Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No spark, fuel pump not turning on.. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 12:37 PM
jaystroker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No spark, fuel pump not turning on.. HELP!!!

Ok, my 87 f150 has a 300 six in it. I'm not getting any spark, fuel pump doesn't kick on but it turns over. Obviously it's not going to start, i tried to pull codes off the eec-IV and i'm not getting anything on my code reader. It never starts flashing just stays a steady red light. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-28-2007, 01:14 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 230 Likes on 179 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad ignition switch.

Last edited by subford; 10-28-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:04 PM
jaystroker
New User
I just changed the ignition switch and the old one was good. So i took the new one back. I made a jumper wire to get the fuel pump to work but when i take it away nothing happens. I am also not getting any voltage to my ignition coil. Does this help any? I have already changed out the fuel pump relay and the other relay, i think it is the eec relay. I have voltage going into both but nothing coming out. Could my computer be bad, and is there a way to test it out of the vehicle?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:14 PM
fordmancounty
Junior User
i'm having the same problem with my 87 except i have not checked for spark yet
i will do that tomorrow night when i get home. could the module on the distrubutor be bad? any help for me oe for jaystroker would be greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM
websthes
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bad ignition module

Old 10-28-2007, 06:51 PM
jaystroker
New User
What do you mean by bad ignition module? The ignition coil is new and the distributor tfi is new.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:04 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
No the computer and those two relays have nothing to do with power to ignition coil.
If you have no power at the ignition coil in start or run then I would still say check the wiring coming from the ignition switch to the ignition coil.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
dagray3
Senior User
wouldn't a bad computer cause the problems with the fuel pump circuit and the lack of code reader function? I don't know how real code readers work (I always just jumper the test port and read the test engine test light blinks). But if you can manually get the pumps to turn on, but the truck won't turn them on by itself, I am suspicious of the computer. Especially since you changed the relays. If there were problems with the circuitry (bad ground or something) the pumps wouldn't work when you jumpered them.

I don't know if there are tests to check if the computer is good or not. Neither do I know if you can drop out your computer and take it to a parts house and get it checked. But, I think you need to find a way to check the computer for proper function first.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:50 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by dagray3
wouldn't a bad computer cause the problems with the fuel pump circuit and the lack of code reader function? I don't know how real code readers work (I always just jumper the test port and read the test engine test light blinks). But if you can manually get the pumps to turn on, but the truck won't turn them on by itself, I am suspicious of the computer. Especially since you changed the relays. If there were problems with the circuitry (bad ground or something) the pumps wouldn't work when you jumpered them.

I don't know if there are tests to check if the computer is good or not. Neither do I know if you can drop out your computer and take it to a parts house and get it checked. But, I think you need to find a way to check the computer for proper function first.
If you are not getting power to the ignition coil then you are not getting power to the EEC Power Relay coil.
If the EEC Power Relay is not making then you are not getting Power to the Computer.
If you are not getting Power to the Computer you will not be able to read codes and it will not ground the injectors or ground the Fuel Pump Relay.

I have no idea where he jumped to get the fuel pumps to run but I would guess he jumped a hot wire to the wire going to the fuel pumps.

Until he can get the EEC power Relay to click and power to the Ignition Coil when he turns on the key he does not need to think about the computer.

If he has power leaving the Ignition switch and no power at the coil then he more than likely has a bad Fuse Link "D" or open wiring.
This open fuse link would cause all of this also and is in the diagram below.

/

Last edited by subford; 10-29-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:24 PM
jaystroker
New User
Okay everyone who has helped thankyou. I found my problem, it was the white and light blue wire coming from my eec power relay grounded. That wire runs to my ign. coil and then down to another sensor below it. Where it goes down the wire ended up shorting out on my engine mount thus causing everything not to work. I haven't fixed it yet, going to rewire that portion tommorow. Hopefully everything will work good.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
If the white and light blue wire shorted to ground your fuse link "D" is more than likely open also. You can see the white and light blue wire and fuse link "D" in the above diagram.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 PM
fordmancounty
Junior User
i have figured out what was wrong with mine it was the pick-up module in the distributor. i also checked mine for spark and didn't have any did some checking and found as way to check it. so onmy way to parts stor tomorrow night for parts. thank you all for your help.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM
dagray3
Senior User
jaystroker, could you let us know if the fusable link was bad as well? I am curious to know. I am trying to apprentice myself to Subford, and this helps me understand his explanation a little better.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
fordmancounty
Junior User
ok guys i'm still having a problem change module's and still nothing. any body else have an idea.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:46 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by fordmancounty
ok guys i'm still having a problem change module's and still nothing. any body else have an idea.
Did you check the Fuse Link?

Quick Reply: No spark, fuel pump not turning on.. HELP!!!