures.

Is that the loud shhhhhh noise I hear after I left off on the gas pedal.. the wastegate opening?
No, it's impossible to hear the wastegate opening up on these trucks. That noise you hear is all from the intake side of the turbo.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
solareclpse2000
Senior User
cool thnx pocket i wasnt too sure of my answer.lol i have to ask tho.im a simple term type of person,so if you disconnect the wastegate vaccum line from the turbo (on a stock setup) it will not damage your turbo/truck?or will it still damage it?

Old 10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
if you disconnect the wastegate vaccum line from the turbo (on a stock setup) it will not damage your turbo/truck?or will it still damage it?
Actually it's a pressure line, not vacuum :-)

It will damage the turbo if you consistently push beyond 25 psi of boost. If you don't have a chip, then don't worry because there's not enough fuel to boost the turbo that high.